MMP's Obligations

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>While other players might have been talking, it's naive to think that Hasbro was listening to anyone except Curt. There was no auction of ASL where it was put up to the highest bidder. At the time Hasbro wasn't looking to "sell" ASL at all, but a celebrity that they could use to cross-promote other things, and their executives thought it would be cool to meet, made them an offer that they accepted.

Correct Bret. Just the typical HWSNBN#2 tactic of spreading more lies and misinformation. He must be learning from the Japanese with his attempts (failed) to rewrite history as he has no clue what actually happened. And he proves it time and time again. Where does he come up with this stuff?

Two questions for HWSNBN#2:

1) Who were the 'other players' talking with Hasbro?

2) Where did you come up with this 'auction' and please show ANY reference to MMP getting the license thru an auction?

Here's your opportunity to prove that you aren't lying and spreading false information (again).

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks

Kevin,

The only people who "get the message" are CSW insiders and those who are lucky enough to read a cross-post somewhere. Not professional.

Bill,

Bang dead-on. Nice post. You know what? If MMP was honest enough to admit they're a garage-op and can't be much more than that, I can totally deal with all the nonsense. Except for the unprofessional unwillingness to discuss rules decision rationale. :)

Darrell,

With regards to the Mila 18 crap,

It sure ain't, dude. Different post, same garbage. :)

Tony,

This is an old issue discussed on many occasion with not everyone in agreement that "Curt and MMP are our saviours". There were other players talking with Hasbro, it's just that Curt won the auction.
Marcus,

Thanks for listening.

NO ONE will give you CREDIT for that.:surprise:

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi guys,

My fault with the rhetorical "won the auction". It could have been more clear (although it was nice to see one of the usual suspects leaped to negative conclusions without politely asking for clarification first).

I fully admit there was no formal auction to that Hasbro process. My comment was a reference to MMP getting the talks to the point where it was their proposal Hasbro was listening to most closely.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>My comment was a reference to MMP getting the talks to the point where it was their proposal Hasbro was listening to most closely.

You're assumimg or spreading more false information by stating that Hasbro was listening to numerous (plural) proposals. So, I ask you again as you never answered my question.

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Jim McLeod,

Thanks for the reasonable post.

dude163,

Thanks for that useful forum rules update. It's unfortunate that it seems more and more relevant ASL issues worthy of closer discussion are being banned by the mods because particular users can't keep their lids on their heads.

All,

With interesting topics appearing more and more on the "banned" discussion list, I'm beginning to wonder what the value is of this main ASL forum other than quick, one-off "Can I get some quick info on this X?" Qs. Yakking about how Psycho hasn't left the 1980s, how Wolkey can't handle WWII historical truthfulness, or about the poo in Glennbo's toilet isn't all that exciting. :nervous:

The sub-forums are great though. :)

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only people who "get the message" are CSW insiders...
Who are they, specifically? You're aware that anyone can read posts at CSW if they just wander over there, right?

"CSW provides FREE read-access across our entire forum to all at no charge to help you learn about the incredible resource of information made available to you 24/7."

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
dude163,

Thanks for that useful forum rules update. It's unfortunate that it seems more and more relevant ASL issues worthy of closer discussion are being banned by the mods because particular users can't keep their lids on their heads.

All,

With interesting topics appearing more and more on the "banned" discussion list, I'm beginning to wonder what the value is of this main ASL forum other than quick, one-off "Can I get some quick info on this X?" Qs. Yakking about how Psycho hasn't left the 1980s, how Wolkey can't handle WWII historical truthfulness, or about the poo in Glennbo's toilet isn't all that exciting. :nervous:

The sub-forums are great though. :)
All--
the 'flame-war' topic thread is not a list of banned topics. It's a list for newbies, to see if they wish, so that when an innocent question is innocently asked and the less-than-innocent squabblers around here leap on our unsuspecting new gaming brother (or sister; we can hope, can't we?) they've been somewhat warned.

*SHEESH*

[PS, the Mila thread is wasted ban width, but some are into that. Thanks, Don, for providing it.]

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Who are they, specifically? You're aware that anyone can read posts at CSW if they just wander over there, right?

"CSW provides FREE read-access across our entire forum to all at no charge to help you learn about the incredible resource of information made available to you 24/7."
Oh MY....:surprise:

The secret of Consimworld HAS been exposed.......:p

Thanks Chas. :clown:

BTW, who's the "Hottie". She's a BIG improvement over the "skanks" PJ has been displaying lately.... Must be his old age creeping up on 'im......:surprise:

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh MY....:surprise:

The secret of Consimworld HAS been exposed.......:p

Thanks Chas. :clown:

BTW, who's the "Hottie". She's a BIG improvement over the "skanks" PJ has been displaying lately.... Must be his old age creeping up on 'im......:surprise:
Marissa Tomei. Unmarried at 42. Dating Vito the WWF wrestler.

Where the hell have you been Kenneally? Germany?

