How'd your 2023 Year in ASL go?

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I completed 15 games in 2023 with some wonderful opponents. It was the same as 2022 (though 2022 included an Inor CG). A far cry from my heyday a decade-plus ago where I had a run of several years of ~50 games. I am looking to get in more games this year.

John Garlic

Reaction score
Weslaco, Republic of the Rio Grande, Texas
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
2023 was a great year for ASL. Between FtF, PBEM, and FtF VASL, got in 118 scenarios. Won 68 of them. Played in the Ersatz VASL League, ASL eOpen, Cyber VASL XIII and XIX, and ASLOK. Played 48 different opponents, including my son. Most games against one opponent would be Burnie Fox (17). Opponents from Australia, Canada, China, France, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, UK, and US.

CG x 1 (SF CG-V) (4 scenarios)

AH/MMP x 57 (Core Modules x 11, Action Packs x 10, Best of Friends x 4, Deluxe x 1, General x 3, SME x 2, Hells Corner x 4, RB/RO x 2, S&F x 1, OB x 1, Journals x 14, Winter Offensive x 4)
AF ECZ x 1
BFP x 19
DftB x 3
DtF x 1
FrF x 1
HazMo x 1
HoB FF x 1
LC x 11
LfT x 11
SP x 1
StL x 1
HoB ToT x 1

Playtests x 5

Most memorable scenario is a toss up between Hill 621 and Operation Switchback (U36).

Most personally important was Strayer's Strays with my son.

All in all and awesome year! Looking forward to 2024 and getting to Austin and Fort Worth this year along with hopefully returning to ASLOK.

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bad year for me in terms of games played and record. Only 22 games, vs 30-40 which is usual. And only went 8-14. Been working too much...will do better in 2024. My favorite scenarios were:
J200 One Story Town
J212 Shoulder to Shoulder
J242 Courage of Cowan, probably my #1 for year
J245 Factory Fodder

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
-Closer to Jesus than ever
-read the Bible every day
-Completed 75 hard challenge
-Much healthier eating overall

For ASL/BFP has me getting more done than in years, and with quality.
Back to my "old self" so to speak in designing.

Now hopefully will be rolling the dice more often.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
2023 was a very good year for me ASL-wise.
I played the most scenarios in a single year to date (89 plus 8 playtest) against people all over the world.
I played scenarios from MMP, BFP, LCP, LFT, CH, SP, DftB.
Favourites of the year were:
PP 5 Today we take Hyeres (MMP Provence Pack)
PP 7 A Hunter in a Hurry (MMP Provence Pack)
BFP 16 Snake Charmed (BFP Op Cobra)
WO 16 Wildcat Strike (MMP WO Bonus Pack 6)

I still enjoy the older scenarios, only about 25% of what I played was released in the last few years.

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
2023 saw fewer scenarios— 15, plus 6 playtest scenarios— but more success. Lost in a West Coast Melee Mini Final, but won a Mini at ASLOK (my first). Unfortunately, the Austin Team Tournament did not go forward in 2023.

I am looking forward to more ASL in 2024– including more playtest scenarios.

TheMoonraker

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Simon
Country
llUnited Kingdom
At the fag end of the year I purchased Starter Kits 1, 2 and 3 and started playing again after a false start with ASL more than ten years back.

Currently playing S1 against three different opponents on VASL via PBEM (living close to Stonehenge in rural England means few gamers nearby) and absolutely loving ASL second time around.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
4 wins, 6 losses. A lot of life commitments have conspired from playing more.

West Coast Melee
Burning Wreck BBQ

Best two games: (look familiar?)

O22 Stonewalling the Führer—Germans on the attack, Americans in the village, M36 Jacksons on the prowl — again small but not too small — mobile AFVs on both sides. Has one American win on ROAR.
AP55 The Generalissimo’s Own—Tons of tanks, Chinese attacking from two directions. When the dust settled, the margin of victory was close, just a building location. 62 to 59 pro-Japanese on ROAR.

I did play several SKs with an office mate that I'm teaching at lunchtime. SK2 and SK3.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
In 2023 I did play ASL after all...

2022 was the first hiatus since the late 90s in which I have not played a single game throughout the entire year.

That said, I did not play much in 2023:
11 games, 8 wins, 1 tie, 2 losses.

I enjoyed very much GRENADIER being up and running again.

von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I don't count the games I play, but I played several.
Most noticeable in 2023 was my starting to record videos of solo playthroughs, first in French, then in English.
They can serve as tutorials for beginners, but I don't organise the videos after a pedagogical progression plan.
I simply play the game, explaining things and, when stumbling upon a point that needs some deeper reading of the rules, I do it.
I don't edit my videos, they are recorded "live", for the better or the worse.
Some people do follow my channel and some experienced players point out my errors which, if the comments occurr quickly enough, are corrected or commented upon in the following video.
I am having fun doing that, and it seems that the fun is shared by some people looking at the videos.

Last edited:

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
I returned to ASL in 2023 after about 10 years off. I got back into the swing of things in the summer and got maybe 12 or so games in with 4 different players until the fall when I started work on the house. So, 2023 was a good year in the sense I got playing again and working the RUST off.
Last go around (1997-2013) I played ALOT of games averaging 2.5 games a week all FTF (80% with (CountermanCX)). So, I was really burned out on ASL. Before that mid 1980s -early 90's I played maybe once a month if that. And of course, before that mega load of SL COI as a teen.

Now that remodeling has wound down 2024 looks to be a fair year. If I get 2 - 3 playing's a month, I'll be happy.

Zakopious

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I returned to ASL in 2023 after about 10 years off. I got back into the swing of things in the summer and got maybe 12 or so games in with 4 different players until the fall when I started work on the house. So, 2023 was a good year in the sense I got playing again and working the RUST off.
Last go around (1997-2013) I played ALOT of games averaging 2.5 games a week all FTF (80% with (CountermanCX)). So, I was really burned out on ASL. Before that mid 1980s -early 90's I played maybe once a month if that. And of course, before that mega load of SL COI as a teen.

Now that remodeling has wound down 2024 looks to be a fair year. If I get 2 - 3 playing's a month, I'll be happy.
You are approximately 100 miles from Aurora, Ohio.
The site of the legendary ASLOK (ASL October Fest).
Plan on being there in October so that you can play against the best that ASL has to offer.

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
You are approximately 100 miles from Aurora, Ohio.
The site of the legendary ASLOK (ASL October Fest).
Plan on being there in October so that you can play against the best that ASL has to offer.
Yes, as cardboard cannon fodder...