Europe Aflame: Telumar vs Heldenkaiser (Axis AAR)

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Now for the northern part of the Ostfront. This sector hasn't seen much action lately. Especially the East Prussian front has been quiet since the beginning of the "War in the East". You can see the reserves i put out of the front for a possible soviet Winteroffensive. Two Motorized Corps near Brest-Litovsk, a Panzer-Korps in Warsaw. Infantry and Panzer-Korps on the Pripjiet road.
Also note the Ostwall / East Wall at the Vistula river and destroyed bridges at Kovno, Vilna, Riga and Mogilev.

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
And the southern part of the Eastern Front.

Hungarians and Romanians have just begun deploying behind the Dnjepr. I have concentrated most of the Luftwaffe and Axis Allied airforces (off screen, in Romania) here.

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Azov Sea, Krim and Kuban. Note the state of the Soviet railnet around Rostov and concentration of Axis airforces in this region.

Again: Right Click -> Display/Show picture (dont know the exact wording in an english Windows/Browser but i think you'll get it..)

I won't show the Caucasus as you can see this front in last turn's AAR post.

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Finally Iraq. A lot of Italians here, but i'd rather be on the safe side here. And the Italians won't last long in the Eastern Front's murderous fighting anyway, sitting it out in well fortified positions might be more appealing to them ;)

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Turn 126

November 23rd, 1941

Enemy Activities

Dierk has managed to repair Rostov bridge which enabled him to bring in more reinforcements to the Kuban. Two Corps sized units, at least one of them being a Tank Corps have been spotted at Maikop. He also kind of sealed off the breakthrough by getting one of these dreaded Mech Corps into Krasnodar:

He seems to be up to something in the western Med. Part of the Royal Navy (at least the Med Fleet, King George & the Dutch fleet (!) ) and some RAF units have been spotted heading towards Gibraltar. Maybe in preparation for and in support of a possible American entry?

Reinforcements

The capture of Baku brought us additional units, too. I didn't know that until i've read it again in the briefing. Well, fine! It's a SS PzKorps, a motorized Flak Division and the Turkestani Legion (Corps sized). The PzKorps and the Flak Div will move to the Kuban. The Turkestani Legion appeared at Baku and will dig in south of Derbent behind the front to serve as a fall back position should Dierk attack here in the winter.

Overview

Winter is approaching with another cold front. The capture of Baku has given us a supply boost of 4 while the Soviets lose 4 supply points and additionally a huge amount of equipment (all kinds of tanks and tank destroyers) has been dumped into the pools which begins to fill mainly our Panzer- and Motorized Korps.

The only hotspots are still the Kuban and the Caucasian front. Everwhere else we're on the defence. Romanians and Hungarians finally have taken their positions behind the Dnjepr. Winter will arrive between turns 128 and 132 with an 80% shock for the Axis and will end between turns 135 - 138. Might be some rough turns. I might add that at an average most units are down to 50% in Infantry strength. :shy:

The West

Well.. i hope it will be the first and last appearence of a western situation report for quite some time .. :devious: Not much to report anyway. In response to the latest Royal Navy activity i brought the Regia Marina II task force back into the Med. Which will be no deal for the CW Med Fleet and King George BB task force, but for a recon mission into the western Med they will do. Additionally the 164.lcht Division will be brought from the Caucasus to Italy the next turn. We then will have the following available to react to any US/British "adventures":

- 90.lcht Div & It. XXII Corps at Tripolis
- 164.lcht Div, XV Inf Korps, It. "Celere" Corps, It. XIV Corps in Italian ports (these can leave Italy without stripping it completely from defence)
- Regia Marina II task force
- 3 Italian Fighter and 1 Bomber unit plus 4 German Fighter units in France
- PzKorps "Loki" near Metz (which could be send to Spain or Italy within one turn)

In the worst case some units could be send by rail from Russia to Spain and/or Italy, but the journey to Spain would take two turns. Therefore PzKorps Loki near Metz..

The weakest spot in the west is Vichy held Marocco and Northen Africa. There even is a 50% chance for a Vichy surrender if Algiers falls. I expect the Vichy french falling apart on first sight of the enemy. This area will also be the most difficult to reinforce. I even don't know if i'm allowed to enter Vichy territory even when they are attacked. Will ask Mark or re-read the briefing.
There is also a 50% chance for an Italian surrender if both, Tripoli and Messina fall. I doubt that he could achieve this currently though.

