Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
This is a scenario with multilayered VC that forces both sides to think hard about how their actions will impact their VC.

At game end, the side having amassed the most points wins. Points are awarded at game end as follows:

The Germans receive 1 point if they Control more board 10 stone building Locations than the Canadians; otherwise the Canadians receive 1 point.

The Germans receive 1 point if they have Exited at least 31 more VP (excluding prisoners) than the Canadians; otherwise the Canadians receive 1 point (see SSR 7 for allowed Exit areas).

The Germans receive 1 point if they Exit >= 5 AFV prior to turn 6; otherwise the Candians receive 1 point.

The action takes place on June 7, 1944. A small German garrison is in a board 10 village, between boards 33 and 16, supported by an OBA module with an offboard observer. A Canadian force of infantry and 5 Stuart tanks enter on turn 1 near the village. A slew of SS with 10 Pz4 tanks enter on turn 2 from the other side of the board, and bring a second OBA module with them. The Canadians receive a bit of reinforcements of squads and Shermans and the unusual addition of an SFCP.

My plan was to focus on taking the village with almost all my assets. The reinforcement direction would depend on the Germans.

One Stuart with a rider and light mortar scooted to interdict the clearest area. Taking the village in two turns went alright, but I needed to leave one Stuart CE in the steeple hex to freeze the steeple MMG. The OBA eventually destroyed that Stuart and started a flame in the hex, but I captured the MMG. The other Stuarts set up to cover the open ground, but I forgot that the Germans could not enter as Riders.

The SS infantry all came up the middle through the woods. Six Pz4 tanks came on during the same turn west of the woods; four Pz4 tanks came on east of the woods and two of them stayed in motion. Those four tanks' situation led me to commit my Shermans and Stuarts to try for local superiority in that area, especially since I could move my three Shermans to a HD position to those four tanks.

This was my undoing. The Stuarts tried to hit and run. They died. The HD Shermans had one shot each. On Pz4 went down, but all three Shermans went down.

Bruno then had no trouble exiting five Pz4 tanks before turn six to guarantee one VP. I kept playing to hold the village, but by the end of turn five it was obvious that Bruno would get another VP for stone locations on board 10.

If I was to do this again as the Canadians, I would try exiting 3 or 4 Stuarts early and leave the Shermans and PIATs to cover the exit areas in a manner to avoid longe rang Pz4 shots.

The image below is at the end of Canadian turn 3.

View attachment 54364

Last edited:

takai

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
Nice AAR, thanks Michael. This looks like a really good scenario, i'll add it to my to-play list.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep, this scenario has been on my Do-Before-I-Die List for some time