Latest MMP release

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd like the map a lot better if there was at least one side-to-side spanning road. The orchard placement doesn't make much sense for them as orchards or olive groves (a sh%!-ton of them in non-contiguous hexes on board 88 with not a building in sight?), though they work okay if your intent is to represent sparsely wooded areas by using orchard rules. In any event I'll happily take more hill boards over yet more villages. Well done!
all too many of the Korean roads were such in name only -- and thus fail to pass the 'design -for -effect' test.

It should not be easy for tanks to get around.

FrankH.

Reaction score
There is a lot I like about this map and map concept. But I would have had far fewer roads and bridges - instead of a bridge the road would just go into and out of the gully as if it were a gully with slight road benefits, more level 1 hill hexes, and more depression hexes. Also any village would have been far smaller, maybe just the part on or near the hill and a few buildings across the road. By the way I think in underdeveloped Asia including Korea at this time most actual "villages" would consist of just one large house (a single hex building perhaps with a 2nd level) and a number of hut-type buildings nearby. The large house typically would be for the chief local property owner and his family. The others for actual poor peasants, i.e., most everyone else in the area. One other building in the area perhaps might be a missionary style church or school in the form of a single hex building.

I think the grainfields would be smaller and there would be a bit more brush, particularly on the hills.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think I have reached a saturation point. Especially with counters and maps. Plus I didn't care for the Korean module and 13 of these scenarios are Korean War.

At this point, it's off the rails, and frankly I don't understand this obsession with new maps and counters. I have literally tens of thousands of counters and the maps are at or approaching 100, just the official ones.

I'm done buying. JMO

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think I have reached a saturation point
It's a big tent, Roy. Plenty of room for different perspectives. Dunno if I'd call it an obsession, but sure, some folks like it. I hope some product comes along that's too interesting for you to pass up, but yeah, it's all good, whatever point you're at.

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
About two thirds of the building hexes have multiple buildings and could be SSRed huts.

The roads and bridges could easily be SSRed to not exist, but the artwork allows the boards to be used for other theaters.

I don't mind the scattered orchards to represent trees and light woods. It is easy to visualize open ground hexes as golf greens when in most cases there would be some other terrain features in those "open ground" hexes.

Seth

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Robin, several scenarios in the pack will be good 'intro to ASL Korean War' games for those such as yourself.
Thanks for the suggestion.
I will try.
But the chrome about CPV movement (not speaking of other abundant rules) kept me from having dared try FW.
I tend to shy away from such excessive - IMO YMMV - minutiae.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will try.
But the chrome about CPV movement (not speaking of other abundant rules) kept me from having dared try FW.
Well there are more scenarios with North Koreans -- much easier!

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At this point, it's off the rails, and frankly I don't understand this obsession with new maps and counters. I have literally tens of thousands of counters and the maps are at or approaching 100, just the official ones.
Well for one - the more maps I get, the less I have to rely on overlays or 'terrain change' SSRs. And for two-when these super-talented map elves put some LOS's in that are at the other end of 'intuitive' -- it increases the joy (or the pain, depending on which end of the shot you are on.) of discovery along the ASL journey.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will try.
So, there is a cheat sheet in Rally Point 17 for the CPVA. It is very handy. If you don’t have it, you should get it. And, it has plenty of daylight KWASL scenarios.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In no way was I criticizing the artistic talent of our community. Just that personally, I don't want or need anymore stuff. I would probably still buy a Journal, the best value for my money, but at this point, I am not expecting another of those until after I die of natural causes in my 80's. I'm 54.

Roy

Well for one - the more maps I get, the less I have to rely on overlays or 'terrain change' SSRs. And for two-when these super-talented map elves put some LOS's in that are at the other end of 'intuitive' -- it increases the joy (or the pain, depending on which end of the shot you are on.) of discovery along the ASL journey.

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think I have reached a saturation point. Especially with counters and maps. Plus I didn't care for the Korean module and 13 of these scenarios are Korean War.

I'm done buying. JMO

I agree. It won't stop me from buying some things, and I do enjoy exploring new terrain. However, it's becoming impractical at this point. We have nearly a hundred official boards, and BFP has quite a few also. They are literally becoming a storage problem. Also, the game and boards were meant to be representative terrain, not exact terrain. I doubt there are many terrain types that are not represented. For example, we probably never need another city board. Arguably, we may not need any new boards whatsoever, except for historical ones. What I'd most prefer as a consumer are scenario packs that are just that - a bunch of new scenarios using our existing resources.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Store the boards in page protectors and binders: they don't take a lot of place.
Much less than the mounted boards.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hear, hear! Robin Reeve has the right plan for mapboard storage.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agreed, that's how I do it, along with 120% scaled photocopies in larger sheet protectors.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In no way was I criticizing the artistic talent of our community.
None taken. And even if you came out and said you don't like this or that about the maps, one has to have a thick skin. Heck, I've criticized other people's maps and scenarios. It's all fair game, and as you said, not everybody loves to see new maps.

As one who DOES, though, I think I'll put something together on how this board evolved over the course of 3 years to get where it got. Like scenarios, boards have a certain birthing process, and some take a while to come out. It's also not just The Map Guy throwing the design over the wall and calling it done - there's often a lot of iterating on things large and small, and lots of discussion about unconventional things that may or may not fly. This one in particular was something of a difficult labor, but I hope it eventually hit the spot Pete was looking for, and I hope people enjoy playing on it.

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I will try.
Well, I reread the W chapter and it is less daunting than I remebered.
Especially as not all the rules are used in a given scenario.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Well, I reread the W chapter and it is less daunting than I remebered.
Especially as not all the rules are used in a given scenario.
I have so far played evything but the Chinese from Chapter W. Now when I am more comfortable with other stuff, mainly terrain, I plan to start with Chinese. IMO it is less complex than mastering Chapter G, even if you leave out seaborne assaults and Caves. Summer 1950 is more or less 1945 US and Russians agains each other.

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I think that I was also initially taken back by the Forward Air Controlers and Searchlights rules, but they actually are not very frequent - and/or don't apply in the same scenarios.
My last mental resistances are giving way.
Thanks to all who have encouraged me to overcome my reticence.
At least I was not called a negationist this time.