no communication on MMP website

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kevin has got the right idea.

I actually think MMP does a good job of keeping the ASL community informed. I visit GS and CSW and between those I think I get most of the news very quickly.

I think the place they could improve is directing people TO those places. Instead of keeping the largely silent blogs up, maybe throw up a simple "Community" page that says "Here's where the ASL conversation is taking place" or "Here is where the Gamers conversation is taking place" and include links to BGG, CSW, GS, etc..

That way they don't have to create a whole new place for us to look for info and then put in extra manpower to keep it fresh and updated.
Hey.....

What are you doing?

Letting everyone know I have an IDEA?

What are you trying to do? Get me in TROUBLE.........

Thanks for the kind words.....

KevinR

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As one who thought that MMP was all but dead last fall (with everything fundmental to ASL out of stock and no activity on the site for months), I think that there is definite room for improvement.

If Perry is serious that they cannot possibly update their website and communicate on other forums, then I think MMP needs to admit it. Have the communications guy find a free 15 minutes and post one last blog on MMP:
"We're closing these blogs, but will continue to communicate through the CSW folder for MMP (and folders for our games), on GS, and on BGG." Make some of those words into links, lock comments, and post it.

As it is, you have a blogs section on the website which was fairly active through early 2012, but has been completely dead since mid-2012. That looks like a business failure, not a change of communications.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The one obviously influences the other, but when we were more active on our website, I most assuredly did not notice a surge in traffic there.

The only time I go to the MMP site is to pre-order an ASL item or when you made the Festung Budapest over-sized Rubble/Debris countersheet available to the public. There's really no other reason to go there.

Others had a great idea that you should point newbies to the ASL sites at GS and C-World for info and to get questions answered. When you guys have something to say then you usually post it on either or both.

Moral to the story - more time on the net, less time developing games.

dachda

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't understand how it takes much time to post the same announcements made on CSW and here, into the blogs on the MMP website. Just announcing the same info in all places would be a big plus. It just can't take that much time to write up the paragraph onto CSW, and then copy and paste it here and then open the blog, enter a password and paste the same info there. It just can't be that hard. We would love some in depth blog entries on the hows and whys of the development process of the latest product, but I think we could settle for the same info announced on CSW being dropped into the blogs.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't understand how it takes much time to post the same announcements made on CSW and here, into the blogs on the MMP website. Just announcing the same info in all places would be a big plus. It just can't take that much time to write up the paragraph onto CSW, and then copy and paste it here and then open the blog, enter a password and paste the same info there. It just can't be that hard. We would love some in depth blog entries on the hows and whys of the development process of the latest product, but I think we could settle for the same info announced on CSW being dropped into the blogs.
Some folks never visit the MMP website.

I knoiw Chas Argent does his best to get info out.... But his primary job is to get the ASL stuff created, proofed, edited, and then approved by the MMP Board of Directors before they are sent to the printers.....

I heard MMP created a communications spokesman earlier this year, but I have not heard any word from him here, BGG, CSW or the MMP website.

Someone has to take charge and be that spokesman......

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Its not Chas' job to do the communicating, it that NON communicating dude on the payroll that's a waste of a paycheck as far as I can tell. Like KK said, not ONE WORD ANYWHERE.

I wish I had his job, announce me as the new communication guy, let me get his paycheck, and you'll never hear from me again.....:p

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Its not Chas' job to do the communicating, it that NON communicating dude on the payroll that's a waste of a paycheck as far as I can tell. Like KK said, not ONE WORD ANYWHERE.

I wish I had his job, announce me as the new communication guy, let me get his paycheck, and you'll never hear from me again.....:p
.. may be it's all subliminal .. reverse the colors here on GS and you will see the site covered with "Buy more ASL" "Buy more ASL" "Buy more ASL" .. "Ollie .. Buy more ASL"...

:alien:

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
.. may be it's all subliminal .. reverse the colors here on GS and you will see the site covered with "Buy more ASL" "Buy more ASL" "Buy more ASL" .. "Ollie .. Buy more ASL"...

:alien:
You mean like on that John Carpenter movie "They Live!". Makes sense now.

tallin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the internet age a viable company needs to have an active website no matter how much traffic it currently may generate. An active website, with at least latest news posted, is a consumers gateway to a company's product or status of that company's product. Without activity, a potential new purchaser of product may think the company is undergoing stress of some kind and potentially avoid buying the product.

Loquitor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would like the blogs to be used to update what is being worked on and what stage in the process a project is currently on. It seems Chas is now wearing a couple of hats only one of which is ASL.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the internet age a viable company needs to have an active website no matter how much traffic it currently may generate. An active website, with at least latest news posted, is a consumers gateway to a company's product or status of that company's product. Without activity, a potential new purchaser of product may think the company is undergoing stress of some kind and potentially avoid buying the product.
Preaching to the choir.

