Which board.......

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Most if not all SK boards...too much shoot through...in many cases no hedges / walls to block fire...

Also any board with a building which allows shoot throughs b/c the center dot has buildings on either side but not on itself...EX 47. L3 to H5....the rage....

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I look at board 39, I am instantly reminded of Kokoda Trail type engagements.
Right, but the board doesn't have that ridgeline trail. Shrug.

Not to say there's no place for an unabashed Wooded Hill board. But I see more tactically interesting things if the board breaks it up with realistic hill spurs, hillside gullies, and the occasional Path. There's something very right about when board 36 goes to PTO and those Roads become Paths over and through those Hills.

While the boards in the upcoming Korea module don't have much Woods, IMO they do a better job of depicting realistic hill spurs and hillside gullies. I drove through Colorado a lot in those days and I had a lot of time to look at the terrain.

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For those whose memory could use some thumbnail assistance: Thumbnails of Boards

Hate: Board 25. It confuses the hell out of me....
+1, or is it +2? Either way I steer clear of that board, the gullies on that board drive me batty. "Let's see I went one level up, but I'm in the gully one level down so did I incur the movement costs to go up an elevation or not?" etc.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Most if not all SK boards...too much shoot through...in many cases no hedges / walls to block fire...

Also any board with a building which allows shoot throughs b/c the center dot has buildings on either side but not on itself...EX 47. L3 to H5....the rage....
There are no walls or hedges in SK rules.
Those and upper levels are the biggest difference in terrain, though upper levels don't add that much complexity, and I think should have been added in either SK 2 or 3.

The ASL kit that I bought second hand had the blind spot formula written on the QRDCs, though I never found it to be complex or hard to remember.
It's a question of 5 hex blocks, FRU. Pretty simple when you think of it that way.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
There are no walls or hedges in SK rules.
Except for the ASLSKBP 1 with board "p", which I thought was a very, very nice board. I can understand no walls as how do you practically deal with WA in SK other than ignoring it.

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

Not so much dislike for a board as just being tired of a board. Two come to mind, board 49
which is nice board, but I seem to have played more scenarios using this board! Board 62 which again is a nice board,
but has been used allot in scenarios. I am guilty of this, although it was a design when the board first came out :)

Thanks
Joe

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are no walls or hedges in SK rules....
Yes, I understand no walls/hedges...but I dislike* the import of such boards into ASL; this was my point (which maybe I failed to make clear enough. My bad.). From the grunt's point of view...there are many many objects, trash cans, kiosks, piles of brush, gentle-folds in the earth, the abandoned cars, the wood pile, etc., (all of which can be lumped into a wall/ hedge type effect in that* area of 40 meters of a hex) that I dislike the billiard table shooting gallery effect.

Last edited:

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Except for the ASLSKBP 1 with board "p", which I thought was a very, very nice board. I can understand no walls as how do you practically deal with WA in SK other than ignoring it.
I had to do a bit of a search for this one.
I own it but haven't opened it yet!
Tom and I are almost done the expansion pack scenarios, and will run through these next.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

Not so much dislike for a board as just being tired of a board. Two come to mind, board 49
which is nice board, but I seem to have played more scenarios using this board! Board 62 which again is a nice board,
but has been used allot in scenarios. I am guilty of this, although it was a design when the board first came out :)

Thanks
Joe
Fair enough. Which then your post indicates they/we need variants of... Designs indicate these have utility but need a fresh take on.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Yes, I understand no walls/hedges...but I dislike* the import of such boards into ASL; this was my point (which maybe I failed to make clear enough. My bad.). From the grunt's point of view...there are many many objects, trash cans, kiosks, piles of brush, gentle-folds in the earth, the banned cars, the wood pile, etc., (all of which can be lumped into a wall/ hedge type effect in that* area of 40 meters of a hex) that I dislike the billiard table shooting gallery effect.
You are correct, there are a lot of LOS compared to regular boards, you just can't move through these areas (no bypass), which in itself is an anomaly when you think about it.
It will be interesting to see what SK PTO introduces.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't do SK..it is a different game completely... So "interest" for me is different than for others.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
The boards are definitely more bland by comparison, but the scenarios are all pretty good.
Also it's a very relaxed type of game, you're teaching the basics of the rules, so there's a lot of take backs and 'should have dones'.
It's OK as long as it doesn't become a habit, but I'm not the stickler type anyway.
You can't very well be a rules lawyer when you want the beginner to have fun and keep his interest up.
I still can't wait to lure Tom into playing Red October when I get it! :hellyes::study:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

Thanks
Joe
Agreed on 49. It seemed like it was used in a ton of designs when it came out, adding to the burn out.

A needed concept, for sure.

I play on it now, but I was sick of it for a while.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I don't do SK..it is a different game completely... So "interest" for me is different than for others.
The problem is with full ASL scenarios using those boards.
Not in each occasion, of course, but I would believe that some designers will eagerly pounce on any new board and try to integrate it in one of their designs.
Many full ASL boards could see more use, before the SK ones are exploited.