Doomed Battalions 4th on Preorder

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm in the UK - I buy from one particular outlet who, I assume, add a surcharge to what I pay to cover their shipping ( still comes out to the US price I think )....

Are you saying there are no such outlets in Canada ? Or is it that shipping over the border just gets charged extortionate prices full stop..?
A bit of both. It wasn't so bad when they just shipped through normal USPS service, but International Priority almost doubles that. I mean, I just had Xavier from LFT ship me LFT 16 from France through reputable shipping with tracking for half what MMP is charging me from Maryland.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
International priority is an insane way to ship anything that's not time sensitive. Especially something with some weight to it.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A bit of both. It wasn't so bad when they just shipped through normal USPS service, but International Priority almost doubles that. I mean, I just had Xavier from LFT ship me LFT 16 from France through reputable shipping with tracking for half what MMP is charging me from Maryland.
Hey what's the process with LFT? I just placed an order and it didn't ask me for payment. Does he just contact you?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
What I find intriguing, is that the rules from TotR (railroads, late war SS) are included in DB.
Is it the first time that a core module includes rules from another core module – and rules that are apparently not relevant to the module?

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey what's the process with LFT? I just placed an order and it didn't ask me for payment. Does he just contact you?
Yes, I placed the order on their site (I already had a profile) and X contacted me by email to let me know the cost with shipping and then sent me a PayPal money request.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What I find intriguing, is that the rules from TotR (railroads, late war SS) are included in DB.
Is it the first time that a core module includes rules from another core module – and rules that are apparently not relevant to the module?
Isn't that simply to update the core module rules for people that haven't purchased TotR?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Isn't that simply to update the core module rules for people that haven't purchased TotR?
TotR being a core module, this seems to be the first time that a core module updates the rulebook with the rules of another core module.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Since the Polish Eagles MMC are in DBv4, it's not all that surprising - IMO - that at least the Chapter A pages are included in DBv4 as well....

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Still nothing about a Chapter H update to include the new Axis Minor tanks, nor the PaK 185 from TotR.
Maybe on the next eASLRB update?

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TotR being a core module, this seems to be the first time that a core module updates the rulebook with the rules of another core module.
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, hasn't every recent core module update come with replacement pages for the rules? AoO, HP, CdG, Hollow Legions just from memory all came with updated rules pages.

FrankH.

Reaction score
At least I am not the only person who noticed this. Though the only parts not (currently) relevant to Doomed Battalions are the "late-war" SS. Early war presummably would have seen plenty of railroads, rail cars and debris.

I can foresee potential scenarios involving independent Greeks or Yugoslavs (not necessarily depicted by partisan counters) vs. late-, or perhaps mid-war interpretations of "SS". Certainly throughout most of the war, Partisans vs. some/many different versions of "SS" units.

I think it makes some sense: the TotR rules and overlays for railroads, rail cars, SS types, and debris rules are to be a major addenda to the system. But not everyone will necessarily be sufficiently interested in "late-war" to purchase TotR. Others may decide to get these same rules with a purchase of this 4th ed. of Doomed Battalions.

Certainly it might make more sense to include these SS counters with a new issue of Partisan (if the whole Partisan genre is upgraded, and separated from Armies of Oblivion, and though I think this may make some sense I have no idea if anyone is planning it).

I would think that officially speaking the Doomed Battalions scenarios and rules probably end with the fall of Greece, and with the fall of Indonesia. Maybe someone knows otherwise. Maybe there are other ideas?

Hutch

Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
With the listed scenarios, the latest is 03/42 in Java.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, hasn't every recent core module update come with replacement pages for the rules? AoO, HP, CdG, Hollow Legions just from memory all came with updated rules pages.
Not pages already published in another core module.

Hutch

Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
From what I understand, those will be in Polish Eagles. But I have been known to be wrong. :(

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I agree...never mind Europe...It is costing me over $53 USD to get it to Ottawa.
I ordered TotR from Le Valet de Cœur in Montreal. I live in a suburb of Montreal, about 30 km (20 miles) away from the store. Shipping cost me five dollars. As well, because i “pre-ordered” through them they gave a 10% discount on their retail price. Perhaps you should contact them by email and see what it would cost through them.

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I ordered TotR from Le Valet de Cœur in Montreal. I live in a suburb of Montreal, about 30 km (20 miles) away from the store. Shipping cost me five dollars. As well, because i “pre-ordered” through them they gave a 10% discount on their retail price. Perhaps you should contact them by email and see what it would cost through them.
Thanks Michael. I hadn't considered that as I thought that the shipping from Montreal would make a non-starter. I will look into that for the next major module.