JT

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Chas,

CSW's forums (the rest of the Web site is pretty good) are a complete usability disaster. No threads, few messages displayed on a single page, defaults show the user the most old of messages, not the most recent. Ridiculous.

MMP has its own Web site. It might be a good idea for the company you represent to use it to its reasonable potential for a small company sometime. And with today's affordable Web site admin. and dev. software, you don't need a full-time Webmaster to do the basics like communicate up-to-date product news to customers.

Alan,

My boo-boo with the misinterpretation of forum discussion policy. However, when a topic appears upon the list, it does attach a negative atmosphere up-front which may discourage users to post down that route.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chas,

Alan,

My boo-boo with the misinterpretation of forum discussion policy. However, when a topic appears upon the list, it does attach a negative atmosphere up-front which may discourage users to post down that route.
I agree--it's your honest mistake about this, for example, that makes this clear; haven't looked at the first post recently, but my memory is that Robin posted something along those lines.

We want every ASLer to be able to discuss things freely. The past couple of years here have shown that any topic can get side-tracked. Any poster can contribute in a negative way. [I've regretted some of my posts, although nothing specific springs to mind ;)] And most importantly: any poster can contribute to the discussion of ASL in a positive way.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You still haven't answered my question. Since you've made statements and represented them as fact, you should back them up.

The bottom line is that you’re spreading misinformation or you’re not. That you’re clueless about what happened when MMP attained the ASL license or you’re not. Here is your opportunity to clear the air and show us that you know what happened or that you don't know squat.

So, I ask you again:

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
“As poor a year for ASL releases (thus far) it has been, it is equivilent to-or surpasses-many an "AH as official ASL" year.”

Hi!

When did AH go under? 1998 or so? So in 12 years they produced (off the top of my head, just to lazy to check Mark’s site right now) the RB, all the core modules, 9 annuals, RB, KGP, PB, all the General stuff, etc.

Still not too bad of a record……

Was there a year with no products (1994 maybe)?

Was there a year with only one release?

Thanks!

Peace

Roger

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
IMO no one else in ASL even gets that meeting w/Hasbro Execs to discuss licensing ASL, much less succesfully pulls it off.
Agreed......

though it was a pretty messed up situation.....

In the end I have always been surprised they did not take his offer (assuming the rumors were true) to buy it out right.

They would probably have made more money......

Peace

Roger

MadDog_CDN

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Other Players

You still haven't answered my question. Since you've made statements and represented them as fact, you should back them up.

The bottom line is that you’re spreading misinformation or you’re not. That you’re clueless about what happened when MMP attained the ASL license or you’re not. Here is your opportunity to clear the air and show us that you know what happened or that you don't know squat.

So, I ask you again:

Well it has been mentioned on this site, though I cannot find the post, that Critical Hit was also trying to get the license.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When did AH go under? 1998 or so? So in 12 years they produced (off the top of my head, just to lazy to check Mark’s site right now) the RB, all the core modules, 9 annuals, RB, KGP, PB, all the General stuff, etc.

Still not too bad of a record……

Was there a year with no products (1994 maybe)?

Was there a year with only one release?
The Avalon Hill sale was officially announced the day after DonCon in '98 - that'd put it in early August '98 - I'd guess the 10th. And yes, it was a Monday.
  • 1994 saw no ASL officially published, other than scenarios in the General. This led to a surge in TPP.
  • 1995 saw only the infamous '95 Annual.
  • 1996 had just 2 in the '96 Annual & the "purple" KGP II.
  • 1993 had a trio in KGP I & the 2 annuals '93a & '93b.
Under AH we had a two year period with only 1 official product, and 3 years with only 3 (two of which were flawed w/errata & color issues). AH wasn't without their publishing foibles regarding ASL...

And thanks to DesperationMorale.com where I confirmed the release dates of the modules...

Last edited:

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chas,

CSW's forums (the rest of the Web site is pretty good) are a complete usability disaster. No threads, few messages displayed on a single page, defaults show the user the most old of messages, not the most recent. Ridiculous.
In other words, there is a web site with a forum layout and interface you dislike. That makes a "CSW insider" someone who is able to tolerate and navigate it in a way which you apparently are not.

And because they have chosen to have a presence there that naturally gives you yet another reason to make MMP a target. And if only MMP saw it your way they would leave that nasty old place and frequent a web site more agreeable to you. But they won't. They continue to use their company forum at CSW as a means of communication with their customers. God knows why.

So it's yet another reason why MMP is a bad company and should be slammed at every opportunity.

See? A to B to C. Thanks for filling me in. :spam:

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>Well it has been mentioned on this site, though I cannot find the post, that Critical Hit was also trying to get the license.

Imagine that. Portal has backed himself into a corner and one of his Canadian buddies is trying to bail him out. Where have I seen this before?

'Trying' to get the license is not 'talking' with Hasbro as he has claimed or shall we say misinformed two different times on this very topic.

I will ask him again:

He is strangley silent, which is so unlike him.