Location Control in Manila

ibncalb

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
FAO: Filipino Landlords

Building control and marking of building control is painful, clumsy and difficult in Manila.

Multi level, multi hex buildings which are VC necessary.

As No Quarter is in effect the Japanese must be rousted from each location.

Some buildings are extreme. The hospital has 68 locations, 51 that count for building control.

With opposing units, level and fortified markers, minefields, OBA and ACQ counters stacking is an issue.

I don’t remember this being as much of an issue in previous CG, although there are plenty that I don’t own.

I can live with the stacking, but what’s driving me nuts is marking control. I’ve tried marking, next to the VC building control of each level (i.e I put an American control marker on a cellar counter when all cellar locations are controlled by the Allies) I’ve tried rotating location markers to indicate which levels are controlled in a hex but I’m yet to find a workable solution.

What I think may work is just to make a sketch of the building and to keep this to one side and mark off control on that.

Does anyone else have better ideas?

(crossposted)

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
SET DEMOLITION CHARGES
It will cause multiple levels of rubble creation when SET. Reducing the number of Locations by a fair amount.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FAO: Filipino Landlords

Building control and marking of building control is painful, clumsy and difficult in Manila.

Multi level, multi hex buildings which are VC necessary.

As No Quarter is in effect the Japanese must be rousted from each location.

Some buildings are extreme. The hospital has 68 locations, 51 that count for building control.

With opposing units, level and fortified markers, minefields, OBA and ACQ counters stacking is an issue.

I don’t remember this being as much of an issue in previous CG, although there are plenty that I don’t own.

I can live with the stacking, but what’s driving me nuts is marking control. I’ve tried marking, next to the VC building control of each level (i.e I put an American control marker on a cellar counter when all cellar locations are controlled by the Allies) I’ve tried rotating location markers to indicate which levels are controlled in a hex but I’m yet to find a workable solution.

What I think may work is just to make a sketch of the building and to keep this to one side and mark off control on that.

Does anyone else have better ideas?

(crossposted)
Yes!

Searching on the ground floor reveals all above ground contents in a searched hex (12.162 last paragraph). That allows searching Amis to reveal Hipsters on upper levels.

I would rather that all Hipsters were placed on board on turn four or so of a scenario to prevent bug hunts for Hip Jpn halfsquads. But we have what we have.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
But does there have to be a stairway in the same hex?
No.

"All Searched hexes (including all above-ground Locations in those hexes) automatically reveal their contents, including the presence of minefields (but not their type and strength) and Fortified Buildings."

Q&A
A12.152 Can Searching reveal the contents of
Locations that are not Accessible?
A. Yes, as long as one Location in the hex is
Accessible. [J1]

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yes!

Searching on the ground floor reveals all above ground contents in a searched hex (12.162 last paragraph). That allows searching Amis to reveal Hipsters on upper levels.

I would rather that all Hipsters were placed on board on turn four or so of a scenario to prevent bug hunts for Hip Jpn halfsquads. But we have what we have.
Yeah but search casualties. Japanese get a -2 as well. Not something you want to do - better to bump scout.

ibncalb

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Thanks for all of the responses, particularly to Klas and Majordomo, I didn't know that a non accessible location could be searched.

Whilst that does cut down on the building clearance time, it doesn't help with the marking of locations.

Maybe @Tuomo knows of some way to produce traces of the larger buildings, available as pdfs, which could be printed and used to mark location. I mean, it's basically his fault we're in this situation anyway.

At least we're not forced to mark shellhole control.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
some way to produce traces of the larger buildings, available as pdfs, which could be printed and used to mark location.
Oddly enough, for their scenario Thrilla In Manila from B&J, BFP has such a downloadable enlargement for such a building. They also have one for the castle that is used in the HG2 scenarios. You can just make a quick copy of a building off of your map, cut it out, and enlarge it, setting it to the side for use with administrative markers. I've done this before. It didn't matter in my case that a semi-crappy copy was made because it was strictly for visualization/administrative purposes, not aesthetic ones. I remember doing it for the key building in a VotG scenario.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe @Tuomo knows of some way to produce traces of the larger buildings, available as pdfs, which could be printed and used to mark location. I mean, it's basically his fault we're in this situation anyway.
Yeah, I know, and I'm sorry. Once I found out I was getting paid by the hex, I went a little crazy. The orginal Manila map was just a Fort board, but I just kept on adding.

I'll ask them about putting together a building control player aid pdf.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
You're not?

Sorry to hear that... 🤪
Maybe this is because I am lacking your long golden locks... ;)

The Oberst has his hair trimmed according to regulation and for sure, his boots outshine yours. The times are truly scandalous if this is not impressive enough.

von Marwitz