Boosting VASL memory usage under Vista

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Guys I understamd that you can increase the memory VASL uses and have managed to do this under a winXP machine but now my good lady has invested in a swanky new machine which runs Vista. I tried following the process with the previous instruction and failed miserably. Now the problem is almost certainly due to the user (me) but could anyone confirm whether the process is the same under Vista as it is under XP?
Thanks in advance.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Looking to play Mr V? As a Gentleman Of Leisure(tm) I'm sure I could help you out, assuming Susan lets you play with her new toy :)

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The process should be the same. (I'm avoiding Vista tooth and nail.) The file you end up modifying tells the Java Virtual Machine how much memory to use (if it can). It should be portable between Windows/Mac/Linux if you can find the correct configuration file.

I expect you may have edited the wrong file, or not quite gotten the syntax correct. Usually a program expects a specific layout of the configuration options, and defaults to something else when they get read in and seem garbled. Spaces and punctuation count more than they do in the written word. As for the wrong file, each version of the VASL program you've run on the machine may have it's own configuration file, so make sure you have the right file.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've followed the speed up Vasl thread but my shortcut directs me to a javaws file rather than any AMvasl files. In fact I cannot find any AMvasl files when I search the machine.
Like I said it's almost certainly the user.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Looking to play Mr V? As a Gentleman Of Leisure(tm) I'm sure I could help you out, assuming Susan lets you play with her new toy :)
Would love to but I forgot to check back on the thread until now and you'll be in bed no doubt!
I'll drop you a line when I know what days I'm offf next week.

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you running from a permanent install, or restarting each time from a link to vasl.org?

If you're using the link, there may be a problem with the configuration file getting downloaded new each time. I'm not sure where to go to change your settings in this case...

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
how do I tell which I am doing short of switchibng the router off?
Desktop link would point to "www.vasl.org/<something here maybe>/vasl5.jnlp", local install would point to a folder on your hard drive.

And the router thing won't work, because if it can't reload from the website, it goes to the cached version on the hard drive (as a backup if the current version is unavailable).

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
i've got little experience w/ Vista, but it seems likely that its Explorer has a setting that needs to be changed - 'show system/hidden files' or suchlike.

The Java6 JRE changed its filing system & naming-convention for cached apps like VASSAL & VASL. You can find its general location from Settings > Control Panel > Java > General tab > Temporary Internet Files section > Settings button.

Once you've turned on the Explorer's display of these files & located the Java cache directory, you'll still need to read your VASL shortcut's Properties to find the Target javacache dir & file, which might be named something like "5918cf3c-78c971d0" with no 3-letter file-extension. You'll want to edit this 2KB-sized file in your text-editor, *not* the 1KB-sized "5918cf3c-78c971d0.idx" file that lives beside it.

hth - also, the next VASSAL upgrade will put settings for the initial/maximum RAM in the VASL user-prefs dlog, which will be a big relief for everyone!

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks guiuys finally got it.
The problem was I had to copy and paste out the target so got this:
C:\Windows\System32\javaws.exe -offline "C:\Users\Susan\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\57\7aa152f9-5cf2d648"

it was the second part of the target I needed.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Next question what's the max memory allocation recommended? I have it as 1024 just now. Is it wirth doubleing or even quadrupleing it?

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More memory is always better, but there is diminishing returns.

Really it depends on what else you are running while playing vasl. If you have Skype, and a CD player and a email app, and some spreadsheet app running at the same time, don't declare a substantial portion of your memory.

If all you're running is VASL and a voice chat of some sort, do at least half the free RAM in the system if not 75%. Declare too much and you may end up with lots of memory objects getting written to disk (virtual memory) which is much slower.

Bigkayeh

Court Jester of absurdity
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Next question what's the max memory allocation recommended? I have it as 1024 just now. Is it wirth doubleing or even quadrupleing it?
I am running vasl at 1024 and it runs satisfyingly well with virtually no hang ups.

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The real question is how much memory does your system have, followed shortly by is it running fast enough already?

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
hi Vinnie,
what you need is to assign VASL enough mem to run in RAM, w/o having to use the system pagefile (hard disk memory, also called scratch-disk or swap-file), 'cos Java performs really poorly when it starts using the pagefile.

Personally, I'm set at 384MB for both initial & max Java RAM, but I have the userpref "High-quality image scaling (requires more memory)?" checked OFF. If you've got this pref checked ON, there's no need for you to go past 512MB for initial/max RAM.

As best I can determine, VASL needs a certain amount of memory, which gets used up by several factors:
- javaw.exe uses a fixed amount,
- vassalengine uses a fixed amount,
- VASL uses a fixed amount,
- whatever Extensions (including VASL4.mdx) you've got use what they need,
- displaying a map requires what the map needs, which is greatly increased by checking the above-mentioned userpref ON (iirc, this pref caches the zoom-in/out map-views at start-up for faster access)
- the on-map ctrs & overlays need space, too.

So you've got the fixed amount req'd by Java/VASSAL/VASL,
the variable amount req'd by your loaded Extensions,
& the amount req'd by your savegame file, which will include its map(s), overlays, & counters.

IMO you're gonna need a rilly monster game in order to need more than 512MB for Java RAM. I say, set your memallocation at 512 (for hi-Q image scaling) or 384 (for non-hi-Q image scaling) w/ this statement:
<j2se version="1.5+" initial-heap-size="384m" max-heap-size="384m"/>
or
<j2se version="1.5+" initial-heap-size="512m" max-heap-size="512m"/>

Keep in mind that your box has a fixed amount of RAM, that some of this is req'd for normal system functions, and more will be needed depending on whatever else you've got running while playing VASL, such as Skype, or spreadsheets, or browser or CD-player or whatever.

Those initial/max-heap-size statements will 'reserve' the stated amount of RAM for VASL, provided that you've got at least that same amount available for allocation. So, if your box only has 512meg of RAM, it's pointless to specify heap-sizes of 512 or greater just for VASL.

The default allocation when VASL starts will be 64meg, this amount was enough under the prior VASLv5.7/VASSALv2.8 to run a 'standard' geo-board scenario, but won't be large enough to start VASSALv3.0, let alone run a game, before it exceeds 64meg.

At least 128meg is needed now, w/ more for hi-Q image-scaling and/or large or CG-size games to open in RAM.

This mem-allocation will live in the userprefs once VASSALv3.1 is released, & the vassalengineers have decreased the amount of mem needed for image-handling.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can check your memory usage with jconsole or the system monitor. Run that while using your other applications and see for yourself. Load up a big game and set your memory a little bit higher depending on your comfort factor. Adjust if your system starts to bog down.

VASSAL 3.1 sounds like a nice upgrade.

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
VASSAL 3.1 sounds like a nice upgrade.
here're some of 3.1's new features, its beta2 is just out, so i'll be testing later today:

* Improved installation: For Windows, a real Windows installer/uninstaller.
For Macs, a single-file disk image. Download, click, and install.

* File associations: Files with .vmod, .vsav, and .vlog extensions are
now associated with VASSAL (on Windows and Macs). Double-click a module
to load it in VASSAL!

* New Module Manager frontend: The Module Manager displays all of your
modules and save/log files, giving you a convenient way to organize
them all.

* Improved memory management: VASSAL now uses significantly less memory
for various graphics-related tasks. Heap sizes may be set from within
VASSAL via the Preferences.

* Improved zooming: Zoom your maps to whatever size you want.