Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Damn, that like the ship's log! :)
Worked in the engine room in the Navy. Logs were a way of life.

I still have my final log entry from my last Cold Iron watch ( the steam plant was shut down, the pipes were cold, well at least not !!!! degrees ). Hence cold iron.

Taking the log entry was most likely theft of Government Property but it was probably for the best. I was not a very good sailor and had an attitude. Made E-5 because I am good at taking tests. Six years active duty. Good Conduct Medal, Honorable Discharge. Not recommended for re-enlistment. I was good at not getting caught too.🙄

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Augustus 14th, 60 A.D.

On this date the very first FOBA in Advanced Cohort Leader history occurred in Alexandria, Egypt. Testacles Maximus and Cranius Minimus, two longtime CL and ACL opponents were playing the ACL remake of the CL classic The Rubicon Bridgehead. One of their favorites as it featured the Testacles Maximus counter.

Suddenly one of Cranius' many miws ( Old Egyptian for cat ) comes dashing into the villa chasing a bird and lands squarely on the boards, scattering counters all over the marble floor.

Legend had it that the bird was an African Swallow. The two old gamers would have been furious with the miw but in a spectacular leap it caught the bird. Perhaps aided by the fact that the Swallow was carrying a coconut!

August 13th, 1988

Bucholz Station
Axis = Darryl Allies = Fish
Begun 1931 Ends 0044
Turn 6A Fish wins

August 14th, 1988

Midnight Massacre
Axis = Fish Allies = Darryl
Begun 0113 Ends 0959
Turn 5B Fish wins

Ambush
Begun 1015 Ends 1210
Turn 3A Fish wins

Ambush
Begun 1215 Ends 1510
Turn 6A Fish wins

Among the Ruins
Begun 1600 Ends 0002
Turn 8A Fish wins

The Whirlwind
Begun 0102 Ends 0300
Turn 3A Fish wins

The last two are on a different page but is listed as 1988. The begin and end times are consistent still the notebooks are not totally accurate and my apologies for any misinformation. Other than the obvious " misinformation ".
Well doing some quick cipherin' this says we played six scenarios in about thirty one hours, about thirty one turns and didn't sleep. 🙄

That may have been true, we did some massive playing, but take that with a grain of salt. Just sayin.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
September 10th, 1952. Bill " Fish " Conner is born. Legend has it he came out of the womb clutching a pair of dice in one hand and a harmonica in the other. I was never able to confirm this.
Professor Talo has yet to verify this although his research is mainly focused on the brand of the harmonica.

September 10th, 1988
Fast Heinz
Begun 2100
Ends 0014
Turn 6A
Fish wins

September 11th, 1988

Blazin Chariots
Begun 0102
Ends 0218
Turn 2A
Darryl wins

Blazin Chariots
Begun 0218
Ends 0405
Turn 3A
Fish wins

Road To Kazani Pass
Begun 1539
Ends 0030
Turn 7A
Fish wins

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since he was an ASL player, I would assume the harmonica would be "Marine Band"!
Would have liked to have met him better than I did in L.A. Origins in the late 1980s.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Since he was an ASL player, I would assume the harmonica would be "Marine Band"!
Would have liked to have met him better than I did in L.A. Origins in the late 1980s.
Glad you did get to meet him. 🤗

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
September 10th, 1952. Bill " Fish " Conner is born. Legend has it he came out of the womb clutching a pair of dice in one hand and a harmonica in the other. I was never able to confirm this.
Professor Talo's research into this has bogged down not only on the brand of the harmonica but whether or not they were precision dice! Academic types!

Happy birthday old buddy. 🤗

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
October 3rd, 1986
On this date the first Advanced Squad Leader Oktoberfest started.

10-3-87
Backwater of War
Allies = Darryl
Axis = Fish
Balance = Germans
Begin 1513
Ends 2151
Turn 12 b
Darryl wins

10-3-87
Backwater of War
Allies = Darryl
Axis = Fish
Begin 2207
Ends 0047
Turn 4b
Fish wins

10-4-87
Backwater of War
Allies = Fish
Axis = Darryl
Begin 0102
Ends 1037
Turn 4b
Fish wins

Apparently we slept for a bit. Or were playing really slowly.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
I was good at not getting caught too.🙄
That was the perk of seniority, you knew how far you could bend the rules without getting in trouble. An ass chewing or a stern reprimand maybe, but never written up. 😇

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
March 24th 1122 A.D.
On this date an English monk named Gunther, who was obsessed with Advanced Cohort Leader, released GROWL, Gunther's Record Of Wins/Losses. This was the first compilation of data of ACL scenarios since Marcus Nixonius' The Numbers of ACLOk in 1072 AD.

While collection of results was extremely slow due to poor roads and communication Gunther was diligent in his gathering of these which he dutifully recorded on a sheepskin parchment. He was fortunate to have an opponent who shared his love of ACL. This was the local Baron who interceded when Gunther's superiors thought that he was spending too much time playing and not enough time praying. Upon Gunther's death this parchment and it's invaluable information was left to the Baron. It's whereabouts from there are unknown although Professor Talo had uncovered some extremely interesting information that may lead to it's recovery.

