VASL-6.5.0 is released

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Right now the plan is to release VASL 6.5.1 soon. It's NOT compatible with VASSAL 3.3.0 but will include all sorts of goodies like counter fixes and Dinant/CdG stuff.

Testing on 6.5.2 is already under way and WILL be compatible with VASSAL 3.3.0. No time frame for release on 6.5.2 but it is in test already.

The above is my understanding of the plan. The guys with the corner offices make the plan. I just listen at their door.

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
thanks, I didn't see that posted anywhere...but any idea if a new compatible version of VASL will be issued "soon"? Would rather not uninstall and re-install VASSAL..
You don't need to uninstall and reinstall VASSAL. You can have 3.2.17 and 3.3.0 installed at the same time.

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually the VASSAL install program made me uninstall 3.3 before I could install 3.2.17. And now I can't install 3.2.17--JAVA download is failing. I'm not happy.

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, so I installed Java, installed VASSAL 3.2.17, and then tried to install VASL 6.5. Got this message:

Getting a bit frustrated here...doesn't VASL 6.5 work with VASSAL 3.2.17 either?

[EDIT] Ooops, I "opened" it rather than "imported" it, and now it works!

Last edited:

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Actually the VASSAL install program made me uninstall 3.3 before I could install 3.2.17.
You chose a Standard install, which removes older versions. You should have chosen a Custom install, which lets you choose whether to keep older versions.

And now I can't install 3.2.17--JAVA download is failing. I'm not happy.
If you're trying to reinstall 3.2.17 and the installer is trying to download Java, that means the installer isn't finding an existing Java installation. You need to install Java 8 or earlier yourself first, in that case.

The Java downloader in the 3.2.17 installer no longer works because of a site reorganization at the place from which the installer was downloading. This is one of the reasons why we started bundling Java with 3.3.0.

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You chose a Standard install, which removes older versions. You should have chosen a Custom install, which lets you choose whether to keep older versions.
Actually I did a custom install, to install VASSAL on my D drive. But 3.3 is uninstalled now, so water under the bridge.

If you're trying to reinstall 3.2.17 and the installer is trying to download Java, that means the installer isn't finding an existing Java installation. You need to install Java 8 or earlier yourself first, in that case.

The Java downloader in the 3.2.17 installer no longer works because of a site reorganization at the place from which the installer was downloading. This is one of the reasons why we started bundling Java with 3.3.0.
Eventually figured that out, but thanks. This has been much more complicated than I remember last time, when I just installed everything without issue.

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aaarghhh! Now whenever I start VASL the wizard starts...if I uncheck the box to have the wizard start, it works, but only until I restart VASSAL, then the wizard appears again. This is really annoying.

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Word of advise. Don't change anything until VASL, Java and the mod is all in co operation with each other.

Let others send the sob story but you can just laugh coz you didn't fall for it..