Drop Zone: Sainte-Mère-Église

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Had a question about Paratrooper scenarios converted for this module but I guess there's no point asking it here now. I doubt Perry is monitoring it anymore (don't see why he'd waste his time with drivel).

I've noticed that the guys who used to actually discuss ASL strategy and such are hardly ever around anymore (Bishop, Tate, JR Tracy, JRV, Blackcloud, Pitman, several others). When I see threads that should be informative deteriorate into pages of stupid, pretty unfunny puns, I think I see why.

No doubt I'll be seen as a humorless curmudgeon for this post. So be it. From my perspective, there is hardly anything left here other than 'humor' anymore (using that term broadly), and I think it's a bit sad when a thread for information or thoughts on a new official product gets hijacked by pages of stupidity.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Sort of disappointed that this started down that slippery slope. It was meant to be informative.
I admit, I did make a post with bovine humor.
Faded, I agree with you: A lot of well known names have disappeared from GS, and I also have noted a steady decrease in CSW postings as well.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Did the humor send those characters away? or
Does the fact that those characters are away bring on the humor (otherwise there's nothing left)?

Will stopping the humor bring those characters back? or
Will stopping the humor result in silence?

Time to step up and BE those "characters", fill the intellectual void?

Otherwise, we can also say "Come on y'all - cut the crap and post interesting stuff up here for my reading pleasure!"

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Had a question about Paratrooper scenarios converted for this module but I guess there's no point asking it here now. I doubt Perry is monitoring it anymore (don't see why he'd waste his time with drivel).
Perry is not above trudging through some cow flop to get the job done, but that doesn’t mean he can answer your question.

FMFCB

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llCanada
Does the fact that those characters are away bring on the humor (otherwise there's nothing left)?

Otherwise, we can also say "Come on y'all - cut the crap and post interesting stuff up here for my reading pleasure!"
I don't think the humor (???) drove people away. It's the time to wade through it to get to the few gems posted. I've stopped reading a number of times if jokes/puns take over.

Yes we all should step up and we should also tell others when it's time to cut the crap.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I don't think the humor (???) drove people away. It's the time to wade through it to get to the few gems posted. I've stopped reading a number of times if jokes/puns take over.

Yes we all should step up and we should also tell others when it's time to cut the crap.
True. Although pun jokes are a form of audience engagement, once we get rid of this demographics as well, there will be a lot less to wade through. Just imagine how much easier your life will be - if all we have to do is to wade thru people reading off preorder counts!!

If that’s the case, preorder count announcers might lose interest as well because there is a lot less audience to write to.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Thread hijacking happens and we all have done it.
The Mila18 NoNeSense threads were even created to dump nonsensical posts - I started that about 15 years ago.
Humour is not in question.
The problem is when a thread that could be a serious resource is swamped by heavy not-so-funny posts.
I am grateful, at least, that rules questions threads are rarely hijacked. Those are the most useful ones.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

I can understand Faded 8-1's frustration that this thread lost it's direction. My heart and gut feeling however are with hongkongwargamer. I think his assessment was spot on and very well presented. I especially agree with him that why some notable players no longer post here has nothing to do with humor hijacking threads. Anyone who has followed the forum for the last couple of years has seen that players will get their panties in a knot and leave over all kind of issues. I don't recall humor hijacking a thread being one of them.

Still 8-1 has a valid point and a legitimate complaint. Having willingly joined the hijacking of numerous threads I apologize and have attempted to mend my ways. Heathens and sailors are hard to retrain and being both please be patient with lapses on my part.

All that being said as an originator of far too many threads I would rather see them remain active due to humor than die due to disinterest. YMMV

Last edited: