New members introduce yourself here

Rod Zombie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I cannot say how happy I am to have discovered these forums. Not only can I learn more about ASL, now I can spend even more "work" hours purusing my hobbies on the internet!

I was a big fan back when SL first appeared. I was in my early teens then, and I must have played Guards Counterattack a gajillion times. I stopped playing shortly after GI came out as girls and partying began to take precedence over board gaming. All my stuff went to the flea market where it was quickly snatched up by someone who obviously knew better than I did.

Now, many years and one divorce later I found Mr. Pitcavage's website while looking for scenario ideas for my miniature wargaming club. That got me fired up to jump into ASL, and over the last year I have been collecting and slowly learning/relearning the rules. I am trying to get my local mates to jump on the ASL bandwagon with me. The rule book still scares them, but hopefully the starter kits can pave the way. So far, the few that have joined me in a game have managed to put together a perfect string of victories against me. If you ever need an easy win at a tournament, apparently I'm your man.

A special thanks to everyone who has contributed a guide or who has a webpage with ASL resources. You all have made learning this game fun and more than a little easier than it would be otherwise.

Anyway, nice forums filled with what appear to be nice people. I hope some day to be able to speak in abbreviations and refer to rule sections with the best of you. :)

Cheers!

- Rod

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
It was a blast, and I learned a lot (mainly not to fear the firelane and to run through the dang thing).
Thats funny...that tactic never works for me; I end up dead or broken. :dead:
Welcome to GS Forums! :D

Anyway, nice forums filled with what appear to be nice people. I hope some day to be able to speak in abbreviations and refer to rule sections with the best of you. :)
A worthy ambition indeed! :smoke: Welcome to GS.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hello Everybody, I'm a french ASL player, i'm playing for one year. I got the Rule book, Beyond Valor, Yanks, Croix de Guerre and the 3 SK. I'm from Nates where we have a good club of asl (The NTC) and where i find some masters Kennobi for my initiation. I really like this game, I'm playing between 10 & 20 parties this years and a lot of "partie solo" (me against myself) at my work, because i'm a night watcher. I hope that forum help me to meet some foreign player, to have answers about rules, etc , etc. I'm happy to be a part of this great communauty. Best regards to all.
Hi There!

I love your Avatar! Its ol' 'Tuco' from "The Good The Bad And The Ugly" isn't it?
Welcome to the Forum. Apparently there is a French ASL forum too!

Regards.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hi,

Ruarigh Dale here. I started ASL back in the early 90s but have been out of it for a couple of years. I am hoping to get back into it ftf, but failing that I do like solitaire, as long as I can set it up away from the FOBA.

Cheers,
Ruarigh
Hi Ruarigh,

Where is North Ferriby? There are not many ASLers in UK but there might be some near you.

Welcome here!

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hi Ruarigh,

Where is North Ferriby? There are not many ASLers in UK but there might be some near you.

Welcome here!
Hi Again,

I've found N. Ferriby in the road atlas. I used to go out with a girl from Immingham - just south of you, and I visited Hull Art School. My Ex now lives in Grimsby with her *new* man. :angry:

I don't know of any ASLers in that area though...you would have thought there would be some in an area that populated.

Regards. :)

Sprocket

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Started watching 2 friends play ASL and one give me SK#1. And the wife likes the idea of me getting out of the house to play.

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Started watching 2 friends play ASL and one give me SK#1. And the wife likes the idea of me getting out of the house to play.

Well Sprocket you are in the right state. Almost every big town in Texas has an active group. There are links to them on this site:

http://www.texas-asl.com/

Highly recommend you hook up with a regular group makes learning ASL a whole lot shorter and much more fun!

Dano

n3ddy

Reaction score
Country
llSouth Africa
Righty-ho then! Recently joined the GS forums and have been lurking in the shadows until now... I have been a gamer for many moons (25-odd years) but only very recently decided to get stuck into ASL. Always thought it was waaaaaay too complicated. Previous attempts to play with mates of mine very nearly ended the friendships (LOS is ALWAYS a sticking point for us, no matter what the game is!) and so am going to try fly solo (via VASL) for a bit. Amazed at how elegantly simple the rules actually are, when you take the time to actually digest them.
Apart from ASL, I have also recently bought a couple of ATS games and like The Gamers series too. Problem is finding decent opponents! I live in South Africa (Yep, in the very town that gave the world Charlize Theron!) and gamers here are rarer than interesting conversations with my mother-in-law. Also spent a couple of years playing PC games as part of an online clan, but find them stultifyingly dull....
I'm a clinical psychologist who still consults in the military, and have found boardgames useful tools of my trade. I stopped playing games for a good 15 years after my military service, but have recently rediscovered this AMAZING hobby.
Cheers,
Neil

Last edited:

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I live in South Africa (Yep, in the very town that gave the world Charlize Theron!)
Could you please stop by her parents house and thank them for me? :yummy::laugh:

Welcome to ASL!

Semper Fi!
Scott

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Could you please stop by her parents house and thank them for me? :yummy::laugh:

Welcome to ASL!

Semper Fi!
Scott
Maybe get her mom some flowers from all of us? :yummy:

Oh yeah... hey to that Wes dude. Seems like a dork to me. :p

colonel kilgore

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I've actually been to Nantes (1980). (Sorry to hear your football team got relegated last year).

Hopefully I'll get to return one day. (Friends that live in Carnac Plage.) If so I'd love to attend an ASL meeting!

JT
Yes It's a tragedy but i think we come back in first division next season ...

If you come in nantes, contact me because we are a great player's group (with some experimented members and some newbies like me ) and we meet eachother every six week for playing, having fun and drinking beer and muscadet. You can touch me here or on the french forum (same "pseudo"). I hope I can fight against you one day ( on a card of course !).

rachetguy

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello... I'm Lance Jones residing in Nashville TN, USA. I go with the handle Rachetguy. I'm a veteran board gamer. I got started back in 1973 with Panzer Blitz and Blitzkrieg just after I entered the service, US Navy. I did have a dry spell in circa '98 when I moved to Nashville Tn. Searched as hard as I could but no board gamers. Plenty of miniature players tho'. Nyaa! Good for when the DT's hit. I hit the websites for ASL'rs. Got a few but none that had the time. Then a couple of months ago I got a call from one of them.. Michael Hershey! Ya.. he's a regular here on the boards too. Anyway Michael took me under his wing to get me back into playing ASL! 3 cheers for Michael!! And what a blast we've had. Oh there's been the one turn blow outs for each of us here and there...but the vast majority of our games have come down to that last possible die roll for victory or defeat! Ahhh, what more could you ask for! :) Anyway...glad to make ya'lls acquaintance!