Broken Ground Design Counters

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Here's a curiosity I only noticed today.

View attachment 2515 View attachment 2516

Why does this AT gun have the s6, HE7, and No shield designations on both sides of the counter, instead of only on the Limbered side?
Post #23 {{{Are there not going to be Lettered IDs for individual squads? Normally unimportant, there are a fair few scenarios where you must, for example, designate two of your squads as Fanatic/Assault Engineers/etc but the enemy does not know which ones. With nothing to differentiate one squad from another, this could quickly become an issue in-scenario. With no Chinese OOB, at least one need not pre-record Dare-Death squads, or later be able to identify their CR'd HS.}}} Though there was no designer response to this question, I was fairly willing to forgo no Lettered IDs for individual squads/HS. It appears there will also be no Lettered IDs on individual Guns/Vehicles?

Sorry, but that took me from "probably will still buy anyway" to "no longer interested at all". Only constructive criticism, not trying to piss on your parade. I really like the artwork that I have seen, and the unpublished offshoots like Free French and multiple Partisan nationalities, but Guns/AFVs (and I'm assuming ACQ counters from the photos) with no lettered identification? I don't see how one could keep track of it all in anything but a tourney-size scenario or slightly larger; and I wouldn't buy counters if I had to letter them myself.

Let me know if you ever decide to add Lettered IDs, at a minimum to the AFV/Guns/ACQ. I would likely buy some of them then.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Post #23 {{{Are there not going to be Lettered IDs for individual squads? Normally unimportant, there are a fair few scenarios where you must, for example, designate two of your squads as Fanatic/Assault Engineers/etc but the enemy does not know which ones. With nothing to differentiate one squad from another, this could quickly become an issue in-scenario. With no Chinese OOB, at least one need not pre-record Dare-Death squads, or later be able to identify their CR'd HS.}}} Though there was no designer response to this question, I was fairly willing to forgo no Lettered IDs for individual squads/HS. It appears there will also be no Lettered IDs on individual Guns/Vehicles?

Sorry, but that took me from "probably will still buy anyway" to "no longer interested at all". Only constructive criticism, not trying to piss on your parade. I really like the artwork that I have seen, and the unpublished offshoots like Free French and multiple Partisan nationalities, but Guns/AFVs (and I'm assuming ACQ counters from the photos) with no lettered identification? I don't see how one could keep track of it all in anything but a tourney-size scenario or slightly larger; and I wouldn't buy counters if I had to letter them myself.

Let me know if you ever decide to add Lettered IDs, at a minimum to the AFV/Guns/ACQ. I would likely buy some of them then.
You're mistaking the individual images that I create and post with the sheets laid out with multiple copies of each image, over which a layer of IDs is placed.

Squads/HS have IDs A-T (max.), Crews have 1-10, SMC are named [EXC: my new variable additions], AFV/Ordnance are A-H (max.). The pics of sheet layouts I've posted above show the IDs (the poor photography makes it difficult to see - sorry).

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am now _just_ starting to get excited to receive MY GROFAZ pack. Now that there is a print run and (I hope) each counter is being inspected for errata. The way I'm starting to feel (about these counters), is as they used to say back in the big one " Home by Christmas ". ;)

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
While I find the ID letters a little bit hard on my eyes, in very many, if not most, cases the ID is irrelevant for MMC, AE or Dare Death being the few exceptions. Acquisition matching for guns or vehicles could be more of a problem but unless you are playing "Flying Turrets", the extra care checking ID will not add much to confusion or playing time. So I give a thumbs up.

I did a few counters many years ago and those were because they were not already in the system and just for the hell of it. So I have some very, very rough idea of what is involved. There is no way in hell I would contemplate doing a whole nationality, never mind multiple nationalities. While over the time that you worked on it, my reaction was "Hmmm, very nice, good work", it finally dawned on me the sheer magnitude of the task and the resultant excellent results. So I have to belatedly tip my hat to and salute you! :clap:

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
You're mistaking the individual images that I create and post with the sheets laid out with multiple copies of each image, over which a layer of IDs is placed.

Squads/HS have IDs A-T (max.), Crews have 1-10, SMC are named [EXC: my new variable additions], AFV/Ordnance are A-H (max.). The pics of sheet layouts I've posted above show the IDs (the poor photography makes it difficult to see - sorry).
Thanks for the reassuring reply. I don't know a lick about image creation, layering, and so forth; and my computer skills are relegated to surfing forums/YouTube and sending e-mails <seriously!>. I do however enjoy your counters (with Lettered ID :D), so I'll have to take a second look at your site this weekend and put together an order.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
One other aspect of my AFV/Ordnance counters, for which I will need to post pics to show: the reverse side of the counters (Vehicle Wreck; Ordnance Malf/Limbered) also has the name of the AFV/Gun, often in longer form.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am now _just_ starting to get excited to receive MY GROFAZ pack. Now that there is a print run and (I hope) each counter is being inspected for errata. The way I'm starting to feel (about these counters), is as they used to say back in the big one " Home by Christmas ". ;)
I only need to get enough pre-orders to make it happen. ;)

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for the reassuring reply. I don't know a lick about image creation, layering, and so forth; and my computer skills are relegated to surfing forums/YouTube and sending e-mails <seriously!>. I do however enjoy your counters (with Lettered ID :D), so I'll have to take a second look at your site this weekend and put together an order.
The last time I tried counting (late March), I had around 6,000 image files. Rest assured that it has gone up since then.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I only need to get enough pre-orders to make it happen. ;)
I'd suggest including a link to the place to pre-order in your signature. I had no interest in new counters . . . until I saw the proofs and I have to say I am very impressed and would certainly consider pre-ordering.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My attempts at putting a hot-link in my sig do not seem to be successful. :(

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What is needed are AR's, SR's, FFE 1 and 2's in nationality counters, even better if the arty size is included. Tough playing CG's and only three colors available.