Kuban

LII Inf Corps has crossed the Kerch straits this turn. The Luftwaffe has opened an airfield in Novorossisk. We continue our offensive and enter Krasnodar, pushing back the freshly arrived enemy Mech Corps thus achieveing another breakthrough. LXI Inf Corps is only 50 km from Maikop now! However there are two fresh Soviet Corps ready to enter the battle - it won't be easy..

Caucasus

The unexpected has happened..more bad news for Dierk. We enter Grozny! Upon realizing that the Soviet artillery wouldn't support the city defenders - it's one hex too far north - I thought i'd try one more artillery bombardment to see if i can un-entrench some of the defenders, and here we are:

Last edited:

L`zard

Strangely Deranged!
Reaction score
"Vichy France
This starts as an inactive Axis nation. Axis units may pass freely through it, but the separate formations (Syria, North Africa and mainland France) will only activate - individually - if Allied units move adjacent to them. From then on they may be used as Axis units in every way. There is one mobile HQ unit in North Africa to link up the various Vichy units for supply purposes."

:smoke:

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
"Vichy France
This starts as an inactive Axis nation. Axis units may pass freely through it, but the separate formations (Syria, North Africa and mainland France) will only activate - individually - if Allied units move adjacent to them. From then on they may be used as Axis units in every way. There is one mobile HQ unit in North Africa to link up the various Vichy units for supply purposes."

:smoke:
Thanks. So this would mean i could occupy the four Vichy ports Casablanca, Oran, Tunis and Algiers with Italian and German units? Oran probably not as there will be no Allied supply point.

Wouldn't that be sort of gamey/ahistorical, don't know..?

Apart from that i can enter Vichy terrain should the Allies land there. Good to hear..:cool:

EDIT: It occurs to me that, if i'm lucky and the US doesn't enter on turn 128 i am best off with a Blitzkrieg in the West at the soonest opportunity. That is to activate Spain, subdue Portugal, occupy Vichy held North Africa and take away Gibraltar. With enough force this could be done very quickly before the '42 campaign in the east rolls off. It must be done very very quickly.

Last edited:

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
Axis units may pass freely through it

The intention was to allow other Axis units to pass through Vichy territory en route to another front - say Spain, or Iraq or wherever. It's not 'passing through' to permanently occupy it with non-Vichy Axis troops to forestall an Allied landing. That should only happen once an Allied unit lands in/assaults/bombards Vichy territory or units. After that all bets are off.

L`zard

Strangely Deranged!
Reaction score
Kinda thought that would be it with the 'inactive' part......but it does give you a chance to race right in, Stefan!

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
And, now that I think about it more deeply, it ought to be on a Vichy formation-by-formation basis, i.e. the restriction is lifted separately for Allied attacks on Vichy Levant, North Africa and Metropolitan France itself. Even after Commonwealth and Free French forces had attacked and occupied Vichy Syria in 1941, the Vichy government still refused to allow German or Italian ground forces to occupy North Africa or mainland France to defend against further Allied landings, which duly arrived in 1942.

There probably ought to be an Axis TO 'Occupy Vichy France?' - separately from the 'Give Franco Vichy North Africa' TO - but having the same effects, i.e. Vichy forces disappear and are replaced by the pro-Allied 'Admiral Darlan' units. That would allow the Italians and German DAK units to attack Vichy North Africa to forestall and Allied invasion, but still leave Spain as a neutral.

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
And, now that I think about it more deeply, it ought to be on a Vichy formation-by-formation basis, i.e. the restriction is lifted separately for Allied attacks on Vichy Levant, North Africa and Metropolitan France itself. Even after Commonwealth and Free French forces had attacked and occupied Vichy Syria in 1941, the Vichy government still refused to allow German or Italian ground forces to occupy North Africa or mainland France to defend against further Allied landings, which duly arrived in 1942.
Yes, such were things in Syria. But as for North Africa, the Germans did only enter Tunisia, i believe logistics being the main reason for this. And total unprepardness.

There probably ought to be an Axis TO 'Occupy Vichy France?' - separately from the 'Give Franco Vichy North Africa' TO - but having the same effects, i.e. Vichy forces disappear and are replaced by the pro-Allied 'Admiral Darlan' units. That would allow the Italians and German DAK units to attack Vichy North Africa to forestall and Allied invasion, but still leave Spain as a neutral.
Agree. But, who is currently working on the scenario since Veers disappeared? Are you again at it, Mark?

