Manila questions

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
SF4.9 OPEN AIR WORKSHOPS: ...Any HE (only) attack > 70mm (or DC/HEAT attack) with an Original IFT DR that causes a KIA on the appropriate IFT column eliminates the workshop with no effect on any occupants/Weapons...
This means the occupants/Weapons are not affected by the elimination of the Workshop - they are still affected by the KIA normally....I believe this has come up before...

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This means the occupants/Weapons are not affected by the elimination of the Workshop - they are still affected by the KIA normally....I believe this has come up before...
Ok...thanks...must have missed that piece of the discussion... 🤪

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The wording in the rule as originally submitted to MMP reads as follows...
"Any HE/OBA attack that obtains a final KIA result will eliminate that workshop. Place a Debris counter in that hex."

You would need to ask MMP "why" they felt the need to add the other wording into that rule. It makes no sense at all.

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
The wording in the rule as originally submitted to MMP reads as follows...
"Any HE/OBA attack that obtains a final KIA result will eliminate that workshop. Place a Debris counter in that hex."

You would need to ask MMP "why" they felt the need to add the other wording into that rule. It makes no sense at all.
So people wouldn‘t be confused and assume rubble rules apply and thus immediately eliminate all unarmored units in the workshop? Obviously could have phrased it better if that was the reason!

JOS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would appreciate some clarification on SF20.605 (Infiltration) from those 'in the know'.
  1. Is 'closer to .... unit(s)' calculated in each hex along the infiltrator's path, or only once at the beginning of the infiltration? In other words, may an infiltrator enter multiple hexes that are both closer to the enemy unit than the hex in which it started, but equidistant from that enemy unit once the infiltration is in progress?
  2. May an infiltrator change levels within a hex, which might be inferred from the last sentence of 20.605, and is not explicitly prohibited?
  3. May an infiltrator choose a new 'target' enemy unit if that unit becomes known during the infiltration, assuming it abides by the 5 hex maximum constraint?
  4. Given the italicized 'any time' in SF20.6062 (Control Markers), it would seem infiltrators may place control markers in each strategic location they move through. Correct?
To illustrate, see the Example on page SF16, and assume the units are as situated, but the Refit process is at Step 20.605 and so no Perimeter markers have been placed.
I. The Japanese 3-4-7 in 2H32(L1) wishes to infiltrate closer to the US 6-6-6 in 2D32.
i) Could it move 2G31(L1), 2G31(L0), 2F31, and 2E31, or does it not have the ability to change levels in 2G31?
ii) If it cannot change levels within a hex, assume instead that it is at ground level in 2H32, and the US 2-3-6 in the same hex and the 6-6-6 in 2D32 are both at Level 1. Clearly it could move either 2G31>2F31>2E31>2D32(L0) or 2G32>2F33>2E32>2D32(L0). However, could it enter both 2E31 and 2E32 in a single infiltration (e.g., 2G31>2F31>2E31>2E32), since they are each closer to 2D31 than 2H32?
II. The Japanese 4-4-7 in 2H33 wishes to infiltrate closer to the US 6-6-7 in 2G35.
iii) May it enter 2I34?
III. The Japanese 4-4-7 in 2L33 wishes to infiltrate closer to the M4A1 in 2J33.
iv) As it enters 2K33, assume it now has a clear LOS to the US 8-1 in 2J36. May it continue its infiltration through 2K34 and into 2J35 in order to get closer to the 8-1?

Thanks, Joshua

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does the "girder" looking artwork have any effect on LOS?

Does it have any effect on watercraft movement?

Last edited:

cwillmer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does the EXC in SF 20.6072 apply to this Type A Japanese pocket and control of ALL Locations in the pocket passes to the Americans?

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does the EXC in SF 20.6072 apply to this Type A Japanese pocket and control of ALL Locations in the pocket passes to the Americans?

View attachment 25713
I don't know about others, but I'd need a lot more information about what this is trying to describe, probably including how the perimeters came to be drawn.
Consider submitting a more detailed Q to asl_qa@multimanpublishing.com.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I don't know about others, but I'd need a lot more information about what this is trying to describe, probably including how the perimeters came to be drawn.
I am deeply unsettled...
Perry, you are our Rules God, so I felt certain that you could whip up the EXC to SF 20.607255839 by heart if need be (and if it existed). And you say that don't know? Say it ain't true!

Ah, wait!
Your purported lack of knowledge is only intended to make us mere mortals feel a bit better by seemingly sharing our weaknesses. This is heart-warming and my world is whole again.

;)

von Marwitz

cwillmer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am deeply unsettled...
Perry, you are our Rules God, so I felt certain that you could whip up the EXC to SF 20.607255839 by heart if need be (and if it existed). And you say that don't know? Say it ain't true!

Ah, wait!
Your purported lack of knowledge is only intended to make us mere mortals feel a bit better by seemingly sharing our weaknesses. This is heart-warming and my world is whole again.

;)

von Marwitz
Gotta love your take on Perry's response. But .....

I apologize for the poorly written question and example.

Assume the perimeter was drawn correctly. A Japanese Type A Pocket exists, i.e. containing no units. The pocket borders on the Pasig River. All other Locations ADJACENT to the pocket are either American controlled or No Mans Land. Does control of ALL Locations inside the pocket pass to the Americans? (See the EXC in SF 20.6072).

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am deeply unsettled...

Ah, wait!

;)

von Marwitz
Insufficient data to issue a pontification however I would presume.

