MwTII 3 Askim for Trouble

Bigkayeh

Court Jester of absurdity
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For review and please give feedback to the author and do your own playtesting to help him make it better.

MwTII 3 Askim for Trouble Michael Dorosh

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
There will be a bonus prize for anyone who spots the obvious, glaring thing that jumps out at you about this scenario - if the judges haven't picked up on it yet, that is. First one to post it wins the prize.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There will be a bonus prize for anyone who spots the obvious, glaring thing that jumps out at you about this scenario - if the judges haven't picked up on it yet, that is. First one to post it wins the prize.
Would that obvious glaring thing be that it is your design? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Uhhhh...cuz in the first post by Kerry it lists the title of the scenario with yer name right afterwards. Or do you now have a nom de plum, and MD is just an alias?:D
I'm the one that submitted the scenario.

I'll put you down as not noticing.

Prize is still up for grabs. :D

Ralph Malf

***** Veteran
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You didn't say there was a glaring mistake, so two things that I notice are:

#1. River is frozen - just walk across it. :upset:

#2 Germans have range of 6. Just enought o shoot across the river at full-strength. Norwegian range is 5.

Rick

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
You didn't say there was a glaring mistake, so two things that I notice are:

#1. River is frozen - just walk across it. :upset:

#2 Germans have range of 6. Just enought o shoot across the river at full-strength. Norwegian range is 5.

Rick
Not what I'm going for. :D

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
You have to get up pretty koyli in the morning to fool the judges. :mad:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
"soley control" is not proper ASL-ese?
"control" is sufficient and ASL-correct.
I can't see anything else that is possibly wrong.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
The comments

KK- Scenario MTWII 3: The scenario looks good. It has the infantry that will be great to control, for either side. Victory Conditions has on line 2 “and west of hexrow ?” I cannot determine the letter that is used. But I am assuming the 11 buildings in the middle of the map board 10. Top 3.

DR - #3 Askim for Trouble - Okay, the title is hokey and the design has a few flaws
but overall I wanted to play this one. The VC's could be worded a bit
clearer..the German leadership is amazing! This has to be the best led unit in
the Wermacht. I also questioned about who cares if a frozen river is deep...it's
frozen! Lastly, 12 turns seemed a bit long, but initial impressions can be
deceiving. It may take 12 turns to decide this one. Only playing it will tell.

IP - #3 Looks very bad indeed. 12 turns, German 838s, huge German –ve leadership, poorly worded SSR3 (rowhouses). Decent VCs.

TJ - Looks extremely pro German in light of frozen river. Some things about the statement of VC and SSR leads me to question the designer's grasp of the subtleties of the rules? E.G. how is "sole control of a bldg" different than vanilla bldg control as defined in A26.14? Of what consequence is a deep river if it is frozen? Possibly a new-ish player dipping his toe in the scenario design arena? It has potential, but in my opinion requires more than a little VC tweaking. On the other hand, with that tweaking, it looks like a solid ASL situation.

BB - MwTII 3: Askim for Trouble – Uses Board 8! Sudden death VC’s nice! 12 turns, long scenario and it still looks like the Germans will really have their work cut out for them to win this one.

TR - Great name. This is an odd scenario. Not a straight-up bridge crossing because the river is frozen. VC's and the use of bds 8 and 10 make it seem a city fight, which is ahistorical, and the addition of bd 5 (especially with the Germans starting halfway across bd 5, at that) just adds an odd flavor - you expect to see some kind of Norwegian delaying force south of the river (especially with a 12-turn game), but no. At-start Norwegians would seem to need some HMG's, which other designers gave in abundance, but none are to be found here. German immediate win seems odd - how about at the end of a game or player turn, to give the Norwegians a chance to fight back? Others may quibble about 838's here - seems like they were added to help the bridge crossing, but I don't think they're necessary, and they do add an (IMO) undesired city-fight feel. Ultimately feels pro-German, based on their great leadership, lotsa squads and time, and the 81mm MTR with a Mi ld Breeze.

SL - The German has a lot of time to do the job, and some nice places to move his firebase into. Get that mortar into a good position and they could be raining unpleasantness down on the defence with enthusiasm. Also, frozen river gives a lot of avenues of approach. That said, the VC area is compact and hard to approach. My gut feeling is that its a tad long for the Norwegians with that SSR, but I kind of like the way the frozen river crossing could play out.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I also questioned about who cares if a frozen river is deep...it's frozen!
Rule B21.6

Ice is removed from any hex in which an Original HE attack DR scores a KIA on the IFT...mark such hexes as clear water...
If the river were shallow, it could be forded in that hex. If deep, blocked to movement. Conceivably, this could have an effect on multiple hexes if one used the right weapons on it - even if unlikely, you still need to mention it.

No?

Last edited:

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not sure why, but my comments don't seem to be making the postings...

They were:

-Too Long; Too Easy on for Germans; VC are bad with immediate win

Some explanation:
You could shave 3 turns off this puppy and I'd still be bidding German. In 12 turns the Noweigans will either be dead or a broken rabble. Immediate wins are a tough VC to manage correctly. I don't think it works here. The game could be over before the Norweigan reinforcements are on the board... and certainly could be over before they have a chance to effect the game. I would drop that and allow the Norweigans the opportunity to counter-attack. Comeback wins are the stuff that players love to remember and talk about in ASL.

The 8-3-8's seemed a little questionable, but I didn't ding the scenario for that.

The title finished 3rd in my rankings of just the names, and first out of the 3 "Askim" title names.

BTW: A river is deep if undefined by SSR, so its not actually necessary to specify. Nothing wrong with specifying it however.

However the only weapon that can penetrate the ice is the German 81 mtr, and that only on a snakes effects DR. I think the German player should find it easy to avoid doing that.

JT

rottenroller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
NRBH, is Smoke permitted from the 81mm Mortar when Snow is specified as an evironmental condition?

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
MwTII 3 ASKIM FOR TROUBLE
First the locations… Looking at a map that was included in the original material, the Norwegians should have been south of the river with the Germans entering from the north.

Best I can tell, this action occurred 1.5 km west of Askim, or about one-half the distance to the river, not at the river. I would remove the river board and replace it with a large forest board more in keeping of a forest NORTH of the road (see map on page 8 of the pdf materials file.)

Next the Order of Battle: From the material there was 1 Nor Inf platoon and a MG platoon in defense. This makes it seem that the Norwegians should not have 12 squads but only 6-7 squads and they should be equipped with 1 HMG & 2 MMG with no LMG. (page 17, 13/4 0600 hrs)

The reduction of Norwegian forces would allow a 3x 8-3-8 Engineer platoon and a standard 10-11 squad German Inf Company.

Enviroment: With snow on the ground and the action being at 0600 hours (morning) Sun Blindness (F11.61) could have come into play (aiding the Norwegians).