Fortification Location

Kihmbar

Reaction score
What is a Fortification Location? Is it any hex which contains a fortification? Or is it being IN a fortification (which is sometimes a separate location than the rest of the hex)? [I know IN is used for gullies/depressions, but I'm using it here to indicate the unit is claiming entrenchment DRM shown by placing the unit underneath the entrenchment counter. Please excuse my minor breach of ASL terminology, it was necessary to clarify the question.]

A scenario indicates that units must set up in building/Fortification Locations. There are a variety of fortifications given (pillbox, trenches, roadblock, wire). I'm wondering if a unit can set up in the same hex as a fortification without setting up IN the fortification. For example, a trench behind a wall - could I set up behind the wall not IN the trench but in the trench's hex? [And thus be able to shoot at my opponent during his turn and "skulk" out of LOS during my turn.] Or could I set up in the same hex as the roadblock, which does not have a location for units to be IN in that hex? [A unit "guarding" the roadblock.]

All of the fortifications in the scenario are listed in the index under Fortification. Likewise, Location is given in the index as "a hex as well as any of the following sub divisions of that hex: ...pillbox...." There is no definition given specifically for a Fortification Location. So is it acceptable to set up units in the same hex as a fortification without setting up IN a fortification? Similarly, can I set up units in the same hex as a fortification which a unit cannot be IN such as a roadblock?

Have I confused everyone enough? Thanks ahead of time for you assistance.

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What is a Fortification Location? Is it any hex which contains a fortification? Or is it being IN a fortification (which is sometimes a separate location than the rest of the hex)? [I know IN is used for gullies/depressions, but I'm using it here to indicate the unit is claiming entrenchment DRM shown by placing the unit underneath the entrenchment counter. Please excuse my minor breach of ASL terminology, it was necessary to clarify the question.]

A scenario indicates that units must set up in building/Fortification Locations. There are a variety of fortifications given (pillbox, trenches, roadblock, wire). I'm wondering if a unit can set up in the same hex as a fortification without setting up IN the fortification. For example, a trench behind a wall - could I set up behind the wall not IN the trench but in the trench's hex? [And thus be able to shoot at my opponent during his turn and "skulk" out of LOS during my turn.] Or could I set up in the same hex as the roadblock, which does not have a location for units to be IN in that hex? [A unit "guarding" the roadblock.]

All of the fortifications in the scenario are listed in the index under Fortification. Likewise, Location is given in the index as "a hex as well as any of the following sub divisions of that hex: ...pillbox...." There is no definition given specifically for a Fortification Location. So is it acceptable to set up units in the same hex as a fortification without setting up IN a fortification? Similarly, can I set up units in the same hex as a fortification which a unit cannot be IN such as a roadblock?

Have I confused everyone enough? Thanks ahead of time for you assistance.
I would interpret this pretty much as you have described...

So is it acceptable to set up units in the same hex as a fortification without setting up IN a fortification?
Yes

Similarly, can I set up units in the same hex as a fortification which a unit cannot be IN such as a roadblock?
Yes

JT

seagles

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm wondering if a unit can set up in the same hex as a fortification without setting up IN the fortification.
The one exception I might make is regards to a pillbox. It is in fact a second distinct Location within a hex (ADJACENT to the ground level Location comprising the non-pillbox hex Location). Units setup in that hex would need to be in the pillbox Location (i.e., in the pillbox itself) to fulfill the required conditions I would think.

S.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Harder to skull away from a wall with a trench. You have to spend mfs to ener the trench rather than merely give up wall advantage like you can with a building. Of course you then can't be seen from no adjacent same level locations.

Kihmbar

Reaction score
I agree that the one exception to not having to set up IN a fortification would be the pillbox, since it creates a separate location in the hex. Thanks for your responses. I thought that sounded right but I wanted to confirm with folks who have played more than I have. (Also, I am prone to overlooking rules that cross-reference from other sections.)