Overlay Poll

Are You Less Likely to Play a Scenario wilth Overlays?

• I am less likely to play a scenario which uses overlays.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • The use of overlays does not affect my desire to play a scenario.

Votes: 74 72.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pitman said:
The poll, as currently phrased, doesn't recognize this.
Mark, I was only interested in recognizing one thing: if you had two scenarios on the table before you, and one used overlays while the other didn't, would you lean away from the scenario with overlays?

I was only looking to see what percentage of people who took the poll might have that knee-jerk reaction to overlays; it's as simple as that. Certainly I could have been more clear I suppose.

You are correct in that some might find, say, 2 overlays acceptable, but 3 crosses the line. I was interested in finding out something far more basic than that.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
da priest said:
Well troops..that's it..poll over..his pomposity has spoken...:smoke:
Nice, Ron. A post completely devoid of content, consisting only of a personal attack. How old are you again?

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chas, as written, the poll is completely unanswerable for me. Neither choice would be true.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I have no problem about overlays.
I even do appreciate them, as they can change the configuration of "too well known" boards.
As I place my maps under a thin plexiglas sheet, the number of overlays is not an issue for me.

I am much more 'hostile' about scenarios having SSRs that modify a lot of terrain features (e.g. all hills are ground level woods, all brush are rubble, excepted hex #A3 which is a pond, etc...) : my low IQ and the fact that my memory is visual first tends to lead me to forget these 'invisible' changes at some moment during the play... :nuts:

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
More Overlays

I've said it before and I'll say it again - we need more overlays.

Transparent ones for hills and bigger ones - 8,9,12, etc hexes - for the rest of the terrain.

Adam.

cifdale

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
The presence of overlays or the number of overlays has no inmpact on whether or not I will consider playing a sceanrio. I am more interested in the respective force pools and the SSRs. Jeff DeYoung

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
overlays

Ditto what others said...Overlays don't bother me at all until the numbers involved become large, say 6 or so, certainly 8+.

Jim McLeod

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am fine with Overlays. I can't see what the big deal is with players who do not like them other than the fact that they have to dig them out. That amounts to, to a certain degree, being lazy.

JMO.

=Jim=

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Special K9 said:
Overlays have never stopped me from playing -- unless I forgot to bring them with me and/or my opponent doesn't have them.

I also have access to large format printer, so sometimes I just use VASL and print out the maps with the overlays already incorporated into the map.

Kevin
That could be the topic of another poll....How many times have you had to change scheduled games because you are missing an overlay or board. I know it has happened to me a couple of times.

Jimfer

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jim McLeod said:
I am fine with Overlays. I can't see what the big deal is with players who do not like them other than the fact that they have to dig them out. That amounts to, to a certain degree, being lazy.
=Jim=
In a scenario with 10+ overlays, is it a question of being lazy or a question of preferring to spend one's time playing rather than constructing?

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pitman said:
In a scenario with 10+ overlays, is it a question of being lazy or a question of preferring to spend one's time playing rather than constructing?
The other night, Greg and I played one with 4 overlays. After pulling the overlays (which I have pre-sorted, just like counters) installing them took maybe 20 seconds apiece. Two hex coordinates, 1 and 2 on the overlays, not overly complicated. So even on a scen with a ton of overlays, (Clash Along the Psel comes to mind) if it takes 10 minutes to place the overlays, I'm going to play for 6-8 hours, what freaking difference does 10 minutes make?

You'll spend more time pulling counters than placing overlays most of the time.

I don't get it I guess. You're going to spend at least 1/4 of your day playing a game, what's another 5 or 10 minutes (and geeze, that's a generous estimate) to place some terrain?

I know we don't have a life, but c'mon.

byouse

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pitman said:
10+ overlays takes how long to set up? 1 minute? 2?

I could almost understand if you don't have everything cut out. But if its all cut out and available the "time" it takes to set up the overlays just can't be that significant in the scheme of things...

Oliver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I, for one, see Mark's point. After reading these clarifying responses, I guess I'll go back and answer "No," in that the presence of overlays ALONE won't tip me one way or the other. I'm more interested in the OBs, the situation, number of turns, and what I and my opponent are in the mood for.

For example, if we're looking for something quick to play and I didn't bring my overlays to a club meeting, then I guess I'll skip a scenario with overlays. Or, if we're looking for something "quick" and it has, say, more overlays than the number of turns, then I'll skip that, too. But I'd never reject a scenario out of hand solely because it has overlays in it.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
byouse said:
10+ overlays takes how long to set up? 1 minute? 2?
Must . . . resist . . . urge . . . to ridicule . . . MMP . . . for discussing . . . speedy action . . . so difficult . . .

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The other features of any given scenario are more important to me

Once upon a time, when I was a newbie ASL player, I avoided scenarios as if they were liverwurst or :eek: blood sausage.

Nowadays...

Part of it is an increased familiarity with overlays, especially since one of my gaming buddies explained the number of the overlay for the first 6 of each type corresponded to the size of the overlay. As recently as 5 years ago, overlay id's were just another set of letters and numbers on the map. More recently I can look at a scenario using X3, Og2, O4 & O5, and Wd5 & Wd6 on Brd 5 and know the designer has placed a hunting lodge in the middle of a forest before I pull out the board and the overlays. 3 minutes later and I'm ready to pull counters...

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>Chas, as written, the poll is completely unanswerable for me. Neither choice would be true.

I agree.

I'll treat a scenario with 1-4 overlays the same as a scenario with no overlays. Once you get in the 5+ overlay area, I give it serious thought to time needed to find them, place them on the board, etc. The only scenario I've played with 8+ overlays is Clash Along the Psel. Normally, I refuse to play scenarios with that many overlays.