Fb cg iii

Trezza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Correct. We misplayed the rockets. The Hungarian 10-3 has killed any unit that has moved adjacent to him and has been in very tough to get to positions.

Trezza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We have decided to call the accurate rockets and not rolling for wind every date a wash and letting the rockets stand in place for the Feb 10 date. We did roll for wind for this date and came up with a mild breeze.

Trezza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is one of the best CG's I have ever played. Probably is my all time favorite. More fun to play the Russians but they have a tough VC. More of a challenge to play the Axis powers. The FB CG special rules make it a great challenge for the Axis. Remember to roll for WCDR before every date. Mild breeze on a FOUR or a FIVE.

Not playing this week.

Trezza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played through Allied Turn 2 prep fire phase. Allied movement phase next time we play.

Russian kill stacks plus rockets crushed much of the defensive line in and around the CCC8 road junction. Rockets also created shellholes galore to aid the Allied assault. Every Axis unit that has broken has ELR'ed. Lost many a HS, squad plus two 12IFE HT's and a JdgPz to a rocket snake in hex DDD5 that left a burning wreck behind.

A low ammo Zynri in EEE8 and a melee in FFF8 plus a company of reinforcing SS units from offboard are attempting to hold the Southern board edge sector.

PP6 building is under siege as expected and will be difficult to hold with the Allies attacking using mild breeze smoke, shellholes and glider hindrances for cover. On top of the fact that a Russian 458 passed a 2MC and a 3MC and a BVR script BH to a BVR 347 in the process of the assault.....%&*@$%!^#&!.

Northern HQ building still holding tough but a nearby Russian SR and a Russian 16FP kill stack led by a BVR 9-2 leader is causing some consternation in Axis HQ.

Axis forces have many a HIP GUN, AP mines, fortified buildings plus some offboard reserve units to aid the defense. What we really need is RAIN.

Axis losses been heavy. Many have been self inflicted under ammo shortage level FIVE. 82mm GUN MTR in a key hex went low ammo then boxed out. EEE8 Zynri went low ammo on a -2 PB shot. My best on board kill stack in a key overwatch position (J7) started out as SS 9-2/2x658/HMG/MMG. A few bad DR's later and a double three on the RS MG boxcar left me with a SS 548 and a 447 with NO ****ING MG's. I cannot wait to play the Russians....:)

Axis forces are unable to form any new defensive lines anywhere on the battlefield. Only the will to fight and the Hungarian 10-3 can save us now.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Glad to hear a good report. Josh and I will have to give er a go once we wrap up KOTH.

Trezza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The worm has started to turn for the Allied forces. Turns TWO and THREE did not go well for my Axis troop and losses are horrific as we have to stand and fight. Below are some examples of the fighting that went badly for Axis command:

1-Had what I thought was a great defensive line in hexes XX6 (hero and 468/LMG) YY6 (hero and 658/HMG and 8-1) and ZZ5 (hero and 658/MMG). This defense was created by rolling up THREE heroes from constant Russian kill stack shots. Never seen THREE heroes in consecutive hexes before and all in the same building. It all was for naught after the Y11 Russian kill stack got hot in one phase. This kill stack (4 x HMG) led by the ******* 10-3 killed all three heroes, broke or killed every other unit. A snake in the YY6 hex killed them all on a 3KIA.

2-TWO CC SNAKES by the Russians (hexes ZZ5 and PP6) hurt me badly and dm'ed some key positions on the subsequent WD move. One of them was in the trench hex just in front of all the dead hero hexes. I had a 548/PSK and a 37LAA GUN that was holding the line and were all HIP as the Russian horde moved forward through some OG after the killing of my above defensive line. Did some damage coming out of HIP but not enough.

3-A BFF snake from a 76L Russian AFV followed by an ACE burned my JgdPz (small size and in stone) with my 10-2 AL in it in the key VV5 crossroads hex. I had KO'ed an 85L Russian AFV during the turn as Passler thought it might be a dummy AFV as I let many units pass it by.

4-The kicker was in the Northern HQ CC15 building. Russian pre-reg 150mm OBA in said hex was off the mark and rolled a FOUR on the error as it landed perfectly in hex CC16. This exposed all my HIP units on the first and second levels of both BB16 and CC16 (two HS and two full squads) and they all vanished. Was one of my plans to winning the CG as there is no easy access stairwell to the BB16 hex. Instead, all those HIP units are now dead. BB16 rubbled and almost fell on the Hungarian 10-3 kingpin who is now exposed to fire from the Russian front lines. Flames have appeared in CC15 and BB15 which might be the only way the kingpin will die. I have a 75L German AT and a Hungarian 105 ART in each hex plus a Zynri in each hex. Both hexes are also fortified. The Zynri in CC15 was KO'ed by my own 105 Hunagarian ART piece that was under low ammo and captured use penalties after a Russian AFV crew escaped his wreck in hex EE15 and managed to kill my crew in CC.

Almost every unit in the HQ building has broken from the 150mm OBA but the Hungarian 10-3 KINGPIN STANDS TALL as does the 838/FT/DC, 658/HMG and the 105 ART Gun crew he is leading. It will be a crying shame if the kingpin breaks due to flame turning to a blaze. Wonder if I can afford to hamper.

The firefight between my now exposed BB15 Hungarian 10-3 led 20 FP kill stack versus the BB18 Russian kill stack (2x 458, 2 x MMG led by a 9-2 BVR leader) will decide if I can hold onto the HQ building for the win. Assuming we do not burn in the fire.

We played through Allied Turn 4 prep fire phase. Allies still have a lot to accomplish to win it but their chances increased tenfold since Turn 1. The main question for Allied command might be whether to blow the 150mm OBA again in bottom FOUR or to attack and attempt to clear the many a location and badly damaged HQ building.

There are not any places where I can drop back and form a new defensive line. Almost all of my Axis reserves have been committed to the battlefield. RAIN started in Allied Turn 4. Very few Hungarian troops standing on the field. A 226 in FFF7 and a 447/MMG in melee in OO7 is all that remains of the homefront forces.

Victory or defeat just might lie in the number of game turns this last Feb 10 date has to offer. Ammunition LEVEL FIVE is as brutal as it gets. Keeping track of the EIGHTY stone VC locations for victory will be cumbersome.

Last edited:

Trezza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ALLIED FORCES HAVE CAPITULATED.....more to follow....a red card draw on the key 150 Russian OBA falling on HQ and key to the Allied victory march was followed by the surrender flag. Feb 10 (last date) during Axis Turn 4.

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Congrats Gary! A hard-fought and epic campaign. It's very tough on the personal morale to play the axis in this campaign as your troops and sw melt away just by using them. Great AAR.
Paul

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
ALLIED FORCES HAVE CAPITULATED.....more to follow....a red card draw on the key 150 Russian OBA falling on HQ and key to the Allied victory march was followed by the surrender flag. Feb 10 (last date) during Axis Turn 4.
You can't quit now. Push 'em back to the Volga.

JR

Trezza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No chance of that...Allied forces cleared me from all stone locations and would have touched up EIGHTY stone locations per the VC. The HQ building (BB16) is what caused the surrender flag. 150mm OBA red card and not enough forces to clear every location in it won it for Axis command. I will thank the Hungarian 10-3 leader in HQ for holding it.

Eagle02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well done. Your stand in Budapest displayed excellent fortitude and resilience. Glad to see it paid off for you. Jim

Trezza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
By date end I would have had less than a full company in GO. Had about two full SS companies in GO when the Allied surrender flag waved. It was a great challenge commanding the Axis forces. Every mistake we made will be corrected
as we start to playtest FB CG 4.