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
Nope, just peering miserably at the various problems that keep popping up (see Lou's recent message re Belgium). Ha!

As I've said many a time, there's some scope for various minor corrections, and perhaps the odd mad unit that survives from earlier versions (Panthers in 1942 anybody?) could be put to sleep but, to do the thing justice, it probably needs a really thorough makeover, with a complete revision of the OOB and a line-by-line rewrite of the Events. I genuinely don't have the time for such a titanic undertaking. And is it worth it for one scenario? TOAW's been a magnificent system but, even with the recent updates, it's hardly a growth area. You must have noticed - here and at Matrix - that it's the usual suspects who still post. I haven't found anything else with the same flexibility for designers, but there must be a lot of new games out there with good scenario editors?

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Nope, just peering miserably at the various problems that keep popping up (see Lou's recent message re Belgium). Ha!

As I've said many a time, there's some scope for various minor corrections, and perhaps the odd mad unit that survives from earlier versions (Panthers in 1942 anybody?) could be put to sleep but, to do the thing justice, it probably needs a really thorough makeover, with a complete revision of the OOB and a line-by-line rewrite of the Events. I genuinely don't have the time for such a titanic undertaking. And is it worth it for one scenario? TOAW's been a magnificent system but, even with the recent updates, it's hardly a growth area. You must have noticed - here and at Matrix - that it's the usual suspects who still post. I haven't found anything else with the same flexibility for designers, but there must be a lot of new games out there with good scenario editors?
I see, pity. What i observed is that most determined works need years to get completed/finished. See Snefens Leningrad scenario or Mark Dabs's Third Reich. Or my Anzio. I started working on it in late 2007 (sic!). The interest in TOAW has declined since then. Now that we see some of the most determined and interesting scenarios. D21 wasn't born in a fortnight nor any of the bigger McBride scenarios back in the ACOW days. Well, they shouldn't/couldn't but.. years?!
So i think, what a TOAW IV above all would need is a better, less cumbersome, more user-friendly editor. I especially found map making to be very time consuming.

(Panthers in 1942 anybody?)
Here! :violin:

All kinds of stuff: Tigers, Tiger IIs, Panthers, Hetzers.. most due to the Baku/Grozny disbands. And a SS Panzerkorps that rather belongs into 44 than into late 41..
I believe i'm currently even fielding more T-34/85 (sic! - /85 !) than the Red Army (!!!)

I've also seen IS-II and some other stuff in some of Dierk's units in the combat report..

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Btw, turn 127 is done and sent to Dierk. I'm waiting with the AAR until he has done his for turn 126.

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Turn 127

November 30th, 1941

Enemy Activities

Recon now can confirm that the British are assembling an invasion force in Gibraltar. Wether they will strike with or without the Americans and what their target will be remains to be seen. Unfortunately i cannot reinforce North African Vichy ports unless Vichy territory is actually invaded.

Soviet engineers again manage to re-establish rail communications into the Kuban, which enables a massive build up near Maikop: Artillery, one more Rifle(?) Corps, a Front(?) HQ, a NKVD division and other minor units.

Reinforcements

We receive V. SS Mountain Korps, the Caucasian Legion and an AT Brigade. I think this is due to the fall of Grozny.

Overview

Preparations for the Winter continue. The eastern front is rather quiet except for the usual bridge bombing. Due to recent Soviet activity in Finland I am beginning to reinforce the Murmansk region with one additional Division which will take at least three turns (complicated exchange manouever with one division shipped from Denmark to Oslo from where another division is railed to Bergen while the division previously garrisoning Bergen moves towards Narvik..).

Kuban

The race for Maikop is over with the Soviets as the winner.. Due to the recent enemy buildup and with Winter approaching we go over to the defense and withdraw the exposed LXI Korps from Maikop. Freshly arrived XXIV PzKorps takes position at the Kuban right behind XIV PzKorps in Krasnodar. Situation at the end of the turn:

Caucasus

This is the only theater that has seen some offensive action. I tried to exploit the current Soviet weakness east of Grozny - depleted Soviet units, not well entrenched - but couldn't make any headway.

Western Mediterranean

Regia Marina II task force arrives at Malta to add its firepower to the defence against a possible invasion. Regia Marina I is following behind. I don't dare to head into the Western Med with the Italian navy except for recon missions which can begin only next turn due to lacking MPs. 164th lcht.Div is still in Greece due to lacking sea transport (remember i shipped a unit to Norway).

