VASL-6.5.0 is released

gamesmeister

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I was on Catalina 10.15.3, have just installed 10.15.4 onto my laptop (MacBook Pro), still have the same issue. I click on an overlay, I get the black outline flicker for a second and then it vanishes, and I can't drag the overlay onto the board.

jwoodall04

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My regular playing partner and I are both experiencing random crashes with VASL 6.5, often when checking LOS. And it seems to 'hitch' occasionally as we check, even if not crashing. Not exactly sure why, but we've never had it crash before this version and now fairly common. Maybe once every other session (2-3 hours).

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
Just to add another data point, I always used to just press F10[*] to remove the counters so I can look at the map when counter density is high, then click somewhere to bring the counters back, but since using VASL 6.5.0, it can take many 10's of clicks to bring the counters back. I sometimes see red lines flash on-screen (presumably a LOS check), and (I think) my opponent gets console messages saying that I've checked LOS.

We've also had one hang, I think because we both checked LOS at the same time, although IIRC, older versions of VASL did this as well.

[*] I know about Ctrl-F10, but I'm a keyboard user and this is an awkward two-key chord, and it's not doing my RSI any good :-/

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
My regular playing partner and I are both experiencing random crashes with VASL 6.5, often when checking LOS. And it seems to 'hitch' occasionally as we check, even if not crashing. Not exactly sure why, but we've never had it crash before this version and now fairly common. Maybe once every other session (2-3 hours).

My friend and I have been getting issues with the LOS even before 6.5. It seems to happen when one person is checking the LOS and the other is either checking the LOS or moving/checking units or doing whatever on the map. So we've made a rule, only one person checks the LOS and warns the other that he is doing so, and the other person stops doing whatever it is he is doing. We rarely have an issue now. Doesn't solve the issue but it's a work around.

aneil1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Have told others to/done only one LOS for as long as I can remember
If two people try and do stuff while a LOS check is happening \
many different and annoying things happen. Usually you get locked in LoS mode and cant get out

My friend and I have been getting issues with the LOS even before 6.5. It seems to happen when one person is checking the LOS and the other is either checking the LOS or moving/checking units or doing whatever on the map. So we've made a rule, only one person checks the LOS and warns the other that he is doing so, and the other person stops doing whatever it is he is doing. We rarely have an issue now. Doesn't solve the issue but it's a work around.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

One should avoid two people checking LOS at the same time - this is known. But I think that with v6.5 some 'new' LOS issue has emerged that has (likely) nothing to do with this 'old' problem. It might have something to do if Terrain SSR have been implemented (changing hedges etc.) I seem to recall that the issue could be recreated to explain some situations but not all.

von Marwitz

Stadl0r

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Fixed it, I reinstalled Java and that resolved the issue, thanks.
Wondering what version did you install? I am having a same issue on catalina where I can't move any pieces in VASL, however all other VASSAL games work fine.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Wondering what version did you install? I am having a same issue on catalina where I can't move any pieces in VASL, however all other VASSAL games work fine.
The latest java 1.8 is what you want.

jwoodall04

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well the casualty bins were wonderful but we had to go back to 6.4.4 because of the LOS issues. I will have to learn to count again. Maybe even accurately. :(

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I will have to learn to count again. Maybe even accurately. :(
Not necessarily. In a game that requires you to earn, say, 25 VP just stick to claiming having earned 28 VP. Your opponent will readily do the counting for you in case it is necessary each and every time. ;)

Cheers,
von Marwitz

Last edited:

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Not exactly a critical bug:

The Russian-coloured BAZ44 counter in the Russian SW-LATW tab is American green when you flip it. :)

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just got a new computer and am re-installing VASSAL (v3.3) & VASL (v6.5). VASSAL went fine, but when I try to install VASL, I get a message: "Invalid Import File: The file 'D:\Games\VASSAL\vasl-6.5.0.vmod' cannot be imported into VASSAL."

Is VASL 6.5 incompatible with VASSAL 3.3, or am I doing something wrong?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I just got a new computer and am re-installing VASSAL (v3.3) & VASL (v6.5). VASSAL went fine, but when I try to install VASL, I get a message: "Invalid Import File: The file 'D:\Games\VASSAL\vasl-6.5.0.vmod' cannot be imported into VASSAL."

Is VASL 6.5 incompatible with VASSAL 3.3, or am I doing something wrong?
It's not compatible

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
thanks, I didn't see that posted anywhere...but any idea if a new compatible version of VASL will be issued "soon"? Would rather not uninstall and re-install VASSAL..

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
thanks, I didn't see that posted anywhere...but any idea if a new compatible version of VASL will be issued "soon"? Would rather not uninstall and re-install VASSAL..
You can click on that link and ask Doug? He'll have a better idea.