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
I apologize if this question has been asked before, but "is there a way to tell what preorder number I am for Manila?" Preordered in early February. Would like to have a sense as to where I am in the queue (don't we all). Lol. I'm sitting at home in Pittsburgh with COVID and nothing to do (Pens got eliminated and the Pirates suck) - would love to be clippin' some counters! Thanks. :)
Yeah, the Pens getting eliminated was a bummer. However, I wouldn't say the Pirates suck. In-fact they are way better than normal this season. I think they'll lose ONLY 96-99 games this year... A VAST improvement.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
The Bucs are doing great this year. They've gotten my money for 5 games so far, with tix for two upcoming at the end of the month. You know it's a good year when baseball is still relevant in this town in JUNE and STL is in LAST place. !!

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
B23.82 CONCEALMENT: ...A unit can remain hidden or concealed on a rooftop only if there are no Good Order enemy ground units within 16 hexes of it that are at the same or higher level with a LOS to it...

SF9.11 INTRAMUROS WALLS: Intramuros Walls (EX: R24) surround Fort Santiago and Intramuros and are a Level 1 obstacle of non-burnable adobe with a rooftop-like Wall Location at Level 1...

Does this mean units in these locations lose concealment exactly per the rooftop rules?

@klasmalmstrom - thoughts?

Last edited:

gbartlett2001

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Our group is having a great time playing CG V from Sword and FIre but we are looking for clarification related to IJA units that can setup inside the Intramuros on Turn 3 in CG V.

The reinforcement chart for the Japanese has note "a" which says that there is an increased cost of one CPP for onboard setup on CG day purchase [EXC: Japanese setup in Intramuros in CG IV and V]. We have been playing this with the additional restriction of that setup occurring on Turn 3 based upon CG V Special Rule - CGV.1

CGV.1 calls out SSR CG11 includes a further restriction on this setup - shown below:

[EXC: Japanese set up in Intramuros in hexes numbered ≥ 16 in CG IV and CG V]

Here is our question -

Once the US has a presence inside the Intramuros - does this have any impact on the above restriction? In other words, can the Japanese player just setup units on Turn 3 anywhere inside the Intramuros in hexes ≥ 16? Can he setup these units in hexes that contain American units?

Also are we correct that this setup of Japanese units does not happen until Turn 3?

Thanks for all of the support provided for this module.

Gary

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Our group is having a great time playing CG V from Sword and FIre but we are looking for clarification related to IJA units that can setup inside the Intramuros on Turn 3 in CG V.

The reinforcement chart for the Japanese has note "a" which says that there is an increased cost of one CPP for onboard setup on CG day purchase [EXC: Japanese setup in Intramuros in CG IV and V]. We have been playing this with the additional restriction of that setup occurring on Turn 3 based upon CG V Special Rule - CGV.1

CGV.1 calls out SSR CG11 includes a further restriction on this setup - shown below:

[EXC: Japanese set up in Intramuros in hexes numbered ≥ 16 in CG IV and CG V]

Here is our question -

Once the US has a presence inside the Intramuros - does this have any impact on the above restriction? In other words, can the Japanese player just setup units on Turn 3 anywhere inside the Intramuros in hexes ≥ 16? Can he setup these units in hexes that contain American units?

Also are we correct that this setup of Japanese units does not happen until Turn 3?

Thanks for all of the support provided for this module.

Gary
Wow! The US is already inside Intramuros that early on?
Will try to answer as best as I can.
The Japanese will still need to abide by the set up areas described. In other words, they may not set up in any American controlled areas. They may not set up in locations that contain American units.
Yes, Japanese setting up inside Intramuros does not begin until turn 3.
Good luck. CG V is very tough on the US.

gbartlett2001

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow! The US is already inside Intramuros that early on?
Will try to answer as best as I can.
The Japanese will still need to abide by the set up areas described. In other words, they may not set up in any American controlled areas. They may not set up in locations that contain American units.
Yes, Japanese setting up inside Intramuros does not begin until turn 3.
Good luck. CG V is very tough on the US.
Thanks for the reply, we will adjust the IJA setup based upon your response.

As to the US being inside the Intramuros so early in the game, here is more background. The Japanese (me) player didn’t defend the area North of the Passig River as it didn’t contain any Victory locations and the troops were needed elsewhere. On Day 2 the US player purchased the amphibious assault units and under the cover of Smoke crossed the river and scaled the walls of Fort Santiago. It’s now Day 3 and the US is pushing pretty hard inside the Intramuros from north to south.

I guess we will see how this turn out, but as mentioned we are enjoying the game thus far.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the reply, we will adjust the IJA setup based upon your response.

As to the US being inside the Intramuros so early in the game, here is more background. The Japanese (me) player didn’t defend the area North of the Passig River as it didn’t contain any Victory locations and the troops were needed elsewhere. On Day 2 the US player purchased the amphibious assault units and under the cover of Smoke crossed the river and scaled the walls of Fort Santiago. It’s now Day 3 and the US is pushing pretty hard inside the Intramuros from north to south.

I guess we will see how this turn out, but as mentioned we are enjoying the game thus far.
Glad you are enjoying the CG...it is a monster. While the north shore has no victory points, I found it still important to make at least a token defense there. My last playing of CG5 I placed a couple squads, an 8-0, a couple LMG's, a couple crews and two of the big mortars plus one artillery piece there. I used the squads as Spotters for the mortars and was able to bring deadly fire down on any US units moving near the south shore and throughout Intramuros. It forced the US player to devote valuable resources to eliminate my units. I knew they would all die eventually but they did their job at minimal cost. Let us know how your game progresses.