The recording of ACL scenario information languished until the 19th century and the invention of the telegraph. Information could now be transmitted at a speed undreamt of by Gunther. This gave rise to The Legionnaire's Log. However events in the world saw a rapid demise in wargames and ACL and Legionnaires's Log were soon lost to the past.😔

Professor Talo didn't want me to announce this before his research was completed but I couldn't contain the excitement! The Professor believes that he had discovered the location of Brother Gunther's original sheepskin manuscript!

Professor Talo believes it was on the sheepskin parchment that the Magna Carta is written on!! He has discovered that one of the Barons who forced King John to sign the Magna Carta was the direct descendant of the Baron who was Gunther's ftf opponent. Parchment was very rare at the time and the Baron, a great ACL player himself, gave up his family's priceless document to help give birth to another priceless document.

Hundreds of years of ACL information were scraped off of the sheepskin to make room for the Magna Carta. However the Professor thinks that the original information can be retrieved, much like a palimpsest. He is currently in negotiations with the British government. Updates to follow.

3-27-93
Cibik's Ridge
Darryl given IJA by Fish
Fish = US
7A Darryl wins
Note says " another piece throwing extravaganza ".

Cibik's Ridge
Darryl = IJA
Fish =US
4B no winner written

Cibik's Ridge
2A no winner written, just a note, " these don't count ". LMFAO!

Fort McGregor
Darryl = Brits
Fish =German
3B Fish wins
Note says " too tough for Brits, should never have made it out of playtest. Encirclement City ".

Jungle Citadel
Darryl = Chinese
Fish = IJA
4B Fish

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, you don't hear much about Jethro Tull anymore but they were classic!
They sure were! I still listen to them at least monthly, they have way too much great music to forget. They had more musical talent, incredible songs and experimental song structures in the 70s than modern listeners can imagine. Saw them a half dozen times, including seeing both Ian Anderson with his flute for My God, then Martin Barre on guitar, both 3 feet away from me, blasting out incredible solos in 1975. $5.50 for front row, LOL! Those were the days...

Back to pondering how I survive turn 2 as the Russian in VotG 24 Raid on Rodimtsev tomorrow.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
They sure were! I still listen to them at least monthly, they have way too much great music to forget. They had more musical talent, incredible songs and experimental song structures in the 70s than modern listeners can imagine. Saw them a half dozen times, including seeing both Ian Anderson with his flute for My God, then Martin Barre on guitar, both 3 feet away from me, blasting out incredible solos in 1975. $5.50 for front row, LOL! Those were the days...

Back to pondering how I survive turn 2 as the Russian in VotG 24 Raid on Rodimtsev tomorrow.
Actiondebbie and I saw them at Anaheim Stadium in '76 or '77 with three or four other groups for $10. Rory Gallagher, Robin Trower and Starcastle I remember.

Robin Trower followed Rory Gallagher. Big mistake. Gallagher had the crowd rocking. Trower put people to sleep!🤣

The tickets were $7.50 for festival seating. We were on the field pretty close to the stage. This was thanks to our neighbor Rita who cleared a path through the crowd like a NFL lineman. Actiondebbie and I still laugh about it.

It was August 15th,1976. I first saw Actiondebbie on July 4th, 1976. Our nation's Independence Day and the end of my independence. 🤣

Last edited:

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Actiondebbie and I saw them at Anaheim Stadium in '76 or '77 with three or four other groups for $10. Rory Gallagher, Robin Trower and Starcastle I remember.

Robin Trower followed Rory Gallagher. Big mistake. Gallagher had the crowd rocking. Trower put people to sleep!🤣

The tickets were $7.50 for festival seating. We were on the field pretty close to the stage. This was thanks for our neighbor Rita who cleared a path through the crowd like a NFL lineman. Actiondebbie and I still laugh about it.

It was August 15th,1976. I first saw Actiondebbie on July 4th, 1976. Our nation's Independence Day and the end of my independence. 🤣
Never saw Rory, sad about that but man, I saw Robin Trower 10+ times, he never, ever, put us asleep. Bridge of Sighs, if that does not wake you up, I don't know what will.

Back to the VASL League today...

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Never saw Rory, sad about that but man, I saw Robin Trower 10+ times, he never, ever, put us asleep. Bridge of Sighs, if that does not wake you up, I don't know what will.

Back to the VASL League today...
Lol there are only two concerts where I saw people falling asleep, as opposed to passing out. That one when Trower was playing, btw I thoroughly enjoyed his performance, and Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock with just two grand pianos. No band. After a few minutes people were yelling " Return to Forever "! Nope just pianos. After that a sizable portion of the audience dozed off. It was rather boring.
Unlike ASL which was never boring. 😉