Why no glider tanks in Russian OB?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've always been a bit dissappointed that glider delivered tanks have never featured in a scenario despite the fact they were used. Not these ones of course.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I can crash land my tank onto something and destroy it with fire but still drive away I’m all in.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
I've always been a bit dissappointed that glider delivered tanks have never featured in a scenario despite the fact they were used. Not these ones of course.
Dezign Pak 7: ESG82 Last of it’s Kind,
Locust(a) landing in Hamilcar's.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
where was it said they were used, the first trials were not a success and when tried with crews they washed the remains out. Never heard that they were actually used???
They also tried dropping amphibious ones into the water with similar results . The land ones at first were pulled along on the tracks but could not cope with the speed , future trials used a trolley like the Me163 to get airborn

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Yes. Firing as they glided down at the thinner upper armor. The para dropped mine dogs are specially trained. Some to drop into the open hatch while others poo poo on the vision slits.🤔

Sorry Rick. It was an informative thread till I got involved.🙄
You were ahead of your time with this, after watching the Ukrainian Drones drop their "poo-poo" mines and grenades down the hatches of the Soviet Tanks.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Never saw the movie, prefer the series ("I love it when a plan comes together!").
I like George Peppard & Dirk Benedict from other things of course but in the series they never hit anything for a crack unit of commandos. The movie however has Liam Neeson who everybody loves! Dude! Qui-Gon, Ra's al Ghul, Bryan Mills, Zeus, Sir Gawain, Michael Collins, Oskar Schindler, Delta Force Commando (uncredited obviously upstaged by Chuck Norris) & many others!

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
where was it said they were used, the first trials were not a success and when tried with crews they washed the remains out. Never heard that they were actually used???
They also tried dropping amphibious ones into the water with similar results . The land ones at first were pulled along on the tracks but could not cope with the speed , future trials used a trolley like the Me163 to get airborn
As Hutch said, the allies used them during Operation Tonga.
Of course, most of the scenarios which could feature them would occur after the landing

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
As Hutch said, the allies used them during Operation Tonga.
Of course, most of the scenarios which could feature them would occur after the landing
I got it wrong I thought he was meaning Russian ops 😱yes the allies used hamilcars to deliver tetrachs and locusts

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Landing tanks in gliders is quite different from the Russian tank to which wings were attached.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
  1. Plane crashes on takeoff.
  2. Tank released too early.
  3. Tank released too late.
  4. Enemy fighter shoots down plane.
  5. AA shoots down plane.
  6. Plane experiences mechanical malfunction in mid-flight.
And that's just the basic what-could-go-wrongs!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
  1. Plane crashes on takeoff.
  2. Tank released too early.
  3. Tank released too late.
  4. Enemy fighter shoots down plane.
  5. AA shoots down plane.
  6. Plane experiences mechanical malfunction in mid-flight.
And that's just the basic what-could-go-wrongs!
As you number your list of points, you see the commissar across the room insert one, two, three, four, five, six bullets into the drum of his revolver: "Hear, hear comrade Noobovitch. Me thinks this is quite a number of counter-revolutionary notions. Why don't you come over yonder to play a round of Russian Roulette with me?"

von Marwitz

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Perhaps comrade Commissar, I was too hasty. If permitted, I would ride in the tank and see it delivered to the fascists
in order to give a proper communist reply to their actions."