Twilight Of The Reich And WO #15 Are Up For Pre-Order

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Didn't MMP state outright that these would be released at WO? So...am I correct in assuming that, even with a preorder number assigned, they will be printed and shipped regardless of whether it reaches the preorder number?
I think that's a pretty safe assumption.

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Didn't MMP state outright that these would be released at WO? So...am I correct in assuming that, even with a preorder number assigned, they will be printed and shipped regardless of whether it reaches the preorder number?
If I recall correctly, the reason stated for putting this on the website with a P# was to make it possible to ship to non-attendees of WO in the same package.

FrankH.

Reaction score
I think that is true. Just that it is encouraging to see how many orders are being placed, even as it will not matter for the printing and shipping.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Whether it is published or soon to be published, it is still a preorder. MMP is allowing us to preorder the products to be released at WO. I would much rather order it now than have to wait until it would be put up on the website after WO.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Maybe this is a stupid question, but: if those who are attending WO want to buy these products, do they need to be pre-ordered ahead of time? Or can they be purchased on-the-spot? Asking for a friend…🥸

TheMoonraker

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Simon
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Jeepers. Looking way, way ahead (since I'm only now working my way through the Starter Kits) I saw this pop up for pre-order in the UK with Second Chance Games. Then I saw the price which even with the pre-order reduction is still just a penny short of £140. In dollars at current conversion rates that's $178, compared to the $123 price tag for our US resident friends. Wow. Are games produced in the EU and UK similarly expensive for US buyers?

Pretty soon it'll be worth flying to the US just to pick up a suitcase full of ASL products. Actually, that's not a bad idea... :unsure:

TheMoonraker

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Simon
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It is the shipping and the customs charges which increase the price of American games in the UK.
Yes, I understand the economics behind the pricing and IMO gaming is still great value when compared to say, the cost per hour of entertainment of something like a theatre, concert or football match ticket. It's just the psychological hit my brain takes when I register the difference in the US price that gets me.

waltu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
... the price which even with the pre-order reduction is still just a penny short of £140. In dollars at current conversion rates that's $178, compared to the $123 price tag for our US resident friends. Wow. Are games produced in the EU and UK similarly expensive for US buyers?
Products from LFT are available in the US for what seem to be reasonable prices. For example, on LFT's website, "The Green Hell of Inor" goes for 110 euro (converts to 121 USD), and is available from Ritter Krieg's site (ships from North Carolina) for 130 USD. Fight for Seoul is available on LFT for 110 euro, available from Ritter Krieg for 135 USD.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yes, I understand the economics behind the pricing and IMO gaming is still great value when compared to say, the cost per hour of entertainment of something like a theatre, concert or football match ticket. It's just the psychological hit my brain takes when I register the difference in the US price that gets me.
The thing to do is to order it SO quickly that your brain dun register!

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Jeepers. Looking way, way ahead (since I'm only now working my way through the Starter Kits) I saw this pop up for pre-order in the UK with Second Chance Games. Then I saw the price which even with the pre-order reduction is still just a penny short of £140. In dollars at current conversion rates that's $178, compared to the $123 price tag for our US resident friends. Wow. Are games produced in the EU and UK similarly expensive for US buyers?

Pretty soon it'll be worth flying to the US just to pick up a suitcase full of ASL products. Actually, that's not a bad idea... :unsure:
Yes. They are expensive. First, we have to pay the premium for conversion to Pounds. Then we have to pay crazy shipping costs just like you do. We do generally avoid VAT which can help us keep the cost down some. So a Raaco Handybox with 4 trays (Assorter 55) is £59.81 (https://www.tradesystems.co.uk/product/136242-raaco-handybox-complete-with-4-assorter-55-service-cases-4xpsc/). You can search the site yourself, but the inserts are £.46 each (https://www.tradesystems.co.uk/page/12/?s=Raaco&post_type=product). You need 64 (£29.44). All in cost (before VAT) is £89.25. Orders less than £100.00 pay £11.99 for shipping within the UK. That same setup in the US costs $172 (https://ritterkrieg.com/product/raaco-handybox/) without shipping. Shipping ranges from negligible (<$10) to moderately expensive (>$50) depending on class of shipping.

Domestic shipping is basically a wash. So for comparison, your cost is £89.25 ($113.57) without VAT. My cost $172.00. That's a 52% markup compared to your cost. I still think we come out ahead. -- jim

Last edited:

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
The thing to do is to order it SO quickly that your brain dun register!
...also important to not let the wife know "exactly" how much the purchases cost. Lol. I'm also into model railroading, the economics of which she understands all too well. So by comparison, ASL is a relative bargain.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
...also important to not let the wife know "exactly" how much the purchases cost. Lol. I'm also into model railroading, the economics of which she understands all too well. So by comparison, ASL is a relative bargain.
If you could post some pics of your layout on the Shanghaid thread I would really be interested in seeing them. Thanks!

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well since TotR has railroad overlays, you could 'hide' it's cost in the model railroad budget.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Until she comes home with one of those $45 Starbucks cups...

(fortunately, mine has more sense than I do in these regards)

Our mantra for 2024 is 'Don't Buy That!"