Rally Point Volume 20 scenarios for ROAR or JR are you still alive?

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We have sent JR a few massages requesting for our Rally Point #20 scenarios to be uploaded to ROAR. It was released October, but our scenarios are not yet listed on ROAR. Is JR ok. Is he still maintaining ROAR?

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
ROAR is also way behind on updates. Including HazMo 4, Quick Six VI, New England Play Pack 2 and others. He did get TotR and WO-15 entered...so there is some updates in.
Dispatches from the Bunker #57 is due out by April 1st, last time it took over a month but #56 scenarios did get in there but ROAR should be way more user friendly with communication with the administrator on getting products on there. Not having a second in charge to help as needed is most unfortunate. Hoping for a better outcome for all of us.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Way too much data in there to give up on it. That said, he should consider bringing on a deputy for just such occasions. Naturally, the tough part is finding a qualified volunteer.
Keep it as a reference source. No need to update it. All new go to the Archive which is much more dynamic and useful.

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Way too much data in there to give up on it. That said, he should consider bringing on a deputy for just such occasions. Naturally, the tough part is finding a qualified volunteer.
All the ROAR data looks to be rolled into aslscenarioarchive already. At least W/L stats. Not sure how often the ROAR numbers are updated in scenarios listed there though.

For example, The Guards Counterattack listing...

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All the ROAR data looks to be rolled into aslscenarioarchive already. At least W/L stats. Not sure how often the ROAR numbers are updated in scenarios listed there though.

View attachment 28523
Often not up to date. I was aware of the fact that the Roar records were carried over by the Archive, but are often months behind. If there was an immediate update, that might be more helpful.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
....but are often months behind. If there was an immediate update, that might be more helpful.
Since the scenarios aren't present in ROAR for months, probably just better to start at the Archive and then let ROAR catch up instead. :)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Sometimes those who are contributing to the game/hobby have to step away or risk getting burnt out and step away entirely.

While ROAR and the Scenario Archives are interesting and perhaps very helpful to some I would never have used either ( if available wbitd ) before choosing or playing a scenario. JMO YMMV.

Mark Nixon published The Numbers of Oktober in The General wbitd with the results taken from the PIS sheets from Oktoberfest. Most likely the first such compilation of it's size for ASL.

Have I ever mentioned that Mark doesn't get the ASL props he deserves?

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

View attachment 28523
This shows ROAR data was updated in October 2023 so 5 months ago. Scenario Archives probably needs cooperation from the ROAR administrator to perform the update. I'd guess it's not automatic.

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This shows ROAR data was updated in October 2023 so 5 months ago. Scenario Archives probably needs cooperation from the ROAR administrator to perform the update. I'd guess it's not automatic.
Yeah, I'm not sure of the update mechanics. But I don't even look at ROAR anymore. It's rarely updated, and the archive allows things like comments about scenarios, uploads of VASL files, etc. It's just a better tool for the job even though the data is less mature.

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree but ROAR is so baked into everybody's psyche that it will require a lot of effort to get folks to change, certainly more than just lobbying here on GS. You know the old saw about turning an aircraft carrier around?

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I will still send new Dispatches Scenarios to ROAR but looks like I can enter my own on the Archive so will send all new ones there. Too bad about ROAR but it is an ancient webpage and if not being updated, just look at both for scenario results.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I agree but ROAR is so baked into everybody's psyche that it will require a lot of effort to get folks to change, certainly more than just lobbying here on GS. You know the old saw about turning an aircraft carrier around?
If there was an agreement, it would be pretty easy. ROAR could change its DNS entry to re-direct to the Scenario Archive and everyone would end up in the same place. Now everyone would have to learn how to enter the data in the Archive. It isn't hard but it did take me a bit to sort it out. It certainly isn't as intuitive as ROAR is.

WRT getting the data, that isn't all that hard either. Scraping the data off of ROAR is pretty easy. You fetch this page (https://www.jrvdev.com/ROAR/VER1/RecordByName.asp). It has a list of EVERY scenario stored in ROAR, the sides, and the wins for each side. Parsing that is pretty easy. The hardest part is matching the scenario names between ROAR and the Archive. If ROAR provided the database ID is assigned to each scenario (https://www.jrvdev.com/ROAR/VER1/ShowScenario.asp?ScenarioID=1354) it would be easier to cross reference one system to the other. Still, as an exercise, it isn't that hard.

If you wanted to, you could retrieve all the data in a loop by working from i= 1 to i=7300(?) to get the data for each scenario stored. You would use this URL (https://www.jrvdev.com/ROAR/VER1/ShowScenario.asp?ScenarioID=i) replacing i with the number. This is a little more rude as it would hammer the ROAR server with requests so you would have to make sure to throttle it. Also, you don't know what the exact top end ID is so you have to check each return for this string (An error has occurred: Unable to load scenario with ID=i ) to know when you have reached the end. Doing it this way would allow you to retrieve the actual ID, deconflict those which have been republished with balance changes, etc and you would have the actual ID ROAR uses so later you could retrieve. But again, this is sort of a rude way to go about it.

In the end, I don't see why JR should give up his project just because some new fancy thing came along. I don't see why Dave should abandon his just because someone was already there. It would be nice if they worked closer together but alas, I honestly don't know why either should. I get that it would be nice for us, but we aren't spending the money and we're not invested in the processes. I often get asked "why didn't you just add your articles to someone else's site?" I didn't because I want control over my work and if ANYONE is going to derive money from the traffic I create, it's going to be me (and I don't derive any money by conscious choice). I don't begrudge Dave or JR for their choices. -- jim

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I will still send new Dispatches Scenarios to ROAR but looks like I can enter my own on the Archive so will send all new ones there. Too bad about ROAR but it is an ancient webpage and if not being updated, just look at both for scenario results.
You know your PDF doesn't look all that modern either ;) Ancient isn't bad. And AOL as a point of sales address? 1980 called and it wants its tech back :D -- jim