Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Lo and behold, hear this!

We all know that proper ASL counters shall be clipped. Nay, that they shall be 'precision-clipped'.
It is widely accepted that the "Oregon Laminations 2mm Deluxe Corner Rounder" is the benchmark against which all other tools are measured.

If there was any need to ennoble this precision counter clipper above all others, hear this testimony, to which I, Oberst von Marwitz, personally bear witness:

Today, I went to the public authority here in Germany to request a new identification card. This requires a photograph. And this photograph which is used for official German ID cards is cropped - you see it coming - with the very Oregon Laminations Deluxe Tool (with a special inset to crop the photographs to 25mm x 35mm).

Now, if even the notorious German bureaucracy deems this tool appropriate for the production of official German ID cards, then it just MUST be the ultimate tool. ;)

von Marwitz

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Not to contest the supremacy of Oregon Lamination clippers, but... the German ID card is made by gluing a paper photograph? (that was the case maybe 20 or 30 years ago here in France, but for a long time our ID cards are printed with the photograph - I assume to make forgery more difficult)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Not to contest the supremacy of Oregon Lamination clippers, but... the German ID card is made by gluing a paper photograph? (that was the case maybe 20 or 30 years ago here in France, but for a long time our ID cards are printed with the photograph - I assume to make forgery more difficult)
Nay, how come you think it could ever be that easy? ;)

First of all, kids need a new passport one every year... So if you wanna go on vacation outside Germany, that's 37 Euros per kid plus the money for the photograph. They changed this to this madness two years ago.

For ages 24+, the ID card is more expensive but it is good for 10 years. But you need an extra passport (mostly) outside the EU. Which is still more expensive.

For the kids, you need a valid old passport, then some writ of content and a copy of the passport of the second parent if not personally present during application at the authorities. Or some other documents if - heaven help - your passport is expired. You can't just take any picture - it has to meet some specifications (needless to say).

When you lug all that stuff to the authorities, then they clip the photograph and glue it on a special form, which is then scanned. Then they scan your fingerprints. Then you have to sign two documents. Then - after a couple of weeks - you will receive postal mail informing about some data privacy matters (you can have some functions disabled or enabled on the chip embedded in the ID/passport). Then you can personally pick up you ID/passport.

At the authorities, you usually draw a slip of paper with a number, so you know your place in the queue when picking things up / applying for the thing.

So, you see that it is all done and conducted the proper inimitable German way.

And, gee whiz, you are already done.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
And I thought that one of the benefits of the EU was no need for inter-EU travel documents...or are they only required for travel outside the EU?

========================
On topic:
I was sorting scenarios, replacing old ones, and putting them into their appropriate binders when I came across this:

My daughter (6-7 months old) found a red marker back in January or February of 1998 and decorated this scenario card and the back of my RB map.
I showed it to her earlier this week, though she doesn't remember doing it. :)
Fortunately I only played the campaign game, and now I have a replacement that was included with RO.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The part that impresses me most is when the photograph is clipped before it can be scanned.
It has to have the correct dimensions before it can be fixed on the correct form, which is then to be correctly scanned for the correct process without which there could be no correct ID as the result.
You have to submit to the inevitable.

But there are some parallels to the world of ASL (beyond the Oregon clipper):
I remember a recent post in this forum, where - instead of RAACO inserts - alternative inserts were designed to optimally fit 1/2" counters, which were then 3D printed, and manually rasped down in height as to allow three instead of two layers of them within a RAACO Assorter.

von Marwitz

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
And I thought that one of the benefits of the EU was no need for inter-EU travel documents...or are they only required for travel outside the EU?

========================
On topic:
I was sorting scenarios, replacing old ones, and putting them into their appropriate binders when I came across this:
View attachment 20917

My daughter (6-7 months old) found a red marker back in January or February of 1998 and decorated this scenario card and the back of my RB map.
I showed it to her earlier this week, though she doesn't remember doing it. :)
Fortunately I only played the campaign game, and now I have a replacement that was included with RO.
Givining those Landsers a real evil touch :devilish:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Filed away all my Advancing Fire modules in page protectors.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Transferred my main informational counters from a Raaco assorter to two Box Box containers. The Box Box can slide into the bottom Handybox slot where the assorter was, you just have to make sure they don't slide out during transport. The first container is the mostly infantry-related/basic counters and the second container is all vehicles.

Attachments

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Transferred my main informational counters from a Raaco assorter to two Box Box containers. The Box Box can slide into the bottom Handybox slot where the assorter was, you just have to make sure they don't slide out during transport. The first container is the mostly infantry-related/basic counters and the second container is all vehicles.
You could also put an elastic or two around the tray, so that if it does fall out, maybe it will stay closed.