Is this forum dead?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
well, from my vantage point, I see very few new postings here, very rare to see new subjects talked about so with that said, is this forum dead in the water? What can be done to try and improve this forum for better participation?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
It remains the most active forum dedicated to ASL.
Not as active as some years ago.
Some people went away because moderation rules are more strict.
But rules questions are adressed and answered by Klas and other good rules gurus.

Last edited:

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Over seventeen new posts since midnight until this post. That is a pulse, so not dead.

Would you like to write a game blog here? That would be a new source of subjects and increase participation.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I think that forums in general are not as frequented any more as they used to be 10 years ago. It is a slow, ongoing process. And it is a pity IMHO.

This seems to be the case for GS in the same way as for another forum, for which I am moderating a sub-branch along with some I have now and then visited.

People shift to more fleeting media such as FaceBook, Discord, etc. In some ways, these seem to be more accessible, but IMHO they cannot match a forum as a resource. Another serious drawback is that FB, Discord and the whole damn zoo of them are extremely shitty about maintaining the privacy of their users. In fact, they take all possible measures to destroy privacy and to monetize their users' data. Reason enough for me to avoid them like the plague.

Moderation - or non-moderation - may also be a factor. If the correct balance is found for moderation, I find it beneficial. Many social media are hardly moderated at all, so that all sorts of lies, hate, and bull***t can be vented there in a misunderstood or outright abused understanding of "freedom of speech". Outrage does keep people longer on these media, so more money is generated from commercials, which is the business model. An amoral and harmful business model for society IMHO and another reason for me not to utilize such social media.

Is the forum dead? I do not think so.
Could it see more activity? I would welcome it.
Over the past years, GS has lost some of its more prolific contributors, some of whom went in anger.
This is regrettable.

In any case, this forum is as lively as YOU (i.e. anyone of us) make it.

von Marwitz

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi Scott

I have been in this GS caper for a long time but I have to be a rare individual as I never have joined any social media so please at 55YO I must be only one vote
Every morning I check it for news and view points - it literally starts my DAY!
I do love the AAR's - I try and write when on holidays and I just finish a game
I really really benefit from the rules interactions
Its a great place for my information source - I hardly miss a product by being on hear
As an example I hate watching the news as they turn tragedy into entertainment! and push poor agendas of the society - this place is the opposite
I even really like your opinion Scott when you pass it!
I have not noticed the people who left - the did not leave very deep footprints in the sand
I have missed those who died - Paul W is possibly my greatest example - he left us too early

This is a great place - a rare place and If anyone from here visits Melbourne I would welcome them and treat them like a great friend!!

My Thoughts

Rob :)

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I chose my codename for this forum for a good reason. I do not have either money, patience, intelligence for all the various social media
platforms that are out in the internet. I started with GS because it simply is the best platform for discussions, humor, news and various
aspects for the Advanced Squad Leader hobby. I will stay with GS.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
I don't think it's dead - it's still no. 1 place to look out for information and discussion, honestly.

I'm at Fb page and while I think many people transferred from GS to ASL group(s) (many of them being here and there, like me), Facebook is very lousy at keeping the content clear and well-organized. Navigating through it is mostly like some kind of stream of consciousness. Its' main feature is that it's easier to access (Fb being the platform that combines all of your interests together at your wall).

This and very sad thing of lots of great contributors passing away may look like GS is less active.

I think that maybe few people left off because of the new moderation rules, but frankly I do not see them (that is, the rules) as harsh or something, I guess that maybe one or two people left GS because they've valued the unlimited free speech (i.e. without any ethical boundaries) above everything else. But frankly I don't even recall threads like that, and aggressive posts happen everywhere on the Internet. It's just human factor.

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
I think it's just part of the game, if you will. Over 35 years and many, many articles on tactics and game play--that lessons the need for such discussion here (unless someone has a new thought/advice). There are lots of YouTube videos to learn and answer questions--that lessons some needed discussion also.

I don't do social meeda--OK, however, you spell it--but GS ASL seems to have all the discussion and answers. 17 new posts (noted above). I think that's quite "alive and active".

I appreciate the in-depth rules discussions about one-off items like moving units on Tuesday at 3:04pm with a full moon and solar eclipse. Are night rules in effect for one turn? Maybe ASLRBv3 will have that Chapter E addition. Speaking of which...LOL!

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it’s the best place to find information. I do miss some of the flame wars for their sheer entertainment. Overall, It’s still the premiere way to access the community. 🔥 Let’s go bring the wars

Last edited:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
how would you like it if Hitler killed Gamesquad? :eek::oops:😠🤪

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Scott to paraphrase Zappa: the forum is not dead. It just smells funny.

It's my refugium. Well that, Captain Bacchus and the gang, and Civilization.

I only watch one hour of tv a week now and even that is a chore.

And Actiondebbie' cooking too.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some people went away because moderation rules are more strict.
Although the flame wars and meltdowns were rather entertaining, on the whole I welcome the new level of moderation and civility as of a few years ago.

Here is an example of poor moderation and chronic digital thread derailment. I frequently log in to and follow a certain well known international scale modeling forum. For years I have appreciated the friendly advice and sharing of knowledge regarding the research of vehicle markings and variants etc., from the members, and for the most part, I still regard that forum to be a useful resource.
And then Russia invaded Ukraine...
As to be expected, a thread emerged regarding modeling the vehicles and weapons being used in this conflict. Initially the thread was informative with a plethora of contemporary photos and video clips which would be very useful to modelers interested in recreating the vehicles involved. Within a matter of days however, this 'scale modeling' thread rapidly devolved in to a cesspool of memes, irrelevant war stories/braggadocio, photoshopped images, tasteless (crispy critter) 'humor' and general misinformation. To this day, when a modeler asks a relevant question in that particular thread seeking information prior to building a model, the query is often left unanswered. Worst of all, one of the most frequent contributors to the chaos in the Ukraine war modeling thread is actually one of the site's moderators.

Regarding Scott's original question, I too have noticed that the GS forums seem to be noticeably less lively and thought provoking during the past few months. I'm not much of a philosopher, so I can't really explain the reason for this, although I certainly wouldn't describe our gaming forum as being 'dead'. Perhaps some folks will blame the recent changes in moderation and the banishment of political content from GS as having caused certain people to leave this forum in protest. Personally, I regard the self imposed banishment of a handful of disgruntled individuals to be a small price to pay to maintain a level of decent civility and decorum amongst those who remain and the newer members who are interested in enjoying our hobby.

BTW... I still miss you, Paul Weir.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ya the flame wars were fun, but still I find some here post but do not play the game which can be annoying. any way I do agree we do need more more content and less jibber jabber. So lets go with some great ASL stuff guys.
I think it’s the best place to find information. I do miss some of the flame wars for their sheer entertainment. Overall, It’s still the premiere way to access the community. 🔥 Let’s go bring the wars