Concealed guys in bocage & wall advantage

ASL Maineiac

Reaction score
I'm setting up Second Crack at Caumont as the attacking Americans. The Germans all set up concealed. Question:

There's no way I can know if the concealed units have WA, correct? Because WA status is claimed/rejected when the squads drop concealment... Do I have that right?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
No, you can't claim WA when dropping concealment.

If there is no +1 (or higher) TEM in the hex, those Germans will have Mandatory WA. If there is such a TEM and there is no WA counters on the "?" stack, they don't have WA. Of course, they can claim it in the first RPh.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I'm setting up Second Crack at Caumont as the attacking Americans. The Germans all set up concealed. Question:

There's no way I can know if the concealed units have WA, correct? Because WA status is claimed/rejected when the squads drop concealment... Do I have that right?
WA is the same for ordinary concealed units and unconcealed units, I believe. Are you asking about HIP?

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Even dummies can claim WA. They can't prevent a real enemy unit from claiming WA when they hold it, per B9.324, but otherwise they are identical to real, concealed units. Because real units can also give up WA when a real enemy unit attempts to claim it, the enemy can't be sure if the unit that just voluntarily gave up WA is a dummy or a real unit. In many situations it might be likely that the concealed unit is a dummy (e.g. when it was holding WA because it had no in-hex TEM), but the enemy can never be 100% sure.

JR

Last edited:

ASL Maineiac

Reaction score
Oh jeez. Got that wrong. Thanks. For some reason thought concealed units don’t carry WA counters. Ok, so follow up question about etiquette: If I’m playing someone who may not be the most experienced with bocage and how it impacts LOS, should I ask him if he wants his squads in buildings to claim WA in order to cover some important fields? I have an excellent flanking opportunity, but it’s because he has his concealed stacks in buildings without WA. Now, maybe I’m underestimating him and he plans to claim WA with his guys in RPh, but if not I think he’s in for a surprise.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Ok, so follow up question about etiquette: If I’m playing someone who may not be the most experienced with bocage and how it impacts LOS, should I ask him if he wants his squads in buildings to claim WA in order to cover some important fields?
You should crush him like a grape, then laugh at him when he cries. That way he'll really learn his lesson and be bitter like the rest of us.

I generally don't go poking into my opponent's tactics unless he's a new player or he's clearly missing something obvious (like failing to rally a broken SW). With WA it's a borderline situation. I would probably not point it out except to someone I knew was truly new to bocage and also had not had the chance to learn it (e.g. was playing at a tournament in something which had bocage and was not pre-announced).

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
On the other hand if it looks as though your opponent is going to munge the bocage rules, you might help him so you'll get a better game out of it. Probably won't help, though, as he won't have enough time to assimilate the information.

JR

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would clarify for both of our benefits. Those units in a building, they don't have WA so I can't see them and they can't see me until I am adjacent ... and then I have WA. Is that the way you understand bocage?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Larry wasn't asking a question. He was pointing out the tactics he would use to notify his opponent of his impending doom.
Guess I was fooled by the question mark (?) that was at the end of the sentence. :)

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
You should crush him like a grape, then laugh at him when he cries. That way he'll really learn his lesson and be bitter like the rest of us.

I generally don't go poking into my opponent's tactics unless he's a new player or he's clearly missing something obvious (like failing to rally a broken SW). With WA it's a borderline situation. I would probably not point it out except to someone I knew was truly new to bocage and also had not had the chance to learn it (e.g. was playing at a tournament in something which had bocage and was not pre-announced).

JR
Sophocles, Ajax 79 (Athena to Odysseus; tr. Hugh Lloyd-Jones):
Is not laughing at one's enemies the most delightful kind of laughter?

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sophocles, Ajax 79 (Athena to Odysseus; tr. Hugh Lloyd-Jones):
What is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
After doing just that - reading all the rules -especially the ones that contradict one another I would say the best thing is to
engage in a common sense strategy that................. makes sense.

Don't worry too much about the rules.. Coz they don't.

Though in your issue is far clearer..