Twilight Of The Reich And WO #15 Are Up For Pre-Order

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Who is being negative? I appreciate the fact that MMP has come out with some great products, I enjoyed both J13 and J14, none were over the top expensive and well worth the time spent playing those products. I just do not understand why MMP is charging so much for so little with TotR module. Do we really need more location markers? Do we really need a box? I mean, MMP's Manila module had more goodies in there and at a much cheaper price.
Much Cheaper price indeed.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Muahahahahaha... the nightmare for a well known Oberst´s counter storage system:devilish:😄

View attachment 27733
The Oberst is in pain!

How can he concentrate on winning the war while the hairraising questions of how to accomodate new counters to the existing storage or how to create an entirely new one based on 3D-printed inserts (which are rumored to be the much anticipated and desperately hoped for "Wunderwaffe" of storage) is menacing his mind?

von Marwitz

FrankH.

Reaction score
$123.00 bucks? We get a couple of counter sheets (75% we already have):

four 11˝×16˝ geomorphic double-sided maps (16a/b-19a/b) two map boards actually.
49 overlays
two countersheets
Updated ASL Rule Book Chapter A & Chapter B Rules set
17 ASL Scenarios
one box and lid

At most I was willing to pay up to $75.00 for this but $123.00 just seems way too steep for what you get.
I too had a bit of a shock when I saw the price. It was more than I expected. I won't say what I expected. However, thinking a bit further, I suspect the cost of the large number of overlays, the cost of inflation in general, and the cost of supporting this new, fairly innovative module, especially the new rules and their interactions, once it gets out into retail, explains most of the higher price.

I would think that the new rules for debris creation, for rubble creation, the rail car counters and for a special version of OBA will probably take some time to iron out in the real world (i.e., the retail world).

I am sure it will reach its P# soon enough. I hope that the volume of orders, and expected purchases, can cover the support that it to be expected. I expect this module to eventually outsell both Manila and Saint Marie Eglise, so comparisons to the price of those modules are probably not useful. This issue will be, over time, how much support will be needed from the large number of users and players. Certainly, with a few quibbles here and there, you are seeing a major general advance in the ETO ASL game system - much of it will or can apply to all existing modules and scenarios. Maybe not quite the advance that we all saw when Beyond Valor was released, or when Red Barricades was released, but more than anything since then. Remember how significant the Red Barricades HASL was viewed by the late 90s that it was, if I recall correctly, incorporated into the 2nd Ed. of Beyond Valor?

Last edited:

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I too had a bit of a shock when I saw the price. It was more than I expected. I won't say what I expected. However, thinking a bit further, I suspect the cost of the large number of overlays, the cost of inflation in general, and the cost of supporting this new, fairly innovative module, especially the new rules and their interactions, once it gets out into retail, explains most of the higher price.

I would think that the new rules for debris creation, for rubble creation, the rail car counters and for a special version of OBA will probably take some time to iron out in the real world (i.e., the retail world).

I am sure it will reach its P# soon enough. I hope that the volume of orders, and expected purchases, can cover the support that it to be expected. I expect this module to eventually outsell both Manila and Saint Marie Eglise, so comparisons to the price of those modules are probably not useful. This issue will be, over time, how much support will be needed from the large number of users and players. Certainly, with a few quibbles here and there, you are seeing a major general advance in the ETO ASL game system - much of it will or can apply to all existing modules and scenarios. Maybe not quite the advance that we all saw when Beyond Valor was released, or when Red Barricades was released, but more than anything since then. Remember how significant the Red Barricades HASL was viewed by the late 90s that it was, if I recall correctly, incorporated into the 2nd Ed. of Beyond Valor?
Don't forget - MMP prints in USA. unlike some of their competitors.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
It has been said it is a core module and if so the P# is irrelevant , it will get printed regardless.

FrankH.

Reaction score
It has been said it is a core module and if so the P# is irrelevant , it will get printed regardless.
Actually it matters a bit, as long as the system is not gamed, and is not gaming itself, as it helps to decide the size of the first print run (which in some cases may be the last print run until there is a reprint).

Robert Fabbro

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Then there is the cryptic "Updated ASL Rule Book Chapter A & Chapter B Rules set". Does this mean those chapters will be included in their entirety? If so, that could explain some of the cost.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
$123.00 bucks? We get a couple of counter sheets (75% we already have):

four 11˝×16˝ geomorphic double-sided maps (16a/b-19a/b) two map boards actually.
49 overlays
two countersheets
Updated ASL Rule Book Chapter A & Chapter B Rules set
17 ASL Scenarios
one box and lid

At most I was willing to pay up to $75.00 for this but $123.00 just seems way too steep for what you get.
More like a Boxed Action Pack.
I priced it out about the same as you. $123 is the PREORDER...it's MSRP is like $165

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Manila was like $99 preorder.
TotR is a full $30 more expensive with FAR less to offer.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
But Manila had six paper maps unlike TotR with four double-sided maps. The SK style boards would definitely cost more to print.
Plus, the value of things have changed since Jan 2021 when Manila was added to the Preorder.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Then there is the cryptic "Updated ASL Rule Book Chapter A & Chapter B Rules set". Does this mean those chapters will be included in their entirety? If so, that could explain some of the cost.
Only Replacement Pages, not the entire Chapters.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Woo hoo! I'm pre-order #2
Got mine pre-ordered, a bit of sticker shock but not surprised that everything is more expensive post-pandemic, does not matter the product, it just costs more. I liked the last century much more for how far my dollar would go but that's life in the 21st century, deal with it.

I'm sure the product itself will be great, Tom Morin was involved in at least part of the process and was very enthusiastic about what they came up with. Deluxe Factory boards with big, nasty, late war OBs? Bring it on, I'll have my dice ready when it does get here. Also the Winter Offensive bonus pack looks even better than usual so at least I should get some real bang for the buck later this month, enjoy!