ASLOK 2023 update.

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bret has posted on the ASLOK site the new information concerning this years event.
We have a new hotel, the Bertram County Club and Convention Center. If you check their site, you will see that this new venue is a really big upgrade from our past locations. Bret has reserved an excellent venue the tournament.
The new venue is on the eastern side of Cleveland and is pretty much a straight shot down I480 from the airport and when coming west. Bret has told me that there is an airport shuttle, (the cost of which I am not certain), however, anyone flying in to Cleveland Hopkins is welcome to contact me if it will facilitate their transportation to hotel concerns. I want this new location to be as pleasurable an experience as possible for our out of town attendees and I don't want travel to be a distraction.
Regardless of the slight increased distance, the picnic will still be held as usual on the first Sunday for any interested in attending.
I look forward to seeing you all this October. Until then, roll low.
Dave

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I agree with Dave. Big improvement. Looks like some decent places to eat as well.
I have been through Aurora quite a few times though not recently. It's a nice little town, semi upscale for this region. Definitely 180° out from some previous locations. Brookpark generated some great memories and stories but today's SOs may not approve of the available nightlife.

As Ray said ASLOk is heading in the general direction of where it began in Austintown. Trust me while both towns names may start with Au only one is golden. The other not so much. Fond memories of Austintown too though,🥰

Outstanding job as always Bret and Wild Bill. You guys are the best!!!

Good luck to all who attend and thanks to everyone who has ever attended The Advanced Squad Leader Oktoberfest. You all made it what it has become, a fantastic place and time to lose yourself in ASL.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just got my time off from work request approved for ASLOK 2023! Woo-hoo! NEVER too early to start planning! As is always the case with me, tons of playtesting to get through. MMP Three Bridges--Pont Grande, Arnhem and Pegasus Bridge project with Mike Faulkner; Mannerheim Cross from BFP; Aprilia '44 and the revised jungle boards/scenario pack for LFT. I will be there Saturday, September 30 to help kick off the Big Game Hunter tourney. I have created a new thread on this as well. I know I can count on Mike Faulkner and perhaps Michael Rodgers for the Bridges project but could use help enlisting playtesters for the latter two projects noted above. I know it is three months away but always good to start planning. I hope to see you all there at the new venue!

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thought it was 4 Bridges and would include Primosole Bridge. Did something change since last ASLOK?

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thought it was 4 Bridges and would include Primosole Bridge. Did something change since last ASLOK?
Great question--Mike Faulkner what is the answer? I am all for primosle being added to the playtest because I have yet to play one scenario from that release.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep--FOUR Bridges! Whoot whoot! I never played any Primosole Bridge stuff. Now I will!

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I finally got close enough to caught up on ASLOK Pre-Regs that I posted an update to the website. We have 48 thru 8/13 which is 17 ahead of where we were last year at that time. Last year we only had 61 thru August and with the 5 I haven't gotten too yet, we're already at 53 which at least bodes relatively well for attendance at least relative to the last couple years.

Do remember at the new hotel that the Room Block closes on 9/1 so please make sure to get those reservations in soon if you think you may be coming. After that date I will try to get your reservation transferred into the room block, but I cannot guarantee it.

Remember you can pre-reg at http://www.aslok.org/prereg.html - there was a bug on the PayPal button to order regular T's which was causing a page reload on some (most?) browsers which I think I finally fixed recently. If you observed issues and avoided registering for that reason, it should be solved.

The current pre-reg list (thru 8/13) is available here: http://www.aslok.org/downloads/ASLOK_XXXVII_PreRegs.pdf

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The new hotel is The BERTRAM INN & Convention Center, 600 North Aurora Rd., AURORA, OHIO 44202-7107 [330-995-0200] Location

The biggest change is the hotel is on the southeast side in more an outer ring suburb than where we have been recently near the airport which is southwest of the city. The hotel does have an airport shuttle but it runs $75 one way and needs to be booked a week out so they can arrange a driver. They can fit up to 12 passengers though so if arriving with others, using the airport shuttle becomes fairly cost effective. Uber/Lyft will run in the $50-$60 range at most times as well. If looking to ride share back to the airport, you may want to plan ahead and reserve something in advance. And of course the hotel shuttle can be reserved back as well but the same week in advance notice is needed. And as noted in the first message Dave Ginnard has generously offered to aid folks when he can.

