Today in ASL history

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
On this date in 52 AD renowned Roman game developers Ioannes Collis and Dominus Lignumviride released Cohort Leader, the progenitor of all subsequent war games. In 59 AD they followed up with the wildly successful Advanced Cohort Leader. In 62 AD they met a premature end after taking on Nero in a three way scenario and jicking him. The Emperor didn't fiddle around when he lost.

July 28th, 1990. Fish and I played " The Penetration of Rostov ". Fish was the Axis and I had the Allies with the balance. Started at 1816 hours, finished 0141 hours, turn 11B. Fish wins.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Feel free to contribute with your own historical facts. Please keep the
hagiography and revisionist history to a minimum.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The sobering fact is that it is highly unlikely that I have ever played ASL on this very date of any year in history...

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Once owned a personel copy of Oberst von Marwitz´s "Beyond Valor"... inside was nothing but two bottles of Château Mouton Rothschild.
Captain Bacchus and I try to avoid sobering facts as much as we can.
The pieces are falling together to form a picture... So the two of you are behind the mysterious disappearance of my two bottles of Château Mouton Rothschild.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The pieces are falling together to form a picture... So the two of you are behind the mysterious disappearance of my two bottles of Château Mouton Rothschild.

von Marwitz
What's a couple of sailors to do when the box of wine is empty? That was tasty stuff but we prefer a good 2019, those were past their " best by " date. I can send you a box of Franzia to make up for it. Or maybe you would prefer Mogan David 20/20? ???

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
What's a couple of sailors to do when the box of wine is empty? That was tasty stuff but we prefer a good 2019, those were past their " best by " date. I can send you a box of Franzia to make up for it. Or maybe you would prefer Mogan David 20/20? ???
MD 20/20 mixed with beer and four sailors in a small boat on a river. Good times.

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
My game log tells me the following.

On 2016/7/28 I played scenario G42 YOUTH'S FIRST BLOOD with Bruno L'Archeveque. I lost with the Canadian side.

On 2004/7/28 I played scenario J87 FLAMES OF UNREST with Andre Escobedo. I won with the Germans.

On 2000/7/28 I played scenario PB2 HOWARD'S MEN with Bruno. I won with the British.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
My game log tells me the following.

On 2016/7/28 I played scenario G42 YOUTH'S FIRST BLOOD with Bruno L'Archeveque. I lost with the Canadian side.

On 2004/7/28 I played scenario J87 FLAMES OF UNREST with Andre Escobedo. I won with the Germans.

On 2000/7/28 I played scenario PB2 HOWARD'S MEN with Bruno. I won with the British.
Very nice. Mine are all in notebooks which I'll have to dig out someday.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
July 29th, 1066 AD. William the Conqueror, one of histories great gamers, orders his craftsmen to start construction on The Dice Tower of London for his annual Advanced Cohort Leader tournament ACLOk. His head Mason who was not a gamer misunderstood the instructions and built the White Tower. Bill the C, as he was known to fellow gamers did not have his dice tower in time for ACLOk and his head Mason became his headless Mason.

July 29th, 1990. Grab at Grabovo. Axis/Darryl. Allies/Fish. Started 0225 hours. Finished 1358 hours, broke for some sleep. Turn 8A. Fish wins.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The sobering fact is that it is highly unlikely that I have ever played ASL on this very date of any year in history...

von Marwitz
Trying to hook you up with Thunderchief for next July 28th. He hasn't played on that day either.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
July 29th, 1066 AD. William the Conqueror, one of histories great gamers, orders his craftsmen to start construction on The Dice Tower of London for his annual Advanced Cohort Leader tournament ACLOk. His head Mason who was not a gamer misunderstood the instructions and built the White Tower. Bill the C, as he was known to fellow gamers did not have his dice tower in time for ACLOk and his head Mason became his headless Mason.

July 29th, 1990. Grab at Grabovo. Axis/Darryl. Allies/Fish. Started 0225 hours. Finished 1358 hours, broke for some sleep. Turn 8A. Fish wins.
29 July 1999 I played G25 The T-Patchers and lost as the Germans.

Oktober (I mean October) has been a good month for me (for volume anyway) in the past...

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
29 July 1999 I played G25 The T-Patchers and lost as the Germans.

Oktober (I mean October) has been a good month for me (for volume anyway) in the past...
Oddly enough my Oktober totals were down.

Last edited:

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
AD 312 the Emperor Constantine dreamt of a great victory against Maxentius, the unworthy co-ruler of Rome. In his dream mysterious voices advised him to "go ye forth into battle with pure heart and balanced dice. Hold ye high above thee the Orange Tome and shall ye triumph".

It so happens Constantine had to take the Milvian Bridge,... and he did. Thus was the first ASL bridge/river assault scenario was born.

Reliquum est historia as they say.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
AD 312 the Emperor Constantine dreamt of a great victory against Maxentius, the unworthy co-ruler of Rome. In his dream mysterious voices advised him to "go ye forth into battle with pure heart and balanced dance. Hold ye high above thee the Orange Tome and shall ye triumph".

It so happens Constantine had to take the Milvian Bridge,... and he did. Thus was the first ASL bridge/river assault scenario was born.

Reliquum est historia as they say.
I just love history!!