The last battle

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've always thought Rocherath-Krinkelt and Elsenborn Ridge would be interesting. I actually toyed with that idea once upon a time -- but had no time to give much attention to it. Any TPPs have a go at it?

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Yeah, the Historical study format like Watchtower and Veritable in a thin box. I loved that format and wished they'd have kept churning them out.
It’s not about MMP churning them out tho, but lots of hard work by the designer, playtesters and proofers that get it almost ready to sell , they then offer it to MMP to either say yes or no to taking it onboard and refining it and then if accepted another wait till print!

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So something like the only parachute brigade in the Indian Army fighting off a Japanese advance through the jungles of India? Would that make a good HASL with geoboards used in the battles for the outlying areas?
Don't know. Could be. If there is a limited piece of terrain that cannot be duplicated by existing geoboards, then yeah.

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, the Historical study format like Watchtower and Veritable in a thin box. I loved that format and wished they'd have kept churning them out.
Both of those included rather large HASL maps with accompanying smaller scenarios using geoboards. I like those releases too but that isn't exactly what I mean. I'm saying that we could cover a lot of uncovered battles by using a much smaller approach - namely and for instance, to create a 1/2 geoboard sized piece of historical (HASL) terrain and combine it on one geoboard with generic terrain. The 'approach' terrain for the HASL battle could use both the 'other half' of the above geoboard as well as other existing generic geoboards. In fact, a large 1/2 geoboard sized Overlay designed to mate with an existing geoboard could also be done.

So, all a designer would need here is a small chunk of specific, historical terrain that could be reasonably contained on a 1/2 geoboard and much could be done to increase our HASL selection and make it easy for MMP to prepare, vs. a massive HASL release. I'd be willing and able to help prepare such a 1/2 HASL geoboard - if it seemed to be something interesting. (I'm not into some ASL: Finland, Ethiopia, Norway, etc. - but glad to look at East Front, Normandy, Italy, PTO, etc.)

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wonder if something like Takrouna would be a good fit for such a treatment.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
From Peter on CSW:

"What I have on Polish Eagles is that it includes a 1939 HASL, plus geo-board actions following Polish troops throughout the war."

Sounds similar of what was discussed above, although MMP has classified it as a Module, so possibly bigger than OWHS and OVHS.

Last edited:

Doc Martin

Reaction score
And now there's three books on Elsenborn in my Amazon cart. Shit.
If I had the experiance in scenario design, as well as campaign experience, I think Elsenborn and St Vith would be good to combine with an updated KGP. A la the 4 Bridges project. Alas I do not have said experience

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't know. Could be. If there is a limited piece of terrain that cannot be duplicated by existing geoboards, then yeah.
There a place called Sangshak. Carl Nogueira and I have been working on it for BFP. I did the research, laid out the historical forces and Carl has taken it and turned it into ASL. Gurkha and Indian Paras aided by a battalion of straight leg Indian infantry. The forces hold off two depleted regiments of Japanese infantry. It’s during Operation U-GO. Scenarios start at the Japanese crossing the Chindwin River and end at the beginning of the twin battles of Imphal and Kohima. Geoboards and a HASL.

Last edited:

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There a place called Sangshak. Carl Nogueira and I have been working on it for BFP. I did the research, laid out the historical forces and Carl has taken it and turned it into ASL. Gurkha and Indian Paras aided by a battalion of straight leg Indian infantry. The forces hold off two depleted regiments of Japanese infantry. It’s during Operation U-GO. Scenarios start at the Japanese crossing the Chindwin River and end at the beginning of the twin battles of Imphal and Kohima. Geoboards and a HASL.
Is there a particular geographic area that could be properly replicated on a 1/2 geoboard (or something similarly small)? Also, would there be enough additional battles in the same vicinity that could use existing geoboards and together combine and make an interesting package representing the entire battle?

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If there is any interest in play testing on the HASL board please contact Carl.