The real question to answer about CM:BN (poll included)

What "extras" will the Deluxe version of CM:BN release with? (multiple choice)

• Miniature tank

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Miniature soldier

• Coupon for $ off module purchase

• Free copy of CM:BO

• Tank print

• CM:BB Gamer's Guide

• Total voters

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
What 'extra' will the release include? Will there be a 'deluxe' version? :devious:

This isn't a vote on what "should" be released, this a "bet" on what we think the likeliest release will look like. But feel free to discuss what you would "like" to see in the thread.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Mostly, I'm just wondering if there will be a mousepad again. I could see a Deluxe version with a map of Normandy at the least. Or also likely that no Deluxe version at all would be offered. Not sure what to bet on at this point. Looks like I forgot to put an "other" option in the poll. Any other ideas?

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They won't offer a Deluxe Version with "extra anything." Any "extras" will be added as the hook to entice you to buy the first Mod.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The CMSF mousepad was cool. My wife loves it and it's on her primary computer.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The CMSF mousepad was cool. My wife loves it and it's on her primary computer.
I still use mine three years later also, mostly out of lack of anything better to use. I can't imagine many people actually spend money on mousepads. Too many ways to get them for free.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
More customer relations stuff here:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=97373

I've been leery of jumping on the beta testers in recent months, but it does seem like they are very vocal in this thread. The first reply (post #2) is actually very helpful. But it goes downhill from #4:

O, my god the world is going to end because it is plastic instead of steel
Haven't seen the box yet so can't comment. I won't be using it to protect my games from bullets or shellfire, so steel or plastic is probably irrelevant. Nonethess, I have to admit I was also expecting the same construction that my Band of Brothers or SPR DVDs came in. It's not about the actual box, I think customers have a right to express concern about BFC's ongoing reputation for customer service, going back to the flawed mousepads (with the wrong data printed on it) or the CMBB strategy guide that was so messed up they had to reissue it at their own expense. It's nothing I'm angry or twisted about, it's just one of those "that's too bad" moments that they seem to have a lot of.

Someone posted (Rule_303) a couple days about about publishers and "straight talk" with their customers. This was Steve's response to the thread:

Stingray,

I'm sorry to see the new padded envelopes didn't stop one of the gorillas from breaking your box. I had a UPS forklift drive a PC tower into a loading dock (or something like that) many years ago and the damage was "impressive". So I sympathize!

I've forwarded this thread to Moon. However, if you sent an email to sales that will get to him too.

Quick note... the spine also has a little strip of steel on it.

As someone who has some knowledge of where steel prices have gone over the past few years (for example, my steel roof on my house!) I shudder to think what a 100% steel box would cost! Thank God copper has at least come down in price some. Don't get me started on Gold and Silver prices. Thankfully I don't do home renovations with those metals
I think if he had said "we thought they were steel, too" it might have gone down easier than a lecture on gold prices.

For the record, I was never expecting actual steel - cheap tin or aluminium or whatever stamped metal they actually use. And so thin you can bend it with your hand. They make disposable cookie tins out of them, figured this would not be a challenge or break the bank for anyone. And hey, if you can't afford to offer to sell it - don't sell it. Or at least, investigate what it is you're selling before you line up your customers and advertise it.

Life goes on.

junk2drive

Reaction score
Those Danish butter cookies that come in round tins are fairly cheap. Steve makes it sound like the cookies are free and you are paying for the tin.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Then why did BF advertise it as a steel book??
I can only guess. They were probably looking for some special to offer preorder customers, found someone who offers "steel books" and arranged with the distributor to provide them. They then arranged the custom artwork, etc., probably over the internet, and quite possibly never held an actual "steel book" in their hands, or if they did, it never occurred to them that anyone would object to the plastic part or consider it false advertising.

How little they know their picky little client base. :)

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The ****ing box is fine, except maybe a little small. Not in the same league as the Quake3 Arena box I still use but fine.