Ben Jones beaten

CraigBenn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Finished a very tense 7 hour game of Hill 253.5 today with Ben Jones that went right to the wire. That's right - the amazing wire of panzer killing. Ben as Germans sets up his schwerpunkt with virtually everything on the extreme left. My wire is HIP until after he's set up at which point he realises he's completely boxed in by two hexes of wire and has no option but to impale himself on it. Four bog checks later and two half tracks, and both Panther D's are bogged. A 76L gun kills both halftracks, carelessly loaded with full squads...dude this isn't 1941...one of the Panthers expend a start mp and its engine overheats and it burns.

His elefant malfs its main gun and gacks the repair roll. By end of German turn2 he's lost 80% of his armour and 3 squads to no Russian losses. In fact his first roll of the game in the rally phase cost him a half squad when he rolled a 12 to deploy. Rolling boxcars dosn't normally allow you to deploy, but it does when there are booby traps.

Ben might reasonably argue his superior skill in bringing it back to a situation where a German win was likely. He might mention my careless OBA positioning, or the fact I placed my reinforcements after a wind change dice roll. But do you know what I'd say to that...

Conan, what is best in life?
To crush your enemy, to drive them before you, and hear the lamentation of their womenfolk.

Oh yeeeahhhh....whats that? The sound of your momma crying from seven miles away. F'sure.

Victory is sweet indeed. Wait! whats that sound from all around the UK? dude....it's the sounds of newbies mocking you, Ben Jones.

If you don't know Ben, and you have any sympathy for him, read the Scotland the Brave AAR and you'll know why this needed to be said.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

:joy:

:clap:

Congratulations Craig! Obviously Ben didn't have 'those' dice with him!

Andy

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"craig.....talks....s h i t"

Reduced to 3 word replies Ben? He must have beat your ass even worse than it sounds...

Hee hee :)

Last edited:

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"craig.....talks....s h i t"

Reduced to 3 word replies Ben? He must have beat yout ass even worse than it sounds...

Hee hee :)
But doesn't this trash-talking just make you wish you could play these guys?

This is my kind of ASL!

JT

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
hehe

we're playing the first CG of OVHS today.

watch this space. Craig should be working, but he's got a strike day. so he should be on the picket line. but he's playing asl.

death to the scab!

b e n

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
But doesn't this trash-talking just make you wish you could play these guys?

This is my kind of ASL!

JT

Careful your wish may come true. No one in his right mind want to play Ben twice. I fear for Craig's sanity, but I think it is too late.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
IIRC, I played Ben at Blackpool, England. He was attending his first tourney, and our game came down to the very end (I won't say "down to the wire"). Ben won because I didn't know that I'd killed his armor leader. Had I known that I only needed one more VP to win, I wouldn't have taken such risks on the last turn.

I may have this Ben confused with another...

But then, I've lost close games to lots of "new" players. :shy:

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That sleaze sounds like Ben...
It's not at all clear to me that this is sleaze. You record the placement of the armor leader in secret. I'm not sure that you are required to reveal that he's dead until the end of the game.

It clearly hindered my ability to plan for the end game, but I don't think I could honestly call it sleaze. I also don't think I've ever seen any other game where the knowledge that an armor leader had died may have changed the result. (out of hundreds of games.)

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You're just being nice Sam. I know its in your nature, but stiop it. This is Ben Jones you're talking about. Repeat after me:

'That no good car stealin', granny muggin', dockyard raidin' robbin' scouse git sleazed me out of a win.'

Sorry Craig. I've come over all Boris Johnson.

Last edited:

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
You're just being nice Sam. I know its in your nature, but stiop it. This is Ben Jones you're talking about. Repeat after me:

'That no good car stealin', granny muggin', dockyard raidin' robbin' scouse git sleazed me out of a win.'

Sorry Craig. I've come over all Boris Johnson.

you sound like a chelsea supporter...

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
you sound like a chelsea supporter...

As you know I'm as interested in soccer about as much as using the IIFT - which is not at all. So you missed with your counter jibe by the width of an idiom.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
BTW Craig, I don't know how much of the gear you have but there's a very impressive set of official ASL stuff going for two hundred quid on ebay. See the "Eaby Sanity" thread.

DaveStory

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And I thought only the British guys on Monty Python were funny. :clown:

Must be a side effect of too much tea and crumpets.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Must be a side effect of too much tea and crumpets.
One positive result of this trash-talking thread (ain't it grand?) is that I looked up what a damn crumpet was in Wikipedia....

Another discussion that warrants positive rep for all involved....

Last edited: