VASL-6.5.0 is released

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The new British MG: one of them is a 2-8. I have no idea what these are, so I am hesitant to point this out, but is it supposed to have no spraying fire?

Also, what are those?

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The new British MG: one of them is a 2-8. I have no idea what these are, so I am hesitant to point this out, but is it supposed to have no spraying fire?

Also, what are those?
These are from KFW. And it should indeed have spraying fire. Look for a fix in the next release. Thanks.

Mongo5486

Reaction score
First name
Will
Country
llUnited States
In PIF the Polish flame thrower has an X11 but on the scenario card it is an X10.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
1) Agree with Bruce about the labels. I know the counter with the compass rose is the Compass! Don't fix something not broken....with all due respect to such efforts otherwise, why this? We play the physical game without such labels. Maybe people who don't play the physical game need this, but I doubt it... honestly, we just don't need this enhancement.

2) More importantly, there is a visual aspect on the new version I think is a problem. When stacking with HIP units, there is a noticeable offset on my screen, indicating there is something HIP there! What I don't know is if my opponent can see this, but if they can, this will trigger HIP recognition....'something is there'...

The effect is slight, but it can be seen, see image below. This should not be possible. In the old version, this doesn't show up that way, as I recall, on my own view.

3) Another visual problem, now 5/8" counters, like vehicles, when stacked, are offset from the center of the hex. Why has this been changed? I liked the vehicles in the center of the hex or un-stacked. There is no reason to offset them, imo. Look at that below, what is the advantage of this? I still can't see the squad, and now the counter sticks out annoying far into an adjacent hex.

See images -- thanks in advance for taking a look at this, VASL team....note that this is on the CtR board but I noticed it on MMP boards too....if this has been reported already sorry for duplication.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I don’t think anything has changed with respect to stacks containing HIP counters. How do you intend to see the HIP squads in a stack if they don’t appear in the stack? You should be able to before/after screenshot the same situation in both versions.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
thanks for the quick response!

I tried putting the HIP units on top, the offset goes away, but this is confusing if HIP is in the bottom floor of a building. There it is logical to put the HIP stuff at the bottom and then there is a visible offset for the topmost dudes.

What I care about is the opponents not deducing something because things appear differently to them, too. Wasn't that clear?

Anyway, looking at 6.4.4 as you suggested, there was a slight offset too with HIP, just not as pronounced, and I am assuming the opponent cannot detect the offset from his view in either 6.4.4 and hopefully 6.5.0. If that's the case, no harm done, no issue.

What about the 5/8" counter stacking offset? Perhaps it's just my imagination but it looks like a bigger offset than it was in 6.4.4. If it's not, then the only remaining complaint is -- those labels on counters we don't need.

But I do need VASL more than I don't need those new labels, so.....

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
thanks for the quick response!

I tried putting the HIP units on top, the offset goes away, but this is confusing if HIP is in the bottom floor of a building. There it is logical to put the HIP stuff at the bottom and then there is a visible offset for the topmost dudes.

What I care about is the opponents not deducing something because things appear differently to them, too. Wasn't that clear?
it was clear, but so far there is no evidence anything has changed? Maybe pull a friend into a VASL room and ask them what they see in 6.4.x and 6.5?

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
it was clear, but so far there is no evidence anything has changed? Maybe pull a friend into a VASL room and ask them what they see in 6.4.x and 6.5?
["Honosbinda, post: 2017403, member: 27566"]
Yeah. I'll do that just to confirm and report back what we see.
Follow up -- we examined this pretty thoroughly in VASL 6.5.0 this morning and determined that the owner of HIP units sees a shift in unit locations, whereas the opponent does not.

We didn't bother to check 6.4.x because it really only matters at 6.5.0 at this point.