MMP has been severely lacking in marketing since Day 1. They are fully aware of this shortcoming as it has been pointed out more times than I can count, but have chosen a different path over the past 15? years.

fwheel73

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kevin has got the right idea.

I actually think MMP does a good job of keeping the ASL community informed. I visit GS and CSW and between those I think I get most of the news very quickly.

I think the place they could improve is directing people TO those places. Instead of keeping the largely silent blogs up, maybe throw up a simple "Community" page that says "Here's where the ASL conversation is taking place" or "Here is where the Gamers conversation is taking place" and include links to BGG, CSW, GS, etc..

That way they don't have to create a whole new place for us to look for info and then put in extra manpower to keep it fresh and updated.
If one goes to Wikepedia for ASL at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Squad_Leader one will notice that all the external links are not noted in the section that is at the end of the Wiki piece. It looks like a link to GS is not indicated. If someone is good at updating Wiki pages you might look at what is seen on the end of the ASL Wiki page and add a few links... maybe to GS, to Texas ASL or other active sites.

Here is what is at the end of Wiki ASL:

External links[edit source]
ASL homepage on Multi-Man Publishing's website
VASL, an online version of Advanced Squad Leader
Advanced Squad Leader at BoardGameGeek
ASL Starter Kit 1 at BoardGameGeek
ASL Starter Kit 2 at BoardGameGeek
ASL Starter Kit 3 at BoardGameGeek
View From The Trenches, online UK fanzine mentioned in section on third party products
ASL Series on Consimworld
ASL E-Mail Distribution List for discussion on Advanced Squad Leader
The ASL Scenario Archive, the scenario archive site
ASL Wiki, primer on rules and tactics
Desperation Morale, for a comprehensive gallery of ASL material
Google Map of ASL Players World-Wide, Add yourself and find nearby opponents!

Best regards,:salute:
John

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If one goes to Wikepedia for ASL at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Squad_Leader one will notice that all the external links are not noted in the section that is at the end of the Wiki piece. It looks like a link to GS is not indicated. If someone is good at updating Wiki pages you might look at what is seen on the end of the ASL Wiki page and add a few links... maybe to GS, to Texas ASL or other active sites.
Take a look at this entry on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Squad_Leader_Modules

Hakkaa Päälle

Finnish - Module 13, having missed the 2006 target date, may or may not be released sometime before 2021.

Will include 3 new squad types, new vehicles, 16 scenarios, several replacement rules page and board 52 in 'Starter Kit' style.

2021! Sounds about right! :laugh: or :cry:

Last edited:

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Take a look at this entry on Wikepedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Squad_Leader_Modules

Hakkaa Päälle

Finnish - Module 13, having missed the 2006 target date, may or may not be released sometime before 2021.

Will include 3 new squad types, new vehicles, 16 scenarios, several replacement rules page and board 52 in 'Starter Kit' style.

2021! Sounds about right! :laugh: or :cry:

Wikipedia can be wrong.......

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wikipedia can be wrong.......
Heresy! Wikipedia is never wrong! :clown:

Yeah, I know people can edit the entries so the information isn't always 100%. However, I saw that early last year so it's been up for a long while now. I wonder who wrote it? Most of the other entries look pretty accurate...

...sadly I think the comment about HP is closer to the truth than not...

Last edited:

fwheel73

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Here is what is at the end of Wiki ASL:

External links[edit source]
ASL homepage on Multi-Man Publishing's website
VASL, an online version of Advanced Squad Leader
Advanced Squad Leader at BoardGameGeek
ASL Starter Kit 1 at BoardGameGeek
ASL Starter Kit 2 at BoardGameGeek
ASL Starter Kit 3 at BoardGameGeek
View From The Trenches, online UK fanzine mentioned in section on third party products
ASL Series on Consimworld
ASL E-Mail Distribution List for discussion on Advanced Squad Leader
The ASL Scenario Archive, the scenario archive site
ASL Wiki, primer on rules and tactics
Desperation Morale, for a comprehensive gallery of ASL material
Google Map of ASL Players World-Wide, Add yourself and find nearby opponents!

Best regards,:salute:
John
Without going over every External Link path I do notice that the "ASL Wiki, Primer on rules and tactics" you see above belongs to Dave Ramsey but the link-- http://davidramsey.no-ip.info -- does not seem to work. Dave were is that Primer? Maybe it is now in a Journal.:)

Key is.... if you want some links to ASL destinations someone just needs to see that they exist such as at Wikipedia or at MMP. They appear to exist.... so maybe whomever wants some links to ASL sites they can start at Wikipedia. I'll leave it to ye!

Best regards, :salute:
John