Raaco Inserts

dojimaster

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
Why do players use the A78 inserts instead of just using A75 for all counters?

dojimaster

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
After seeing your links, it is clearly an overdesign, looks nice but , my experience tells me (played about 7300 scenarios) that it is not worth it.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Aw

aweful waste of space doing it that way
If you only want to optimize space, then you'd to the 'upright' storage for vehicles with paper tabs to separate them.

But if you like to pick vehicles by the 'visual' method - which I prefer as well - then his storage approach is much nicer.

That said, the extra dividers for A75s add up in cost.

If I started with a storage system now (or when I can bring myself to update it because of the new counters in Hollow Legions and Twilight of the Reich), then I would directly switch to 3D-printed inserts that are more 'space-effective' than A75s and A78 while still enabling a 'visual' storage approach.

That said, I would not reduce the number of RAACO Handy Boxes (currently three for a roughly double OoB). The extra space gained by the 3D-printed inserts I would use to have some empty buffer space to safeguard against future 'storage system overflow'.

von Marwitz

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with von Marwitz and would go with the visual method with the latest-3D-printed inserts. The upright method (with labels/dividers) does pack everything in, at one point I was able to get all the core modules into four Assorters.

I you want to buy some A75s I do have a lot to sell and I'd give you a good price.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Never Understood labeling a slot with a particular squad....THAT SQUAD... I can LOOK into the slot and see the squad that's in there.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Why do players use the A78 inserts instead of just using A75 for all counters?
If you entertain the thought of setting up a RAACO storage solution, this document might be of interest to you.

It is a couple of years old and as such does not consider the possibilities of 3D-printing yet.
Furthermore, the resources referenced for Labels etc. do not take into account the new counters from "Forgotten War", "Hollow Legions 3rd edition", and "Twilight of the Reich".

Yet, I believe it can still be helpful of providing some thought on how to tackle your personal "optimal" solution.

von Marwitz

Trainspotter

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I want to bring people's attention to these: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6287513

I spoke with Boyce (the creator) for about a half hour about these and looked at examples of his work. These are outstanding. They stack and are held together by magnets. I really like his work here and think others might like it too. -- jim

punchdrunk

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I want to bring people's attention to these: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6287513

I spoke with Boyce (the creator) for about a half hour about these and looked at examples of his work. These are outstanding. They stack and are held together by magnets. I really like his work here and think others might like it too. -- jim
I just made my first test tray of the full ASL trays last week and they work great. The link above is to the SK trays. The full ASL trays are here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6389423

The downside is I had just made nice new labels for a bunch of my Planos.

dojimaster

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
Those of you who are 3D printing, what printer do you have and is it overkill for something like this?
Is there a basic printer you’d suggest?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Those of you who are 3D printing, what printer do you have and is it overkill for something like this?
It depends on your budget and how much you're willing to fiddle around to get it to work. You can buy budget printers for ~$200 but that will likely require you to fiddle around to make it work. It isn't hard but it can be very frustrating. If you want one that "just works" you're going to spend a lot more money out of the gate for a Prusa or Bambu. You're not limited to just printing trays. I use mine to also print terrain for my family D&D game, right down to magnetic dungeon tiles a-la Dwarven Forge. You can print minis too but a resin printer is a better option for minis. If you just want trays, I would try to figure out how many you might need and see what a printing service would cost you first. They will do them quicker and easier than you can. -- jim

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I have a relatively high-end Prusa printer (Mk3S - the brand is high-end, the model is not anymore compared to their newer printed), which is very likely overkill for something like this. Prusa printers are well known to be very reliable and well-designed, but they are not trying to be cheaper than the competition.

The trays are indeed very nice, I'll definitely give them a try. My only concern is that, as standalone boxes, they may not be as sturdy as Raaco (plus, using these would mean I would have to retire my stacks of Raaco boxes).

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm waiting for the first person to show off their Titanium 3D printed storage trays.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'm waiting for the first person to show off their Titanium 3D printed storage trays.
Curse on you! Now you have irrevocably planted this thought into our minds... ;)

All right - now we only need some NAVY guys or Air Force flyboys. Don't they have some metal-3D printers for making spare parts?

I know - you could be kicked out the service in disgrace. But on the balance - you would be the first one having titanium 3D printed storage trays and would walk out of oblivion into ASL folklore forever...

von Marwitz

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
Curse on you! Now you have irrevocably planted this thought into our minds... ;)

All right - now we only need some NAVY guys or Air Force flyboys. Don't they have some metal-3D printers for making spare parts?

I know - you could be kicked out the service in disgrace. But on the balance - you would be the first one having titanium 3D printed storage trays and would walk out of oblivion into ASL folklore forever...

von Marwitz

Or you could just go to a service that does it instead..........

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I got an voxelabs aquila x2 for christmas. Worked pretty much straight out ofbthe box despite me blowing a capacitor!

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The trays are indeed very nice, I'll definitely give them a try. My only concern is that, as standalone boxes, they may not be as sturdy as Raaco (plus, using these would mean I would have to retire my stacks of Raaco boxes).
Hmm, didn't check before. Another concern is that the "full-sized" trays won't print on my printer, they have too large a footprint. Just started a trial print of one of the "half-sized" models.