L`zard

Strangely Deranged!
Reaction score
Hmmm, the force at Gibralter doesn't look that threating to me, unless they're all brand new and really healthy!

Methinx I'd be looking for the Americans.........:bite:

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Turn 128

December 7th, 1941

Enemy Activities

Algiers it is!! I should have known. The only reasonable objective (as Malta may be too heavily defended). Smart move by Dierk, he might kick out Vichy with a 50% chance for surrender upon losing that city. This right before the winter shock sets in which makes it harder to fight the invasion. Screenshot is after Italian navy's recon mission - a counter-invasion in our turn is not possible; the Italian Navy & Airforce never would have been able to clear one of the sea hexes.

A lot of enemy rail movement into the Caucasus/Kuban region. Especially artillery. Will Dierk strike here?

Overview

The winter shock has not yet set in. Also no indication of a US entry - at least not in the news. Will we be lucky?
All quiet on the eastern front. We destroy again Rostov and Astrakhan bridges which the Soviets had again repaired during their turn. Partisans in Turkey.

Western Mediterranean

As mentioned above a direct counter-invasion of Algiers is not possible, also the retreated garrison of Algiers is in reorg, but i doubt that they could have taken back Algiers, even against the lone British brigade that made it into the city. With noone else available to reach and attack the city Vichy has a 50% chance of surrender. :mad:
If so, someone will have to garrison all those southern french harbours, Tunisia and North Africa. Maybe Mussolini will be the only one being happy about this... expansion of his 'empire' - who else should i send? I need the Germans in the east. I could send a Corps or two, but not more. If the winter shock wouldn't be 'ante portas' i would activate Spain (thus activating Portugal as an active Allied nation), but i don't want to get into trouble in Portugal (which i surely would with 80% shock) plus increase the US entry variable upon inviting Franco to the party in addition to the troubles already in North Africa. However, now that it looks like the US won't yet enter i'm pretty sure i will activate Spain after the winter.

Back to the current situation and countermeasures. 90.lcht.Div has left Tripolis and entered Tunisia to head for Algiers. It. San Marco Regt has landed in Oran, not to actually fight the British, but for recon missions in coming turns. Further landings (1 Corps per turn, either a fully equipped Italian or a half strength German, more is not possible with the current sea transport) will be made at Tunis, Oran is unimportant as it contains no Allied supply point and French Marocco is out of reach.. The German night fighters have been brought from the Dnjepr to Sardinia. This is the only fighter unit which has an appropriate range to cover bomber raids against the British shipping. These raids, conducted by It. Sardinia Air and flown in Ju-87s which operate from Oran, are successfull in decimating the still embarked bulk of the invasion force and hopefully scare Dierk enough to withdraw his navy (they took heavy losses). Though a withdrawal of his navy would allow for a counter-invasion.. leaving his nayv where it is would mean its certain destruction. Well, almost.. Gibraltar air force could strike at the JU-87s at Oran, but i don't know how strong the Gib airforce is. Or will he bring in another carrier? Some may ask why did i chose Oran for the JU 87s which is beyond fighter cover. The answer is: because airfields are hard to come by in North Africa.. Oran was the only one from which the planes could reach Algiers apart from the Algiers airfield which however is too close to the enemy - see the overview. Oh, .. in the case of a Vichy surrender and if Dierk thinks things are getting too hot at Algiers he still could use Casablanca, which has an Allied supply point, as a basis for a build up to open a 'real' North African front. With Gibraltar in Allied hands it would take at least three turns for an Axis unit to reach Casablanca. If Oran is still in our hands*. Still i could activate Spain - which would open another can of worms.

*Now that it's too late it occurs to me that i should rather have reinforced Oran than Tunisia this turn.. oh well..:OHNO:

I forgot to mention that the dutch(!) navy is reckoning the southern french coast.

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hmmm, the force at Gibralter doesn't look that threating to me, unless they're all brand new and really healthy!

Methinx I'd be looking for the Americans.........:bite:
No Americans so far.. But "Gib Force" is causing enough trouble. Nothing too threatening, but forcing me to make units available that i rather would like to see in action in the east.

EDIT: I am pretty sure they are (were..:devious:) healthy, rested and fresh. The Brits haven't seen much action since their defeat in the Middle East.
D#+$%! Vichy troops are so bad it's bordering on sabotage.. :blab:

Last edited:

L`zard

Strangely Deranged!
Reaction score
Send me the .sal, eh? Wish to look...........

Preferably one with movement points, LOL!

:stirthepot: