Counters white out when under other counters

jwoodall04

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is there a way to correct this right now or should I revert to an earlier version? Using VASL 6.4.0.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Is there a way to correct this right now or should I revert to an earlier version? Using VASL 6.4.0.
Revert to 6.3.3 There are LOS string issues to 6.4 as well. I'm waiting for the next release.

jwoodall04

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks. Bit strange that they would even provide it for download.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Dude .. this is FEATURE, not a BUG. I posted a blurb about it before. Apparently folks were complaining about being to ascertain info from counters on the lower levels of Concealed stacks - so this is solution.

jwoodall04

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is a poorly implemented feature. It whites out level counters, vehicle under motion, etc... furthermore, why would you white them out rather than have them just wipe the graphic and keep the appropriate nationality color? It is a graphical mess.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
why would you white them out rather than have them just wipe the graphic and keep the appropriate nationality color? It is a graphical mess.
Because figuring out what is counter art and what isn't is pretty tough given the way the counters are constructed. So the code was reverted to the 6.2.2 way of displaying stacks until such time that someone can code a better alternative.

jwoodall04

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Because figuring out what is counter art and what isn't is pretty tough given the way the counters are constructed. So the code was reverted to the 6.2.2 way of displaying stacks until such time that someone can code a better alternative.
In that case, just don't do it at all because it doesn't work. This isn't a real issue. This 'fix' is chasing a very small minority and impacting usability. Though I doubt most users will update in any quick fashion, so you probably won't hear from them anyway.

I appreciate the effort, but will be reverting back to 6.3.3.

Binko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I REALLY hate the look of a bunch of white counters under a top colored counter. For me at least, it makes the game board look like crap.

And I don't even really understand what problem people are seeing. When I look at a concealed stack of my opponents every counter shows as a concealment counter with '7 morale' on the bottom.

So I assume people are stressing out about the bottom counters that are unconcealed but out of LOS. These would be the same counters that will be clearly revealed when any player waves a mouse over them. And the solution is to white out all the lower counters?

If this change is forced in new versions then I won't upgrade. Once everybody else has moved on I'll just stop using VASL entirely.

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If this is forced on the player in the new version then I won't upgrade. Once everybody else has moved on I'll just stop using VASL entirely.
As the problem is extremely crucial for you and threatens your practice of VASL at a point that you are ready to stop using it alltogether, you should stop immedialey.
You ordeal is indeed unsurpassable and your suffering unbearable.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I REALLY hate the look of a bunch of white counters under a top colored counter. For me at least, it makes the game board look like crap.

If this change is forced in new versions then I won't upgrade. Once everybody else has moved on I'll just stop using VASL entirely.
While I also do not like the appearance, I can live with it. One can easily see the full stack by expanding it, or hovering the pointer over it.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
FWIW, this is exactly the same as VASL 6.2.x and prior versions displayed stacks. (edit) As well as how your physical counter stacks appear, for the most part. (/edit)

Any Java graphics pros out there wanna take a stab at a solution that everyone likes?

Binko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As the problem is extremely crucial for you and threatens your practice of VASL at a point that you are ready to stop using it alltogether, you should stop immedialey.
You ordeal is indeed unsurpassable and your suffering unbearable.
Thank you for reminding me why I virtually never post here any longer and rarely visit.

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am with Michael. I don't care for it but it is an issue I can live with. The whiteout to me to be a solution in search of a problem. I know that in 6.3.3 you could see the underlines of the morale, firepower and range in stacks but so what. However you could not see them if they were concealed. Now, with the white out you cannot see the underlines for the counters underneath but you can still mouse over the stack and see the stack. However, now it is more difficult to ascertain the alignment of forces at a glance. So the single issue that I can think of caused by seeing the underlines is not really resolved but it introduced another issue altogether.

To the counter smiths, map elves and codies my undying appreciation to the work you have done. This is in no way a criticism of your efforts, just an observation.

Mike

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
However, now it is more difficult to ascertain the alignment of forces at a glance.
Can you explain a little more? We can use this image from the Facebook group as a starting point. I assume you meant you can't easily tell which stacks were Germans and which are Russians.

Unknown.jpeg

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Worth noting that the building levels showing with images is a separate but slightly related issue with moveable and non-moveable 5/8in counters in a stack, before anyone brings that up. :)

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What I mean by alignment of forces is that just looking at the screen after some information counters, or in this case the fortification counters, have been placed it is difficult to tell what side certain stacks belong too. For instance, is the unit in V5 a Russian or German unit? Is the DM stack in CC5 Russian or German? This becomes an issue for me when returning to a game that has been saved or a log file after a lengthy break (where's my log Ken?). In a scenario with a high piece density it can be a problem. Smaller scenarios, not so much. It is less of a problem with lower density scenarios or when playing a second consecutive turn in one session as I am more familiar with what is going on. Admittedly this is a minor inconvenience not a major issue. Aesthetically, I also preferred the country colors for my stacked counters not the white counters. Naturally, others may prefer the white. Look at the two pics below and tell me what stack has the wreck and a German squad and which has a AFV and a squad. Sorry I didn't get the resolution equal. This was just a quick example I put together. I realize that the wreck does align a bit differently and that would be helpful but not as obvious as the color difference. Particularly with high counter density. The left pic is 6.4 the right 6.3.

Version4cropped.png Version3cropped.png

Binko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From my point of view this change makes the gameboard look unpleasant and also makes it harder to see essential information at a glance.

But apparently there are some who feel that it is necessary in order to prevent the minute possibility that somebody will see some info on the bottom counters of an unconcealed stack, info that can still be seen by merely mousing over the stack.

So here's an easy solution. Make the stack display an option that is set in preferences.

This should be an easy fix since obviously the code for displaying stacks both ways already exists.