Smoke & Routing adjacent to KEU

Elfego Baca

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
See attachment. Broken German (trapped on Level 1) is adjacent to KNEs, and must rout. E3/L1 not allowable.

But is F4/L1 legal? It is an ADJACENT hex, but the brokie won't have a LOS to the British MMC in F3/L1 due to +6 hindrance between the two locations. (+3 Smoke in F3, and +3 from F4 (+2 Smoke w/ additional +1 for out-of-location LOS hinderance.)

I think routing to F4/L1 is OK for the German.

Sound good?

TY
JohnM

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
See attachment. Broken German (trapped on Level 1) is adjacent to KNEs, and must rout. E3/L1 not allowable.

But is F4/L1 legal? It is an ADJACENT hex, but the brokie won't have a LOS to the British MMC in F3/L1 due to +6 hindrance between the two locations. (+3 Smoke in F3, and +3 from F4 (+2 Smoke w/ additional +1 for out-of-location LOS hinderance.)

I think routing to F4/L1 is OK for the German.
Per A10.51, a broken unit may not rout to a Location ADJACENT to an enemy unit it is currently ADJACENT to. Per Index, ADJACENT ignores SMOKE when determining LOS. Routing to F4 is not allowed.

JR

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I don't think that F4/L1 is legal, because it is ADJACENT to F3/L1 (SMOKE hindrance is excluded to determine if units are ADJACENT.
See Index :
ADJACENT (Locations [and units in them] are considered ADJACENT if any Infantry unit in one Location could conceivably—ignoring any enemy presence—advance into the other during the APh and a LOS exists between the two Locations, excluding SMOKE Hindrance [B.10] and NVR [E1.10Q] as factors)

Elfego Baca

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I realize that the Smoke'd hex the brokie wants to rout to is also ADJACENT.

I just thought that the rout there was OK under A10.5 because the ADJACENT stack became "unKnown" (due to +6 Smoke hindrance) once it routed.

So 10.51 trumps 10.5.

TY for the clarification.
JohnM

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
So 10.51 trumps 10.5.
Technically A10.5 does not apply to movement options like you are suggesting. A10.5 covers when a unit must rout or may stay. A10.51 discusses movement options. There are some cases where "Known" status might alter the options, e.g. if the +2 SMOKE were in E4 instead of F4. Then because the unit in F3 is not Known and A10.51 says it can't rout from ADJACENT to Known enemy unit to a hex ADJACENT to that same unit, the unit could rout to F4 without violating A10.51. But because the enemy unit is Known, matching the first half of the rule, and because the second half says it can't be ADJACENT without also mentioning "Known", the rout is not allowed.

JR

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No DM marker so it is eliminated for failure to rout.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
That's perfectly normal, indeed most likely for everybody, no need to feel even the slightest hint of shame.
No shame indeed.
I was paying jrv tribute for his competence (even though I think he put me on ignore for some time).

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
No DM marker so it is eliminated for failure to rout.
Doesn't it receive a DM marker when a KEU is ADJACENT to it?
A10.62 ... A broken unit is also automatically under DM whenever a Known armed enemy unit is ADJACENT to it (even if it does not end the phase ADJACENT to it)
Wouldn't it surrender - if No Quarter is not in effect?

I feel that I am discovering a subtelty in the game that I have missed...