Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Ask your doctor if diabetes is right for you.
She says yes, because I give her a living.
My cardiologist is glad too.

Seriously, a mastered diabetes makes one healthier than other people - and life expectancy is normal (even perhaps better as the diet is excellent for anybody).

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
That is one thing I am trying to avoid!! (regular exercise seems to be working)
Exercise and balanced diet (proteins, vegetables, low carb) help a lot.
After, genetics kick in too.
Diabetes is a "silent illness" : you don't feel it and it progressively destroys your body.
I had nearly totally obstructed coronaries (three stents did the job) and loss of sensitivity in my feet (definitive effect)...
But all is stabilised now.

A good opportunity to verify my eternal hope (as a theologian, I'd better have a solid one). Not that I am in a hurry to a real life/death test... 😁

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Exercise and balanced diet (proteins, vegetables, low carb) help a lot.
After, genetics kick in too.
Diabetes is a "silent illness" : you don't feel it and it progressively destroys your body.
I had nearly totally obstructed coronaries (three stents did the job) and loss of sensitivity in my feet (definitive effect)...
But all is stabilised now.

A good opportunity to verify my eternal hope (as a theologian, I'd better have a solid one). Not that I am in a hurry to a real life/death test... 😁
Theologian heal thyself!🤔😉🤣🤣

It's the best I could come with. Wanted something else besides heal. Needed to tie in with theologian. 😉😉🤗🤗

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The intent of the In-hex Factors rules is to simulate more acutely, in a more nuanced environment, and with greater detail, the effects of a wide range of circumstances within each hex on unit effectiveness. This includes most especially the ability of units individually and/or in coordination with others to make and communicate tactical decisions of all kinds, in order, among other processes, to motivate, organize, move, realign, wheel around, and to identify, sight, target, and concentrate firepower on enemy units, as impacted by the particular characteristics of the terrain-, weather-, and related- specific features immediately in the hex.
It's a great subject of study, worthy of a great game. I don't think ASL is the vehicle. I'm not even sure the scale is correct.

I wonder if it wouldn't be worthier of a man-to-man scale game where each maneuver element (i.e. counter) is a single man.

Have you looked at any of the older games in that genre? TSR's 2nd Edition Sniper (the rewrite of the original SPI version, which was clunky and relied on plotted movement IIRC) comes to mind. As does CLOSE ASSAULT and FIREPOWER. They were published by different publishers, but were basically a game series by Craig Taylor, the first set in World War II, the latter 1965 to approx 1985.

SNIPER (and it's addon HETZER) was playability over realism and quite fun, while the CA-F games were realism over playability and lots of the granularity you seem to be interested in.

Image of FIREPOWER. The status counter at top left indicates whether the machine gunner counter is Suppressed, Pinned, Stunned, Inactive. The arrow counter shows you, IIRC, which side of the tree the Rifleman at bottom is standing on, which will have an effect on his cover and concealment.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
It's a great subject of study, worthy of a great game. I don't think ASL is the vehicle. I'm not even sure the scale is correct.

I wonder if it wouldn't be worthier of a man-to-man scale game where each maneuver element (i.e. counter) is a single man.

Have you looked at any of the older games in that genre? TSR's 2nd Edition Sniper (the rewrite of the original SPI version, which was clunky and relied on plotted movement IIRC) comes to mind. As does CLOSE ASSAULT and FIREPOWER. They were published by different publishers, but were basically a game series by Craig Taylor, the first set in World War II, the latter 1965 to approx 1985.

SNIPER (and it's addon HETZER) was playability over realism and quite fun, while the CA-F games were realism over playability and lots of the granularity you seem to be interested in.

View attachment 18383

Image of FIREPOWER. The status counter at top left indicates whether the machine gunner counter is Suppressed, Pinned, Stunned, Inactive. The arrow counter shows you, IIRC, which side of the tree the Rifleman at bottom is standing on, which will have an effect on his cover and concealment.
Up Front was a nice small unit sized game, almost man to man scale. Probably not what is being looked for here but a great game.

FrankH.

Reaction score

View attachment 18383

"I don't think ASL is the vehicle. I'm not even sure the scale is correct."

On the contrary, from what I can see In-hex factors can easily work with ASL, and at its scale, as an optional rule. You might be surprised.

I would be misleading to think there is or needs to be a similarity to Sniper/Firepower, or that these sorts of additional counters are needed. ASL already has plenty of information counters. Simplicity and compatibility recommend using existing concepts and counters.

Could In-hex Factors be used in other games or at other game scales? I suppose, but my focus has been on ASL so I really have not thought about it.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
On the contrary, from what I can see In-hex factors can easily work with ASL, and at its scale, as an optional rule. You might be surprised.
I might have been had you included an example of what you're talking about.