Le Franc Tireur 14 : now available for order

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Alan, hi all,

I disagree :) Your article is very interesting. And not everyone can like what we publish. It's like this.

Rather ask your detractors to write / publish something. Criticizing is so easy...

We all know that you didn't mean to hurt anyone.

We didn't mean to hurt anyone as well when giving the names of "Mozarella" and "Paraculo" to the couple of Italian 6+1 leaders in our countersheets. Nevertheless, several Italian players have been offended (not many though, I would say 2%). One also complained about "Pirlone", since it looks to be a curse in Italian as well. This Pirlone was in fact a Sergeant Major of the Folgore Division (with a funny name though...), who won the Gold medal of military valor during the battle of El Alamein and died that very day (http://www.esercito.difesa.it/en/history/pagine/gold-medals-of-military-valor-of-el-alamein.aspx) . Although some of them understood that these namings were more a mistake than any other thing, the 1% left should stop buying our publications and wait for a reprint of Hollow Legions, this is the advice I would give them.

So don't worry Alan, whatever you'll do, you will always find people to tell you that what you did was baaaaaad. Drink a beer and smile.... and don't care too much about that. Your article is great and meant to offend no one.

X
Thank you very, very much Xavier you just made me feel a whole lot better and I'm certainly proud to have contributed to your magazine.
I shall now go and drink a beer then get to bed (It's kind of late over here in Scotland now)

Tommaso Gollini was very kind I have to say, he put me straight on a few things and understood where I was coming from

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
agreed, it might have been better had I not written the article to be honest

it was certainly not meant to hurt or offend anyone and I hope it doesn't detract from what is a great magazine
agreed, it might have been better had I not written the article to be honest

it was certainly not meant to hurt or offend anyone and I hope it doesn't detract from what is a great magazine
Never feel that way! It reminds of the song Garden Party. "You can't please everyone so you gotta please yourself."

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks, I appreciate that. Have to admit I was rather taken aback by the reaction
Take it as a compliment.

I am not kidding - here's why.

If you wrote an article that is subpar in research and quality, they will ignore it as a nonevent or rip it apart with facts. Either of these courses of action would have been easier for them.

None of them did. They are worried about the impact of the article. (read: it is impactful)

See what I mean? Again, great job dude. Rgds Jack

Last edited:

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Take it as a compliment.

If you wrote an article that is subpar in research and quality. They will ignore it as a nonevent or rip it apart with facts. Either of these courses of action would have been easier for them.

None of them did. They are worried about the impact of the article.

Your point is made all the more by the lack of any reaction to the folgore article. Another very well researched and written article, even if there is a temporal discontinuity in the order of battles textually presented.
As the unit was less controversial and even in its own way famous no concerns have been raised.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FT241 Commando Beach 2 yeah? Well spotted.

I am delighted to see the beach board LFT1 getting used in FT240 Commando Beach 1

LFT2 board getting used in FT248 Hunting High
Has the LFT #1 been made available for sale individually?

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Take it as a compliment.

If you wrote an article that is subpar in research and quality, they will ignore it as a nonevent or rip it apart with facts. Either of these courses of action would have been easier for them.

None of them did. They are worried about the impact of the article. (read: it is impactful)

I never saw it like that Jack and while I am certainly no academic I hope it was a decent article for what it;s worth

sorry if this has taken over the thread a bit

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I'm looking forward to getting rid of my crappy home-made Italian counters I made from the back of Banzai!!! for these sweet LFT counters! I'm also looking forward to the article's including Alan's.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I'm looking forward to getting rid of my crappy home-made Italian counters I made from the back of Banzai!!! for these sweet LFT counters! I'm also looking forward to the article's including Alan's.
I got mine today. The counters are lovely. But obviously they are missing all the SW and AFV.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow! Mine arrived from Ritterkrieg today and guys, it looks AWESOME. LOTS of interesting looking scenarios and the counters look (and smell) divine. And I haven't even cracked the magazine yet. Well done by our French ASL Comrades!

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Reading the excellent Folgore article and on page 48 in the Takrouna section it looks like a placeholder text for the map is there “(illustration - map)” but it was not included? Is this map available?

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got mine yesterday, read the mag and all scenarios. Counters are great. Another winner from Xavier.

benj

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Reading the excellent Folgore article and on page 48 in the Takrouna section it looks like a placeholder text for the map is there “(illustration - map)” but it was not included? Is this map available?
You are right, it is a placeholder text that I think Xavier forgot and that got through the proofing process. Maybe X still has the map somewhere to share it there?

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Question regarding the VC's for FT239 Armored Probe at Sidi-Nsir.

A Condition states that the French must have more Squad-Eguivalents on the Hills 538 and 714 then the Axis, provided the French amass more CVP. Does this mean that if the French have not amassed more CVP and not one Axis unit is on either Hill 538 or 714 at game end the Axis wins? Was this the intent of that VC clause?

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Question regarding the VC's for FT239 Armored Probe at Sidi-Nsir.

A Condition states that the French must have more Squad-Eguivalents on the Hills 538 and 714 then the Axis, provided the French amass more CVP. Does this mean that if the French have not amassed more CVP and not one Axis unit is on either Hill 538 or 714 at game end the Axis wins? Was this the intent of that VC clause?
I suppose so - VC are often worded as "side X wins if so and so happens", and the opposite side exactly if side X fails to satisfy the conditions. When scenario designers want the possibility of a draw, they have to state it explicitly.

benj

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Does this mean that if the French have not amassed more CVP and not one Axis unit is on either Hill 538 or 714 at game end the Axis wins? Was this the intent of that VC clause?
Correct. The French must have more troops on both hills AND they must punish the axis badly.