Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
From Peter on CSW 3/24 1528

This new Fourth Edition (DB4) expands on the Third (which itself included The Last Hurrah and eight other scenarios when it was released in 2009) with the addition of eight more out-of-print Allied Minor scenarios previously published elsewhere by Avalon Hill and MMP.

Existing errata for all 32 scenarios have been incorporated, and some of the scenarios have been updated to correct issues of balance. This edition also showcases a complete revamp of the artwork for all Allied Minor units, vehicles, and weapons on four countersheets, including the addition of new MMC types for the Poles.

DB4 also comes with the new rules for late-war SS, Polish MMC, Rail Cars, and Debris (originally issued in Twilight of the Reich), an updated National Capabilities Chart (complete with all those MMC types), and an updated Chapter B Terrain Chart, including new entries for the new terrain.

Get all the information, and place your preorder on the Doomed Battalions preorder page.

Last edited:

Hutch

Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
5 mapboards
4 countersheets
32 scenarios
3 sheets overlays
20 pages of replacement rules
plus charts… I would say 3” box.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Noticeably the Rotterdam HASL is not included. There was some speculation it might.

Last edited:

Hutch

Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Scenario List (32 not Sweet 16) :)

• 43 Into the Fray• 137 Italian Brothers
• 44 The Gauntlet• 138 Rattle of Sabers
• 45 Revenge at Kastelli• 139 The Weigh In
• 46 Birds of Prey• 140 Round Two
• 47 Rude Awakening• 141 Action at Balberkamp
• 48 Toujours L’Audace• 142 On the Road to Andalsnes
• 49 Piercing the Peel• 143 Grebbe End
• 50 Age-old Foes• 144 The Professionals
• 83 An Uncommon Occurrence• 307 Maczek Fire Brigade
• 84 Round One• 308 Riding the Coattails
• 85 No Way Out• 309 Will to Fight…Eradicated
• 86 Fighting Back• 310 A Polish Requiem
• 87 Good Night, Sweet Prince• 311 Vogt’s Ritterkreuz
• 88 Art Nouveau• 312 Sting ‘em at Zingem
• 89 Rescue Attempt• 313 Airborne Samurai
• 90 Pride and Joy• 314 Defeat in Java

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Scenario List (32 not Sweet 16) :)

• 43 Into the Fray• 137 Italian Brothers
• 44 The Gauntlet• 138 Rattle of Sabers
• 45 Revenge at Kastelli• 139 The Weigh In
• 46 Birds of Prey• 140 Round Two
• 47 Rude Awakening• 141 Action at Balberkamp
• 48 Toujours L’Audace• 142 On the Road to Andalsnes
• 49 Piercing the Peel• 143 Grebbe End
• 50 Age-old Foes• 144 The Professionals
• 83 An Uncommon Occurrence• 307 Maczek Fire Brigade
• 84 Round One• 308 Riding the Coattails
• 85 No Way Out• 309 Will to Fight…Eradicated
• 86 Fighting Back• 310 A Polish Requiem
• 87 Good Night, Sweet Prince• 311 Vogt’s Ritterkreuz
• 88 Art Nouveau• 312 Sting ‘em at Zingem
• 89 Rescue Attempt• 313 Airborne Samurai
• 90 Pride and Joy• 314 Defeat in Java
Incredibly neat. Takes skill I don't have.

Hutch

Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Can't take credit, just a copy and paste from the MMP site. ;)

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wonder if the nationality chart will/could be made available separately?
While I am all in on getting this as I need the new counters with the bigger fonts and my maps are looking old as their first edition art ages a bit, this is my last repurchase of a core module and I hope MMP considers making smaller 'add-on' or 'update' packs on any further efforts like this. Make an upgrade pack with the rules and new counters for those who already have copies of the core module. For this one, perhaps an upgrade pack like:

1. Updated rules sheet
  2. Sheets for any new counters
  3. Updated/fixed/balanced scenarios
  4. Updated nationality chart
Creative types might find a way to put that into a Journal or "Winter Offensive" type pack as well.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have gotten my pre-order in. Updated scenarios to expand the core list, new Nationalities Chart and replacement pages.
Those alone is worth getting.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
While I am all in on getting this as I need the new counters with the bigger fonts and my maps are looking old as their first edition art ages a bit, this is my last repurchase of a core module and I hope MMP considers making smaller 'add-on' or 'update' packs on any further efforts like this. Make an upgrade pack with the rules and new counters for those who already have copies of the core module. For this one, perhaps an upgrade pack like:

1. Updated rules sheet
  2. Sheets for any new counters
  3. Updated/fixed/balanced scenarios
  4. Updated nationality chart
Creative types might find a way to put that into a Journal or "Winter Offensive" type pack as well.
I am thinking along the same lines.

When the "replacement of original counters" within my kit is done, which is not far off, I will stand down.

Albeit being aware of inflation etc. my feeling is that the price for "Twilight of the Reich" and "Doomed Battalions 4th" is quite hefty even without added cost for getting the stuff over here to Europe.

von Marwitz

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am thinking along the same lines.

When the "replacement of original counters" within my kit is done, which is not far off, I will stand down.

Albeit being aware of inflation etc. my feeling is that the price for "Twilight of the Reich" and "Doomed Battalions 4th" is quite hefty even without added cost for getting the stuff over here to Europe.

von Marwitz
I agree...never mind Europe...It is costing me over $53 USD to get it to Ottawa. MMP says their only shipping option to me is USPS International Priority. I don't need it is two days, just to he delivered safely. When I stop buying from MMP, it won't be because of the module prices...but it will be the outrageous shipping costs. Would it not be possible to start offering optional zip lock modules for overseas customers to lower shipping size and cost?

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I agree...never mind Europe...It is costing me over $53 USD to get it to Ottawa. MMP says their only shipping option to me is USPS International Priority. I don't need it is two days, just to he delivered safely. When I stop buying from MMP, it won't be because of the module prices...but it will be the outrageous shipping costs. Would it not be possible to start offering optional zip lock modules for overseas customers to lower shipping size and cost?
I'm in the UK - I buy from one particular outlet who, I assume, add a surcharge to what I pay to cover their shipping ( still comes out to the US price I think )....

Are you saying there are no such outlets in Canada ? Or is it that shipping over the border just gets charged extortionate prices full stop..?