Which board.......

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
..... do you

Hate with unbridled passion?

Hate more than the brat next door who plays the drums in his garage affer 8pm?

Hate so much you would think about passing on the best scenario ever created because it would make you play on it?

For me, it's board 23.
From the early days of my ASL experience, board 23 has been my nemesis, I can honestly say I have never won a game using board 23. Kurhaus Clash introduced me to board 23 in the harshest of fashions when Don Holland rolled my GI's easily. It all started there. Hell, in that one I didn't even have to cross one of the bridges and I couldn't make it work.
Speaking of bridges...... screw them! My ASL bridge phobia all got it's start from board 23....

Excuse me for a minute, i'm so worked up I'm going to go set my board 23 on fire......

Let it all out, find your therapy here...........

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1. Weird and implausible buildings and layout and utterly played out. Loathe it.
'Loathe'. Great word. I haven't Loathed anything in a while..... I think I loathe board 23.

I actually expect to see a lot of board 3's with board 10 as a distant second.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I replaced all 2000 ceiling tiles at my job 15 years ago. I hate ceiling tiles almost as much as board 23
Perhaps you can hate all ceiling tiles or all boards (you do vasl exclusively), but hating one out of the bunch, that's not possible.

JR

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Perhaps you can hate all ceiling tiles or all boards (you do vasl exclusively), but hating one out of the bunch, that's not possible.

JR
Well, I don't exclusively play VASL. My regular opponent and I are seeing other games right now.
And yes, I can hate a specific board. I hate board 3. Spencer loathes board 1, and I know without a doubt my regular opponent hates board 3.
I know you are almost always right, but in this case you are wrong. Bummer

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1. Weird and implausible buildings and layout and utterly played out. Loathe it.
Absolutely!
That and the village on board 3 for the same reason. I will not play any scenario with these boards. Nowadays ASL offers too many choices for me to spend any more time on that time worn terrain.

The original version of board 4 was rather hideous as well with its blue grass and bold 'Squad Leader' type on the bottom.

Reactions: Roy

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
+1
Totally out of scale.
And the original 20-23 boards, because of their LSD style oversaturated colours.
But I play on older boards out of nostalgia.
And so many players' favorite scenarios actually use those boards.

The rythm of publication of new boards allows less like/dislike impressions to develop.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don’t hate any of them. But I can get very burned out on a board.

Last year it was 44. Too many scenarios on its openness. I was sick of 44. Now its 40. I’ve played a bunch of river/ bridge crossing scenarios this year....

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For those whose memory could use some thumbnail assistance: Thumbnails of Boards

Hate: Board 25. It confuses the hell out of me.

Board 35 gets an Honorable Mention as Just Plain Boring. Every non-road hex on one side is Kunai, and Orchard on the other side.

Board 38 with the dirt airfield gets the prize for Underachievement. How many scenarios actually use it as an airfield? Honorable Mention in this category to Board 39, which wants to be offer something for the Wooded Ridge category but just slathers it on too thick. Throw in some better Paths up or across the hill, perhaps with a Gully to offer an interesting alternative access route, and it would have been a home run. As it is, boring. Board 52 also slathers it on pretty thick with the Woods theme. Just a little less (a la board 42) would have made this more interesting.

Board 44 is pretty darn overlookable. It fills a niche as an Alternative To Board 4, but it's pretty obvious about it.

Right around board 54 and up, I start losing track. Haven't played on them enough, but I do like the variety. I might question board 73 as being so orchard-heavy that it starts to become tactically boring, but hey.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
If I had to pick one, it would be 13.
Those elevated roads are a bugger!

My group got real tired of the first 5 boards, 'cause before Crescendo of Doom came out that's all you had.

A favorite would have to be board 4.
The first time I was exposed to the game was a grab bag sort of affair just to get familiar with the game and it's pieces, not even a scenario of any kind, DiY or otherwise, but it was on board 4 and that sparked my imagination right away.
I'll never hate board 4.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Honorable Mention in this category to Board 39, which wants to be offer something for the Wooded Ridge category but just slathers it on too thick. Throw in some better Paths up or across the hill, perhaps with a Gully to offer an interesting alternative access route, and it would have been a home run. As it is, boring.
I disagree. It is just some bad-ass terrain. I remember playing CH97 Final Crisis on Blackpool on it. One, if not the one scenario for me that perfectly captured the atmosphere of adverse terrain and weather conditions often found in PTO and which also used board 38 as an airfield btw.

If I look at board 39, I am instantly reminded of Kokoda Trail type engagements.

von Marwitz