SP152 Nova Buda Butt-Kick....

Sven

'Fin(n) Fan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Generals!

Just played this scenario out of the latest Schwerpunkt as the Russians and got my ass handed to me shrink-wrapped with a red bow.

WOW.....

As of this posting, ROAR shows 4-3 pro-Russian, so I know at least four of you have won this as the Russians.

HOW?????????? Inquiring minds want to know.... :)

Mind you, this is a gaggle of mediocre Russian infantry crossing open ground with a de facto CVP cap and getting plugged by SS in level 3 (net) stone building locations.

It was brutal. I'm still in therapy. :crosseye:

So I am curious.... Is this one of those scenarios that can ONLY possibly be won by doing the wave...?

Thanks......

--Conscript Sven, 5th shtrafroty

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My thoughts are written in the mag; however, while I think Steve Pleva won as Russians, he too thought it was pro-SS.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Played this one at ASLOK and won as the SS but just barely. But being a typical SP scenario, time is not on the Attackers side, so the Russians will need to hustle forward as quickly as possible, through open ground and merderous fire.

But if I was to play the Russians, I would more then likely attack across board 16 instead of board 4 just because the SS have more of a commanding view of board 4 then board 16.

Scott

asler

Reaction score
My thoughts are written in the mag; however, while I think Steve Pleva won as Russians, he too thought it was pro-SS.
I played this at ASLOK against David Goldman and lost as the Russians also. IIRC, David and I both felt it was tough on the Russians. It wasn't pretty crossing all that open ground. I did pull off a Human Wave which worked quite well to get into the buildings along the edge of the hill - but it was too little too late. I also recall that Steve won as the Russians but thought the SS had the edge. If I were to play it again as the Russians I'd probably be more aggressive with the T-34's - they're just not going to provide supporting fire against the stone buildings so they might as well run up and eat PF attempts in order to prevent the German infantry from firing at the Russian infantry. Maybe...you still need some armor in the end when the Germans get their reinforcements.

Chris

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Give the Russian the balance. A little bit of smoke should make it easier for the russians. Still, ROAR has it 4-3 in the Russian's favor you say?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Give the Russian the balance. A little bit of smoke should make it easier for the russians. Still, ROAR has it 4-3 in the Russian's favor you say?
Looking blindly at the numbers and without considering the quality of the players, the odds that an 80% pro-German scenario would start out 4-3 pro-Russian is around 3%. Possible, but not a very satisfactory explanation. Since altering the results of one or two playings will swing those results a great deal, it's still early in the polling. That's why we don't like to project results until after the polls in California close ;-) I like to look at the recommend rating, in this case a healthy 7.2, to get some idea of how close the players felt it was.

JR

Sven

'Fin(n) Fan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I were to play it again as the Russians I'd probably be more aggressive with the T-34's - they're just not going to provide supporting fire against the stone buildings so they might as well run up and eat PF attempts in order to prevent the German infantry from firing at the Russian infantry.
I tried bringing in most of the infantry spread out across board 4 in a direct run to the VC. Then I loaded up the T-34s with some riders and sent them on a wide left hook. The idea was to at least force him to have his HMG CA locked on one side or the other during movement. This flanking force actually made it across and grabbed a few buildings on the hill.

Two things killed me: rate, and the arrival of the German reinforcements (which are awe-inspiring...).

Might be worth a shot to try freezing with the T34's next time, but it still sounds like a bloodbath waiting to happen...

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played it at ASLOK against Timbo and managed a win as the Russians. IIRC, I swung left using the woods cluster as cover & then used the T34s for cover between the woods and the hill/buildings over there. There may have been a small flanking force to the Russian right to keep the SS honest. Don't remember a ton of details beyond that - I probably used my TD duties to distract Timbo and constantly interrupt the flow of the game whenever his dice got hot or he found a rhythmn to his game...

Steve Pleva beat Yves Tielmann narrowly in this one when he bailed the crews out of the T34s on the last turn to give him enough "infantry" for the win. Yves apparently didn't see that one coming and in hindsight wished he'd push the attack more to try to capture more buildings.

I believe Scott Holst's win he discussed above was over Bob Bendis which was largely responsible for making him the ex-Grofaz. IIRC Bob drove a T34 into one of the buildings and rubbled it making it no longer count for the VC which cost him.

Anyway that's a narrow W each way for some very good players in this one. It's certainly an attack that's "work" for the Russian and if the MG in overwatch gets hot for the SS, I don't like the Russians chances. I think when I played Timbo the MMG didn't do a lot which helped my cause greatly. It is a good scenario for the "Electric Football Attack", sans half squads of course, don't stack, attack as a blob & pray they don't get ROF. Plus you can leverage the T34s for cover where you need it & you do have lots of T34s.

I'd play it again...

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I tried bringing in most of the infantry spread out across board 4 in a direct run to the VC. Then I loaded up the T-34s with some riders and sent them on a wide left hook. The idea was to at least force him to have his HMG CA locked on one side or the other during movement. This flanking force actually made it across and grabbed a few buildings on the hill.

Two things killed me: rate, and the arrival of the German reinforcements (which are awe-inspiring...).

Might be worth a shot to try freezing with the T34's next time, but it still sounds like a bloodbath waiting to happen...
I agree wholeheartedly with this assesment. One change contemplated was making the German HMG another MMG. However, I think the SS would be in deep trouble without the HMG, barring very good dice.