Manila questions

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
This LVT is in Motion and wants to move to 3D8, cross the seawall stop, and unload its infantry passengers. What are the MPs expended per hex, either Land or Amphibious?
I believe it's like this:
Enter 3D6 - 1 Amphibious MP (lose 4 Land MP).
Enter 3D7 - 1 Amphibious MP (lose 4 Land MP).

So now the LVT has 4 Land MP left.

Enter 3D8 - assuming the Tide is High, it will cost 1 MP (land) for gaining elevation per SF6.21 +1 MP (open ground cost) + 1 MP (crossing the wall). So now the LVT will have spend 11 MP (land). So it could Stop for the last MP.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello, yes .. they are not retained into the next CG date. A downside to buying them. Is that what you are pointing out?
Yup....also pointing out how vulnerable they are in city fighting. I recall more than a couple brewing up when an HIP Japanese dropped a DC from an upper level right into the open compartment of the LVT. Nasty.

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yup....also pointing out how vulnerable they are in city fighting. I recall more than a couple brewing up when an HIP Japanese dropped a DC from an upper level right into the open compartment of the LVT. Nasty.
Thanks for the thoughts, agree 100%

cwillmer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SF 5.3 Buttresses. The LOS from 3D11 to the center dot of 3C11 crosses the buttress, a level 1 obstacle.

Is the LOS blocked? If no, what, if any, TEM applies to the shot?

Is it possible to move directly from 3D11 to 3C11? If yes, what is the MF/MP cost?

Is it possible to use bypass movement "around" the buttress?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
SF 5.3 Buttresses. The LOS from 3D11 to the center dot of 3C11 crosses the buttress, a level 1 obstacle.

Is the LOS blocked? If no, what, if any, TEM applies to the shot?
No, terrain usually don't block LOS to/from the hex it is in. TEM would be +1 since 3C11 is an Elevated Bridge.

Is it possible to move directly from 3D11 to 3C11? If yes, what is the MF/MP cost?
Yes, to beneath the Bridge Location.

Is it possible to use bypass movement "around" the buttress?
No, but you can enter the hex beneath the Elevated Bridge normally I think.

Last edited:

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Klas is discussing units on the bridge.
The Location underneath the bridge is Open Ground, and you can move from 3D11 to that Location normally.
The buttresses do not provide TEM or affect movement, only LOS through the bridge hex.

cwillmer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Klas is discussing units on the bridge.
The Location underneath the bridge is Open Ground, and you can move from 3D11 to that Location normally.
The buttresses do not provide TEM or affect movement, only LOS through the bridge hex.
Thanks Klas and Perry. I should have made it clear that I was asking about under the bridge.

gbartlett2001

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playing CG5 and wondering about the American perimeter.

The American player controls everything North of the Pasig River but does not control the Isla de Convalescencia nor the Isla Provisor. The American player also controls the eastern board edge and the southern board edge.

Does this create two separate perimeters, one north of the river and another south of the river, or are these two perimeters connected? The reason for the question relates to the ability of the American player to move units from the southern sector to the sector north of the Pasig River as part of their setup on a new CG day.

The rules say -

b) American RG. All purchased/Retained RG/units may set up in non-Isolated Locations within their Perimeter ≥ 2 hexes from all Japanese Front Line Locations. I/HW/V RGs cost one additional CPP for onboard setup on CG Day of purchase. Otherwise, RGs enter from offboard on/after Turn 1 on friendly-Controlled hexes per the SSR for that CG.

So it seems that in order to move units as mentioned above this would need to be a single perimeter.

Thoughts ?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Apologies if this has been asked before. The questions regards CG9.
May on board units that set up on board first, with the enemy not yet placed, be concealed if in Concealment Terrain?
I believe the answer to be a clear yes.

The second player sets up, may his units setting up in Concealment Terrain be concealed, even if in LOS of enemy units, by placing an RePh "?" on them?
My suspicion is no, but this is what I need to confirm the most.
Thanks,
Carl

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Apologies if this has been asked before. The questions regards CG9.
May on board units that set up on board first, with the enemy not yet placed, be concealed if in Concealment Terrain?
I believe the answer to be a clear yes.

The second player sets up, may his units setting up in Concealment Terrain be concealed, even if in LOS of enemy units, by placing an RePh "?" on them?
My suspicion is no, but this is what I need to confirm the most.
Thanks,
Carl
This was my take on this: http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/manila-questions.168500/page-18#post-2109923

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
<<
Oct 31, 2022
Here's is my take on this...