Sometimes, though, we do see some unusual shifting around of the map and units (for example, my opponent double clicked on a concealed stack and it moved a deployed half squad from a different stack to that stack. It's likely the deployed HS was selected before the double click, but this should not result in the unit being teleported to the new location, right?

cheers

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Double clicking a stack to expand it shouldn’t move anything, I agree.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
It shouldn't, but in all versions of VASL that I have experience with (not counting 6.5.0, which I'm not using at present), occasionally and randomly just clicking on a stack will cause all of the counters to change their position (i.e., the top counter becomes the bottom counter, etc.). I assume that this is a bug that everyone is familiar with and nobody knows how to fix because it's been around for so long, but I would guess that it has something to do with Honosbinda's issue above.

If some enterprising VASL coder wants to take a crack at solving this bug I reckon every VASL player everywhere will be eternally grateful. I'd estimate that it happens on average once per player per session for every session I'm playing VASL.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It shouldn't, but in all versions of VASL that I have experience with (not counting 6.5.0, which I'm not using at present), occasionally and randomly just clicking on a stack will cause all of the counters to change their position (i.e., the top counter becomes the bottom counter, etc.). I assume that this is a bug that everyone is familiar with and nobody knows how to fix because it's been around for so long, but I would guess that it has something to do with Honosbinda's issue above.

If some enterprising VASL coder wants to take a crack at solving this bug I reckon every VASL player everywhere will be eternally grateful. I'd estimate that it happens on average once per player per session for every session I'm playing VASL.
Apparently it only happens to SOME people. I get yelled at EVERY-SINGLE-TIME when it happens. My opponent thinks I am deliberately sabotaging the game.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I would not play again with someone who yelled at me.
Life is too short.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Because it doesn't look good.

When I read Bruce's post, I thought he had gone off the handle a bit, then I saw the counters he was talking about :) I have to agree, the new look is off.

Things like stream depth and current direction, yes, they are rarely placed on the map, but then by definition, difficulty finding these counters is rarely going to be a problem. But for the counters we use all the time, it's ugly e.g.
View attachment 12823
And superfluous, since what the counter represents is printed on the counter! :)

There are 2 separate things going on here: (1) finding the counter and (2) using the counter in a game. Labeling the counter might help with (1), but it does nothing for (2). I suspect you've added these labels so that they can be found by the new "counter search" function, but can't the PieceSlot have a searchable label that is not displayed?

+1 for removing the labels.
Only thing I could add to this would be the inclusion of an LV counter with adjustable LV levels. I just grab a grey blank counter now & add the info, but it would be handy to have one in the "OTHER">"MAP">"EC/WEATHER" tabs. Yup, hate the label tabs on these type of counters.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
We just noticed yesterday that hero casualties are counted as 1 VP when sent to the bin. This should be zero in most cases (we just like to bin all casualties to check out the carnage ?), except only for seaborne evacuations (for some odd reason): A26.211 A Hero is worth one VP, but only for exit VP purposes in a Seaborne Evacuation (G14.42).

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Two requests; if there is another better way to "submit", let me know.

1. Translucent control markers. The regular control markers are very nice, but they obscure the map. It would be nice if they were translucent, but visible to both sides, while still retaining the option to be HIP.

2. Wounded Leaders. Right now to wound a leader you have to ELR them, then apply the wound status. ELR does not always accurately track the status of the counter (ie. for a Wd 6+1 or 8-0). It would be nice to be able to be able to accurately change the counter with one command. As wounded leaders count for CVP with their new stats, there should be no game reason not to do this, so far as I can see.

Thanks!

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@CTKnudsen this is the perfect venue to request stuff like this. I don’t know off hand if these requests can be accommodated but I’ll get them added to the list for discussion. Thanks!

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Two requests; if there is another better way to "submit", let me know.

2. Wounded Leaders. Right now to wound a leader you have to ELR them, then apply the wound status. ELR does not always accurately track the status of the counter (ie. for a Wd 6+1 or 8-0). It would be nice to be able to be able to accurately change the counter with one command. As wounded leaders count for CVP with their new stats, there should be no game reason not to do this, so far as I can see.

Thanks!
Why do you have to ELR them? You just do HOB-Wound.