The hotel does have a restaurant which should be available most of the day and a 2nd fine dining place with more limited hours but we will lose access to the easy walk to Subway/the Mexican place. There are a bunch of other fast food and other restaurants a short drive away though. Within approximately a 5 minute drive are: Chipotle, Bob Evans, Buffalo Wild Wings, Starbucks, Japanese Hibachi, McDonald's, Jersey Mike's, Wendy's, Chinese take out (Hakka Wok), a deli, Mexican, Dunkin and some other options. Lots of proximity, although a car or access to a car will likely be an advantage.

Within that same 5 minutes are a Target, Wal Mart, Michael's, Home Depot along with a few groceries as well. There's also a decent outlet mall within 2.5 miles of the hotel.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The new hotel is The BERTRAM INN & Convention Center, 600 North Aurora Rd., AURORA, OHIO 44202-7107 [330-995-0200] Location

The biggest change is the hotel is on the southeast side in more an outer ring suburb than where we have been recently near the airport which is southwest of the city. The hotel does have an airport shuttle but it runs $75 one way and needs to be booked a week out so they can arrange a driver. They can fit up to 12 passengers though so if arriving with others, using the airport shuttle becomes fairly cost effective. Uber/Lyft will run in the $50-$60 range at most times as well. If looking to ride share back to the airport, you may want to plan ahead and reserve something in advance. And of course the hotel shuttle can be reserved back as well but the same week in advance notice is needed. And as noted in the first message Dave Ginnard has generously offered to aid folks when he can.

The hotel does have a restaurant which should be available most of the day and a 2nd fine dining place with more limited hours but we will lose access to the easy walk to Subway/the Mexican place. There are a bunch of other fast food and other restaurants a short drive away though. Within approximately a 5 minute drive are: Chipotle, Bob Evans, Buffalo Wild Wings, Starbucks, Japanese Hibachi, McDonald's, Jersey Mike's, Wendy's, Chinese take out (Hakka Wok), a deli, Mexican, Dunkin and some other options. Lots of proximity, although a car or access to a car will likely be an advantage.

Within that same 5 minutes are a Target, Wal Mart, Michael's, Home Depot along with a few groceries as well. There's also a decent outlet mall within 2.5 miles of the hotel.
You, Wild Bill and Dave are such assets to the ASL community! Makes me proud to be from Northeast Ohio. 🤗

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The picnic will be held as scheduled on the first Sunday of ASLOK. Start time will be 3PM with food serving by 4PM until we run out. Pete Mudge, Tommy Cvetinovich, Jim Serafin, and a few others staying at the house that weekend will be there probably all day, so anyone wanting to come hang early are welcome. I can possibly offer some rides from the airport to the Bertram on Friday nite, Saturday, and Monday. After that, I will be at the Bertram full time. Anyone needing a lift can reach me by email or phone. You can get that from Bret or by sending me a message through gamesquad. If you are arriving on Sunday, we can probably get you to the picnic as it is only a few minutes away, and then you could hook up a ride to the Bertram from someone at the picnic.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
The picnic will be held as scheduled on the first Sunday of ASLOK. Start time will be 3PM with food serving by 4PM until we run out. Pete Mudge, Tommy Cvetinovich, Jim Serafin, and a few others staying at the house that weekend will be there probably all day, so anyone wanting to come hang early are welcome. I can possibly offer some rides from the airport to the Bertram on Friday nite, Saturday, and Monday. After that, I will be at the Bertram full time. Anyone needing a lift can reach me by email or phone. You can get that from Bret or by sending me a message through gamesquad. If you are arriving on Sunday, we can probably get you to the picnic as it is only a few minutes away, and then you could hook up a ride to the Bertram from someone at the picnic.
You're a good man, Dave! Are you sure you don't work for Uber?

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will be at Hopkins airport around 2-2:30PM on Saturday, September 30th to pick up John Garlic. Anyone coming into Hopkins around that time is welcome to share the ride. I won't get back until about 4:30-5PM so if you are coming in around that time, let me know.

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will arrive there during the afternoon of October 1.
Mike, what time? Sunday is the picnic which is only a few minutes from Hopkins. There will be many rides back to the hotel from the picnic from those attending and I am sure you could hook up with one of them.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I will be at Hopkins airport around 2-2:30PM on Saturday, September 30th to pick up John Garlic. Anyone coming into Hopkins around that time is welcome to share the ride. I won't get back until about 4:30-5PM so if you are coming in around that time, let me know.
You're a good man Dave!