Is it worth collecting the CH annuals?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
What is the content like of these mags? I remember that annual #1 had some Vietnam stuff in it - which tempts me to buy it. Annual #2 has got Berlin stuff - another temptation. Are these mags any good at all???

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Annual 1 was worth it for the Nam stuff---did not care for Annual two as the Berlin map was a small bare-bones version of Reichstag area,and was not an attractive map--did have a countersheet for Berlin which was mostly duplicate counters of what was in the Tyrant's Lair module. Article content was not that great in second Annual IMHO.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Were there any counters in annual #1? Like for the Nam stuff?

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What do you make of the annuals olli?
I agree that the Nam counters, even if incompatible with historically ASL, was worth the price. Did not have any interest in the other two. Got enough Berlin from them and the third "annual" I didn't care for. That is three "annuals" put out in about two years, I believe. Plus in the Nam leaders, they included another Lindelli counter, I am touched by Ray's sentiment.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Generally speaking, the Annuals are not worth getting. Much of the materials are re-hashed or unfinished, often drawn from the musty backs of CH's submissions drawers or from unfinished submissions sent to CH in the hopes of getting a green light, while the remaining materials are likely to be unplaytested.

Seriously, the inability of some people to refrain from buying CH crap, or to look at it at all critically, constantly amazes me.

bis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's the ASL potato syndrome.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Generally speaking, the Annuals are not worth getting. Much of the materials are re-hashed or unfinished, often drawn from the musty backs of CH's submissions drawers or from unfinished submissions sent to CH in the hopes of getting a green light, while the remaining materials are likely to be unplaytested.

Seriously, the inability of some people to refrain from buying CH crap, or to look at it at all critically, constantly amazes me.
Okay Mark, thanks. Did you get my PM? Curious to hear your reply.....

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi ya-

I think if you dig Vietnam war stuff and a heavy emphasis on eastern front scenarios, then Annual 1 is the way to go. I liked it and hope to try one of the scenarios, though diving into those helo rules will be a bit daunting. The 2nd annual is not that great and can be skipped unless you can snag it at a very cheap price. Basically, I did not care for the reconstituted Berlin stuff, and there was really two really good scenarios with the CH #2 annual, the rest were unimpressive. Once more, if you can get this annual on the cheap, then it is worth it but I would never pay full price for such a product.

CH annual 3 is once more not worth the asking price, the scenarios from the little Normandy HASL map thing really did not jump out at me, the addition of an old online desert CG seemed kind of out of place and odd. I'll say though that the Bir el Gubi map and additional material was really nice but it can not make up for the not so worthy stuff contained therein. What really kind of pissed me off was the addition of two Algerian war scenarios, who the **** has that? And to add insault to injury, RT adds some dumb scenario about Kelly's heros. Of all the material RT has on hand, he had to include those goofy scenarios. Also note, if I am not mistaken, the Ian Daglish article is a reprint, but I cant remember from where. Also note, that the counters contained are a waste, maybe only the stuff for bir el gubi is needed but everything else is just a plain old waste. Oh ya, they are in need of errata too.

Scott

Last edited: