Europe Aflame: Telumar vs Heldenkaiser (Axis AAR)

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Sent. Btw, thanks to the PORandomSeed feature in 3.4 it's the exact situation i faced upon opening the turn. No Americans, no winter shock.

L`zard

Strangely Deranged!
Reaction score
Pity your not playing under the patch, eh? Would be considerably different, LOL!

:D

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Turn 129

December 14th, 1941

Enemy Activities

At Algiers, The British continue to land forces, among them the Polish Free Division and a Territorial Division brought in from the UK. Their damaged naval forces are exchanged with fresh ones. An attack out of the city gets them in position of the local airfield.

In the USSR all is quiet, some troop shifting and some bridge repairs.

Overview

Two good news: The Vichy government did not surrender and the winter shock has not yet set in. Maybe this is the last chance to ged rid of the British at Algiers, i have come to a decision, see further below.
In the Soviet Union it has been quiet. XXXIX PzKorps has reinforced the Kuban bridgehead.
I decided to rail more Italian units from the east to their motherland in preparation for the projected occupation of Gibraltar, Vichy France / North Africa and Portugal after the winter and before the first mud. I think due to the current developments Dierk won't get suspicious about a western Med build up.

Western Mediterranean

The Battle for Algiers

As written above i came to a decision: To attempt to break the naval blockade of Algiers with the Regia Marina and the Luftwaffe and to take back the city with an amphibious invasion by German XV Inf Korps sitting idle in Genoa. Situation at start of the battle:

The two task forces went in for the Indefatigable, supported by Sardinia Air and the German Ju-87s from Oran which were also tasked with raids against the British destroyers and the Dutch fleet to minimize defensive support fire for the projected amphibious assault. Embarked XV Corps waiting behind. Needless to say that an early turn end would have resulted in a desaster. Note that i attacked the Carrier task force at range 1 to add the firepower of the Italian destroyers - range: 1 - to the battle. Also note that the task was slightly easier than it would have been in the previous turn as Dierk retreated his more powerfull naval units.
Luckily there was no early turn end and after some combat rounds the Indefatigable finally went to the ground, but costly it was. We lost all but a handfull of our Ju 87s, the entire Night Fighters from Sardiinia and numerous Italian aircraft. The Regia Marina got pretty depleted.
The following amphibious assault succeeded and XV Korps did enter the city. Situation at the end of the turn:

I think if Dierk would have stacked his Carrier force with another BB or Destroyer TF this would not have succeeded.

Last edited:

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Before i continue the AAR, there is something with the Vichy surrender that wasn't in the briefing. To make it short: The thing isn't over. The capitulation will happen between turns 131 - 135 with the before mentioned 50% probability as there is a delay of 4 with a turn range of 2 in the event setup. See the screenshot from the Event Editor:

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Turn 130

December 21st, 1941

Enemy Activities

Not much. A desperate attempt by the British to re-enter Algiers fails. The British navy withdraws towards Gibraltar.
Dierk is probably preparing a fall back line or a withdrawal behind the Terek as he's been constantly shifting troops as well as artillery down there. Also there's an artillery unit two hexes behind the river that hasn't moved for two turns:

Overview

A very quiet turn. The winter shock hasn't arrived yet. Again the Luftwaffe destroys Rostov and Voronezh bridges which will be again repaired by Dierk in his turn. :( At least this keeps him from repairing his other bridges...

The only ground action was at Algiers where 164.lcht Div has disembarked while XV Korps attacked out of the city. An early turn end prevented further attacks against the British force. 90.lcht. has arrived from Tunisia (under the Vichy HQ). Situation at Algiers:

Last edited:

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
Before i continue the AAR, there is something with the Vichy surrender that wasn't in the briefing.

You cheeky chappie!

"Some of the start dates for bonuses and penalties for offensives, winters, etc., and the exact turns for surrenders to take effect, or for mud to stop combat, are deliberately randomised over a turn or two so that players can't be certain when they'll start, and for how long they'll last. This is deliberate, and you shouldn't count on anything happening on a particular turn, except that Declarations of War and Offensive Bonuses will always follow the Theatre Option being chosen."

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Before i continue the AAR, there is something with the Vichy surrender that wasn't in the briefing.

You cheeky chappie!
:laugh:.. cheeky chappie. Had to google this.. I'll behave from now on.

"Some of the start dates for bonuses and penalties for offensives, winters, etc., and the exact turns for surrenders to take effect, or for mud to stop combat, are deliberately randomised over a turn or two so that players can't be certain when they'll start, and for how long they'll last. This is deliberate, and you shouldn't count on anything happening on a particular turn, except that Declarations of War and Offensive Bonuses will always follow the Theatre Option being chosen."
Ok ok.. it's in the briefing. It's intended. I see.

It's just that i can't remember every detail from the briefing. I don't know it by heart.:shy:

Anyway, my apologies.

EDIT: This doesn't mean that Uncle Sam could still knock on the door in the coming turns, does it?

Last edited:

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
Yup, eventually the USA will enter the war: apart from the individual actions that you and the Allies carry out, which have a random effect on the US Entry Variable, there is an underlying increase ticking away anyway. From the Briefing: "We’re working on the presumption that the political elites in the USA did not want to see Europe and the Mediterranean dominated by the Third Reich and its satellites."

So the US will enter the war at some point - you've been fairly lucky, given your relative success so far, that it hasn't happened already. They won't have many combat units initially, but the supply and shipping effects are important, and their combat units will build up enough to allow for a major assault on the Continent in 1943-4. And there's the 'Overlord' TO which gives them a massive temporary boost to supply and shipping. But you're a long way from that yet.

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Before i continue the AAR, there is something with the Vichy surrender that wasn't in the briefing. To make it short: The thing isn't over. The capitulation will happen between turns 131 - 135 with the before mentioned 50% probability as there is a delay of 4 with a turn range of 2 in the event setup. See the screenshot from the Event Editor:
I stand corrected as turn range works different than i thought. The Vichy capitualtion can happen on turns 132 or 133. (Algiers having been captured by the Allies on turn 128 and the event has a delay of 4 turns).

From the manual (17.8.3):
Example: An Event scheduled to be triggered on Turn 5, with a
Turn Range of 4 and a chance of activation of 75%. There is a 75%
chance (one-time check) that the Event will occur. If it does occur,
it will actually be activated on Turn 5, 6, 7, or 8.

Last edited:

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Yup, eventually the USA will enter the war: apart from the individual actions that you and the Allies carry out, which have a random effect on the US Entry Variable, there is an underlying increase ticking away anyway. From the Briefing: "We’re working on the presumption that the political elites in the USA did not want to see Europe and the Mediterranean dominated by the Third Reich and its satellites."

So the US will enter the war at some point - you've been fairly lucky, given your relative success so far, that it hasn't happened already. They won't have many combat units initially, but the supply and shipping effects are important, and their combat units will build up enough to allow for a major assault on the Continent in 1943-4. And there's the 'Overlord' TO which gives them a massive temporary boost to supply and shipping. But you're a long way from that yet.
I think the DOW by the Soviet Union decreases the variable, that might explain my luck.

Still, everything Dierk can bring up against me in the West is costing me troops i would rather like to see on the Eastern Front. I can't rely on the Italians alone to fight against the Brits and the 'early Americans'. Which is what still makes me think i am better off with the 'Franco joins the party' option. The Spanish Army isn't bad after all, it's one of the better Axis armies. It could be bigger, but hey.. It's not only about having the Spanish army, it's also about Gibraltar and the entire geographical/transport situation in this region. The additional sea transport capacity is welcome, too, even if it's only temporary (it goes down after some time when the US are in). I think that fortress Europe's southwestern flank is easier to defend with Gib in our hands - also keeps the Allies away from Italy.

If Vichy surrenders and i bring Franco in - will there still appear Admiral Darlan's forces when i chose the TO?

best regards,
the cheeky chappie

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Turn 131

December 28th, 1941

Enemy Activities

Massive Soviet Movement by rail, most of the transported units crossed (repaired) Rostov bridge. In Algeria the British attack the Italian San Marco Regiment, looks like they try to escape further to the west. King George BB group has been spotted on its way to Gibraltar.

Overview

The winter-shock has arrived virtually stopping all, except the most necessary actions. In Turkey we can destroy fresh partisan forces near Ankara. In Algeria the bulk of the enemy forces "surrender" after an attack, among them the Polish Division. The Italian navy has withdrawn to Sicilian and Sardinian ports.
Using the still ongoing battles in Algeria as a 'cover' I've shipped the Italian Celere Corps to Oran in preparation for 'Operation Herkules' - the projected occupation of Vichy, Portugal, Gibraltar with Spain joining the Axis (the "last Blitzkrieg in the West"). In addition to this i moved another Italian Corps from Southern Italy to Genoa. I don't know if Dierk has suspicions about my western build up as the forces that are already there are more than enough for dealing with his (meanwhile) isolated force. Last turn i extracted the two German airborne divisions from the Kuban and brought them to Germany and moved the Italian I. Mot. Corps from Odessa to Northern Italy.

Situation in Algeria after the massive British surrender:

On the Eastern front all remains quiet. I even haven't yet found any suspicious enemy manouevers or troop concentrations that could indicate a Soviet winter offensive. Will he strike at all?
Romanian II Corps has reinforced the Kuban bridgehead. Bridge bombing continues despite the winter shock, though losses have been higher than usual. I yet don't know if i will continue the air campaign for the duration of the winter shock.

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
If Vichy surrenders and i bring Franco in - will there still appear Admiral Darlan's forces when i chose the TO?

'Fraid so: think of it as the disgruntled former Vichy units deserting to the Free French in much larger numbers than they did. However, with the main ports and towns in Axis hands they'll either not appear at all, or at least all be OOS and easy to disperse. None of them are set to reconstitute. I think the formerly Vichy navies will be the most annoying feature for the Axis if you choose that TO. Remember Portugal.

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

'Fraid so: think of it as the disgruntled former Vichy units deserting to the Free French in much larger numbers than they did. However, with the main ports and towns in Axis hands they'll either not appear at all, or at least all be OOS and easy to disperse. None of them are set to reconstitute. I think the formerly Vichy navies will be the most annoying feature for the Axis if you choose that TO. Remember Portugal.
Thanks. As i thought.

Portugal - i know. I have already a rough battle plan. Watch out for the few turns between the end of the winter shock and the beginning of the mud cease fire..

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
In fact looking again at the Briefing, you'd better not wait more than a year if you're planning on using that TO. The theory behind this is that Franco, seeing which way the wind is blowing, and heavily dependent on US economic assistance after the ravages of the Spanish Civil War, cooled towards the idea of throwing in his lot with Hitler once America entered the war:

"After the Fall of France a Theatre Option becomes available for Germany to activate Spain as a full ally at the expense of Vichy France (Franco demanded the French North African territories and tons of equipment and raw materials, but Hitler decided to stick with Marshal Petain). Doing so will mean the collapse of Vichy France, and significant French ‘Admiral Darlan’ forces, including French naval and air units, will rejoin the Allies. This Option may disappear (75% chance) one year after the US enters the war."

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
and significant French ‘Admiral Darlan’ forces, including French naval and air units, will rejoin the Allies.
Let me guess - these naval units will appear even though Dierk, respectively the RAF, sunk the Vichy navy.. oh well :OHNO:

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Turn 136

February 1st, 1942

The winter shock is over now, surprisingly early, but good for us :smoke:

The last few turns have been rather eventless, except that Dierk has begun an own bridge bombing campaign that mainly affected Poland and the Balkans. On the eastern front all combat had ceased - the anticipated Soviet offensive did not materialize. Meanwhile, in the Med, we were clearing the last British resistance in Algeria and continued preparations for Operation Herkules (more later). During turn 135 the British lost one of their DD groups in the Med to air raids by the Italian and German airforces and another RN TF got so damaged that Dierk withdrew it from the Med.

Reinforcements

III SS Korps (actually some turns ago - earmarked for 'Herkules')
VII Luftwaffe Feld Korps

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Overview

There are still at least 7 turns until the spring mud which will come the earliest on turn 142. During this short period i plan, besides 'Herkules', to renew pressure on the southern part of the Eastern Front, namely:

- around Melitopol where i hope to seize this rail hub to enhance the supply flow to the Krim and the Kuban and possibly press/drive some Soviet units towards the Azov Sea in a Kessel.
- Maikop certainly. It's near the front, but i don't expect too much. Mostly a probing action to test Soviet strength.
- At Grozny. A drive from Grozny towards the Kaspian Sea can in the best case cut off the southern part of the Soviet Caucasus front or, more realistically, force a Soviet withdrawal behind the Terek where the enemy supposedly prepared a fall back line anyway.

Sad but true, an early end after the first combat prevents most attacks except in the Kuban bridgehead and around Melitopol where a probing attack by two Romanian Corps is repulsed by well fortified Soviets. The early end also leaves an Italian Naval TF dangerously exposed to treatment by the RAF and RN operating from Gibraltar. :argh:

Kuban

We pushed back several weak Soviet units on the Maikop part of the front and advanced to something like a main line of resistance, which however is being held by relative weak enemy units on its northern end. Reinforcements, among them a very strong SS Panzer Korps, will enter the bridgehead over the next turns (remember the limit of 1 Korps per turn).

Western Mediterranean

Operation Herkules

I activated the theater option "Activate Spain" this turn. This will activate all Spanish units, Portugal will join the Allies and the Vichy state will be dissolved with pro-Allied Admiral Darlan forces, including air and naval units, appearing in Vichy territories. And yes, there is a 75% chance that the US entry variable will increase by 20 points. The strategic objective is to shorten the coast line to be defended in the West against any possible US/British invasion. Currently the Allies can freely enter the Med via Gibraltar where there are numerous possible invasion sites, worse is the fact that most of these places are/were defended by the Vichy "army". And if not by them, then by the Italians. The activation of Spain (with the occupation of Gibraltar) will reduce the number of port hexes to be defended significantly. It will also increase our sea transport which will make it easier to reinforce such remote places like Marocco.
We have 6 turns until the mud cease fire sets in (earliest turn: 142). This will be enough to subdue Admiral Darlan's forces and knock out Portugal. And hopefully enough to crack fortress Gibraltar. I'm willing to accept heavy losses for seizing Gibraltar.
Also i have no clue where which Admiral Darlan forces will appear, therefore i prepared plans for every french colony (except Senegal) and shifted troops accordingly.

The rough battle plan (screenshots are mostly from turn 135, situation/location of own forces may have changed) - French Colonies first:

Syria

Nothing very elaborate.. two Italian Mountain Corps will enter from the north, German Pioniere from the south.

Marocco

German Fallschirmjäger will land near Casablanca (Allied supply point), possibly take the city immediately. Italian Celere Corps will enter from the east along the only road. The Spanish Foreign Legion will enter Tangiers and possibly recon towards Casablanca (split up). Important is the quick seizure of Casablanca to prevent possible Allied reinforcements.

Tunisia

Screenshot is from current turn. 90.lcht.Div will advance on Tunis, 164.lcht.Div will split up and recon towards Bizerte and Phillipeville and Constantine, Italian XXII Corps will enter from the South and recon along the coastal road towards Sfax.

France

Italians in the south, Germans in the north and west. Italian motorized troops will advance along the coast towards Marseille. An amphibious invasion by Italian IV Corps will secure the Perpignian region. SS Charlemagne :laugh: will occupy Vichy while Italian troops will advance into the Rhone valley from the Alpes. German troops will secure the Atlantic coast near the Spanish border. Not on the screenshot is Corsica which will be visited by German 1. Marine Regt.

Spain, Portugal and Gibraltar

In the north, two Spanish Corps will march on Porto and possibly take the port on turn two of the operation. Further south a Spanish motorized Division will move to the Talavera region to secure the area for the German reinforcements that will arrive here. These will consist of at least one Panzer Korps to strike across the plains towards Lisbon on turn 2 of the operation. The Spanish motorized Division will probe along the main road towards Lisbon. Spanish II Corps will split up and recon along the coastal road as well as securing the Badajoz area. East of Cordoba there is second assembly area for German reinforcements. These will attack Gibraltar.
The Kriegsmarine and the Italian Navy will put up a naval blockade against Gibraltar to a) prevent the fortress to be reinforced from Britan which will be the Kriegsmarine's task and b) to lean Fire support for land troops - this will be mainly the Italian Navy's task. For the Kriegsmarine this will be a high risk operation, i expect the RN to attempt to break the blockade. Therefore we will bring in several Stuka Geschwader the very next turn. This turn, the Bismarck Group and one other task force already left harbour and have entered waters off Portugal. We can only pray the RN's recon will fail...

German units immediately available for Spain (meaning no more on the eastern front and within 1 turn rail transport range):

In France:
- PzKorps 'Loki'
- XXXX. PzKorps
- XXVI. Inf.-Korps
- 309. Art.-Div

In Germany:
- III. SS Korps (mot)

In Italy:
- V. SS Gebirgs-Korps

Reserves (France):

VII LW Feld Korps
SS Div. 'Charlemagne' (possibly)

Additionally the rail lines in France are secured by 2nd Pioniere.

medck

Reaction score
Turn 136
The strategic objective is to shorten the coast line to be defended in the West against any possible US/British invasion. Currently the Allies can freely enter the Med via Gibraltar where there are numerous possible invasion sites, worse is the fact that most of these places are/were defended by the Vichy "army". And if not by them, then by the Italians. The activation of Spain (with the occupation of Gibraltar) will reduce the number of port hexes to be defended significantly.
You add 9 ports in Spain and conquered Portugal to the list of palces to defend; they are on mainland Europe, but pretty far from the main theater, so an Allied landing could occur anywhere from Cadiz/Malaga all the way up to Calais. That's quite an Atlantic Wall to defend. And it leaves you open to, say, a landing at Cadiz and a beachhead around Gibralta/Malaga sucking up a lot of your troops and then a landing at. say, Bilbao driving between the Ebro and Pyrennes to Barcelona making all of Spain a giant pocket.

Offsetting that, I expect that taking Gibraltar and closing the staits would make the Med an isolate Axis lake and would free up troops from within the Mediterranean basin. How, BTW, is the campaign in Iraq going?