Global ASL Ladder Challenges & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
What he said. Simple is better, especially if we want to attract other players sitting on the fence about joining.
Agreed - I play about 50 games a year, so my to play list is constantly changing and I would prefer to avoid having to update an archive entry on an ongoing basis.

Perhaps a field for general preferences: ETO only , no desert, prefer early war, only scenarios which are 6+ turns long or whatever?

Hipsu

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I don't think anyone suggested mandatory bureaucracy. I think an archive profile ID field would be swell. You could use it if you like.

But, even better is Deliriums idea for general notes in which the player could put anything he likes if he likes. I would put a link to my archive profile, Delirium would put his general preferences. Everyone should be pretty happy.

rwcallen

Librarian at the Gates
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Spencer Armstrong wanted a pickup game tomorrow and got served with a ladder match. My Russians will defend against Spencer's Nazi hordes in a live via Skype, IFT match of BFP 95 Obian Highway.

Bob Callen

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Spencer Armstrong wanted a pickup game tomorrow and got served with a ladder match. My Russians will defend against Spencer's Nazi hordes in a live via Skype, IFT match of BFP 95 Obian Highway.

Bob Callen
Bob types truly.

S

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
I think I'm behind the eight ball already. Aaron gets a game out of me close to every weekend as it is, and he loves ladders and stuff (so do I, admittedly). Now I know we have the option to pick and choose such games, but knowing the two of us, we'll probably default to ladder, as we already send our results to ROAR, ASLRatings, etc. I signed up for the ASL archive many months ago and promptly forgot to update it until yesterday. At least my ASL life is exiting a state of chaos.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I'm not really sure who challenged whom, but Aaron Cleavin and I will be playing Land Sharkey from the new Dispatch. I have the Brits.

S

Mark Humphries

Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines
I definitely want to avoid mandatory bureaucracy and keep things simple as possible.

My original thinking was that the challenger would just contact the challengee and propose a scenario he wanted play, then they would thrash out the details on their own and post the challenge to this thread for the record. The website would only be updated once the actual results of the match were in and affected the standings or when a player was penalized for inactivity.

That's pretty much our current situation, we can start from there and improve upon it as you all feel necessary. I guess my question is how much more sophisticated do you all feel it needs to be? What features are must haves?

Last edited:

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I definitely want to avoid mandatory bureaucracy and keep things simple as possible.

My original thinking was that the challenger would just contact the challengee and propose a scenario he wanted play, then they would thrash out the details on their own and post the challenge to this thread for the record. The website would only be updated once the actual results of the match were in and affected the standings or when a player was penalized for inactivity.

That's pretty much our current situation, we can start from there and improve upon it as you all feel necessary. I guess my question is how much more sophisticated do you all feel it needs to be?
Not. Keep it all in one place, so it's easy to see.

S

rcarter

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I say keep it simple. I think you challenge and propose a scenario or two. I think most of us are probably up for anything. If we don't know the rules, don't like the options. etc. We just decline or counteroffer.

Rick

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
Davide and I did the exchange lists of 5 scenarios from our to play lists. It was excellent as in the end we added a lot of each other's choices to our individual playlists. We ended up with the top ranked scenario from each list and diced off, with another dice off for attacker. Worked for me, as I was hoping to defend after my last game as attacker went south very quickly.

I've already seen how healthy this ladder is for generating new opponents which will improve my game significantly.

Mark Humphries

Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines
Davide and I did the exchange lists of 5 scenarios from our to play lists. It was excellent as in the end we added a lot of each other's choices to our individual playlists. We ended up with the top ranked scenario from each list and diced off, with another dice off for attacker. Worked for me, as I was hoping to defend after my last game as attacker went south very quickly.

I've already seen how healthy this ladder is for generating new opponents which will improve my game significantly.
Warms my heart to hear that :)

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
i say put the Scenario Archive links in for those that want to use them, more flexibility.

I really don't like using GS for the ladder stuff at all, there are three three threads and it's confusing. Having one web site would be best, but having the functionally that the Scenario archive provides is way better.

Besides I will never ever use ROAR it's the most out dated ill designed web site I have every tried to use, using the Scenario Archive is much more of a pleasant experience to track wins and losses, view scenarios for balances and keep track of the scenarios your seeking to play.

Keeping things simple is good, but using old technology (ROAR) or the wrong ones is bad (GS to maintain/track/issue ladder challenges).

So I vote for using whatever parts from Scenario Archive.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States

Bob Callen
We played half of this rock-em-sock-em scenario tonight. Great fun, to be finished next week.

S

rwcallen

Librarian at the Gates
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We both felt the highlight was a 1,1 TH from one of Spencer's Pz IVF2 (34 TK after crit) vs. one of my Valentines (6 AF). When he followed it up with a 1,1 I couldn't resist saying "That's overkill." Then we both just laughed. Spencer's right, this one's a lot of fun.

Mark Humphries

Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines
We both felt the highlight was a 1,1 TH from one of Spencer's Pz IVF2 (34 TK after crit) vs. one of my Valentines (6 AF). When he followed it up with a 1,1 I couldn't resist saying "That's overkill." Then we both just laughed. Spencer's right, this one's a lot of fun.
In my last VASLeague game we rolled 4 snakes in 5 rolls :nuts:

burniefox

Doomsower
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bruno, got your PM, but your PM "mail box" is full, so I can't get you back! Clear out some of those old messages, dude! :)

B-

Mark Humphries

Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines
Thanks Don! I will check those out.

I still don't know (graphically who is doing what and who is or is not matched with whom).
Yes, for the moment only results and standings are tracked on the website. But don't let that keep you from issuing or accepting challenges in the meantime.

burniefox

Doomsower
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Status
Not open for further replies.