CG9. CONCEALMENT: All Infantry (and their possessed Weapon) setting up in Concealment Terrain may always be set up concealed if out of enemy LOS. Otherwise, A12.12 applies normally. Other eligible units may be concealed prior to the opponent viewing the setup. “?” purchased in the RePh are intended mainly for use as dummies.

CG15. CONCEALMENT: All Infantry (and their possessed Weapon) setting up in Concealment Terrain may do so concealed, regardless of LOS. Such “?” need not be purchased; i.e., they are placed freely. Otherwise, A12.12 and A12.34 apply. The side setting up first may conceal all eligible units before the other side views its setup; likewise, the side setting up second may conceal all eligible units before his opponent views that setup. “?” purchased in the RePh (11.6121) are intended mainly for use as dummies.

The red text is what differs between Manila and Red Barricades. The blue text in CG15 is, IMO, really not needed, just an extra clarification. The "general" part about "Otherwise, A12.12 apply." is present in both SSR.

The green text says - again IMO - the same thing....just in different words.

So the main difference is the red text. Lets say I set up first, and my opponent has Isolated units left onboard from the previous CG scenario. If I set them up in Concealment Terrain in LOS of those Isolated units, I don't get Concealment for free - I would need to use purchased "?" counters. In Red Barricades I could set them up Concealed "for free".

Besides this, any unit I set up outside of the Isolated units' LOS I can place "?" on - per the green text. Then my opponent does his setup, with the same restrictions.

So, technically, I believe that "setting up in Concealment Terrain" in the first sentence of CG9 might be somewhat superfluous, since getting a free "?" if setting up out of LOS applies to all units.

Of course, I could be missing something...>>

Thanks Klas. This definitely helps. The line that threw me off was, "mainly for use as dummies" which had us wondering if you got to place '?' on units at all.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Playing CG5 and wondering about the American perimeter.

The American player controls everything North of the Pasig River but does not control the Isla de Convalescencia nor the Isla Provisor. The American player also controls the eastern board edge and the southern board edge.

Does this create two separate perimeters, one north of the river and another south of the river, or are these two perimeters connected? The reason for the question relates to the ability of the American player to move units from the southern sector to the sector north of the Pasig River as part of their setup on a new CG day.

The rules say -

b) American RG. All purchased/Retained RG/units may set up in non-Isolated Locations within their Perimeter ≥ 2 hexes from all Japanese Front Line Locations. I/HW/V RGs cost one additional CPP for onboard setup on CG Day of purchase. Otherwise, RGs enter from offboard on/after Turn 1 on friendly-Controlled hexes per the SSR for that CG.

So it seems that in order to move units as mentioned above this would need to be a single perimeter.

Thoughts ?
No matter how many different sections of the perimeter there are, each side only has one whole and single perimeter. Even if sections of it are separate from each other.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think I know the answer...BUT...

Are the hexes with only two Palm Tree depictions treated EXACTLY the same as those with four depictions for LOS, blind hex and hindrance purposes?

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is how we are playing it, I would have rather just had them draw some trees over the road to make sure there was no confusion but I'm a software engineer, not an artist (or module designer)

Last edited:

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SF4.9 OPEN AIR WORKSHOPS: ...Any HE (only) attack > 70mm (or DC/HEAT attack) with an Original IFT DR that causes a KIA on the appropriate IFT column eliminates the workshop with no effect on any occupants/Weapons...

So by a strict reading of this any KIA result vs an open air workshop destroys the workshop but leaves all occupants/weapons untouched.

So despite getting a KIA result on the IFT the enemy units therein are immune to its effects?

However, I'm assuming then that if you get a K/MC result on the IFT then the units therein are subject to those effects while the workshop itself is undamaged?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
SF4.9 OPEN AIR WORKSHOPS: ...Any HE (only) attack > 70mm (or DC/HEAT attack) with an Original IFT DR that causes a KIA on the appropriate IFT column eliminates the workshop with no effect on any occupants/Weapons...

So by a strict reading of this any KIA result vs an open air workshop destroys the workshop but leaves all occupants/weapons untouched.

So despite getting a KIA result on the IFT the enemy units therein are immune to its effects?

However, I'm assuming then that if you get a K/MC result on the IFT then the units therein are subject to those effects while the workshop itself is undamaged?
Doesn't make much sense to me as it is written. Interesting. 🤔