Are there enough Starter Kit scenarios?

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You picked it up wrong I think.

From the SK3RB 3.3.5:

"After the amount of Residual FP left by any attack has been determined, it is reduced by one IFT column for each positive IFT or TH DRM caused solely by conditions outside the target hex (including TH DRM). This could include positive leadership modifires, CX status, and LOS hindrances."
Ah....

He's 12 so we are only on SK1. :cool:

I think for now we'll keep it as residual does not get reduced by hinderances.

JT

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why yes it is all three, however Jason is the only GO FOR IT FULL guy, Randy and Tom are playing the SKs with me one step at a time. I like doing it this way as I can gradually pick up on the rules AND both Randy and Tom like to do the old, well if this was full ASL you could a, b, or c...which gives me a peak at what I will be getting into in the future ;-)

I'll be meeting with Randy this weekend to continue my schooling...

As for the playing come on down, Tom and Jason go at it every Saturday and we could use a 4th.........
Would love to.... been trying to finagle a trip there for work actually. We'll see what pans out...

...and I meant that the guys would be encouraging you to go to full ASL *eventually*.

I totally think the SK's are valuable to ramp up on the game. My only point was I don't want newer players who've bumped their heads against the ASL learning curve to give up on it. It can be beat and when you get to the top its worth the ride.

JT

Mago67

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
No fire lanes, no concealment, no snipers, (this one I picked up on last night: residual is not reduced by hinderance in SK), etc.

The fact is ASL DOES take a long time to learn the rules well. The "I'm tired of looking up rules" emotion is one that ALL ASL players have been through. But if you just accept the fact that you are going to learn new things for a long time and play the game you can get through it and the journey can be a blast.

Just don't get too caught up on playing the "perfect ASL" game.

JT
For a lot of people reading many pages of rules isn't worth at all...
Even if the future pleasure could be so big as in ASL...
I teached the SK #1 to some guys, but when they look at the ASL RB they usually say "Nooo Thanks!"
:surprise::nuts:

You picked it up wrong I think.

From the SK3RB 3.3.5:

"After the amount of Residual FP left by any attack has been determined, it is reduced by one IFT column for each positive IFT or TH DRM caused solely by conditions outside the target hex (including TH DRM). This could include positive leadership modifires, CX status, and LOS hindrances."
The residual FP left by any attack ...was an errata present in the SK #1 ...it has been fixed with the next issues (#2 and #3)
;)

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For a lot of people reading many pages of rules isn't worth at all...
Even if the future pleasure could be so big as in ASL...
I teached the SK #1 to some guys, but when they look at the ASL RB they usually say "Nooo Thanks!"
:surprise::nuts:
From what I can see... most SK players are looking forward to making the leap to ASL. Maybe you just got into a bad patch?

Plus... having been involved in the ASL training program for about 16 years I can tell you that you have to choose your students carefully.

I wouldn't even invest SK time if I didn't think the commitment was there.

The residual FP left by any attack ...was an errata present in the SK #1 ...it has been fixed with the next issues (#2 and #3)
;)
Yeah, I came across this by accident last night. Too bad I didn't find it sooner as my son is kicking my butt and it would have been useful in saving a few squads from brokie/elr failure status.

So... do we have anywhere where we are compiling SK errata?

(I hope so, because the SL method of errata delivery, i.e. from RB to RB, was an abysmal failure. Its one of the primary reasons we have ASL!)

JT

Mago67

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
From what I can see... most SK players are looking forward to making the leap to ASL. Maybe you just got into a bad patch?

Plus... having been involved in the ASL training program for about 16 years I can tell you that you have to choose your students carefully.

I wouldn't even invest SK time if I didn't think the commitment was there.

Yeah, I came across this by accident last night. Too bad I didn't find it sooner as my son is kicking my butt and it would have been useful in saving a few squads from brokie/elr failure status.

So... do we have anywhere where we are compiling SK errata?
Maybe you are right... but I must also admitt that many Italian SK students are very lazy (and there's also the language problem too...)
:rolleyes:

You can find the SK #1 errata here...
http://www.multimanpublishing.com/errata/aslsk1-errata.php
;)

Joel4nier

Tanks are hard
Reaction score
I need MORE Starter Kit scenarios!!! Cool ones with cool SSRs and big ones. Mix up the nationalities, I like Brits, Itialians, and Partisans.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I too want more SK scenarios.

But I would also like to see the SK scenarios from the "Operations" magazine available for individual purchase (in a consolidated SK pack).

Joel4nier

Tanks are hard
Reaction score
I too want more SK scenarios.

But I would also like to see the SK scenarios from the "Operations" magazine available for individual purchase (in a consolidated SK pack).
I second that motion!! Or free downloads after say, three months or so.

dogred

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
i find it interesting to experiment and create some of your own scenarios using the available counters and maps from the starter kit series. the possibilities are great as you can either keep it simple such as infantry only, or add guns/ordnance, or re-create an historical battle scene.:)

Lehr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
i find it interesting to experiment and create some of your own scenarios using the available counters and maps from the starter kit series. the possibilities are great as you can either keep it simple such as infantry only, or add guns/ordnance, or re-create an historical battle scene.:)
I agree. I've been sick the past few days, so I did some random handful of counters on the map scenarios. Nothing historical about them, but they are fun and it helps me learn the game.

Javaslinger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was the impression that the 'jump' from SK's to ASL was actually very limited in the actual new rules involved. I thought that the bulk of the differences could be considered like the availability of new 'expansions' such as new nationalities, night, PTO, CG's, etc, etc.

Given this I'm confused why some would go leave regular ASL for SK's? If the allure is the faster scenario's and portability, why not just play more tourney sized scenario's??

Thanks,

Javaslinger

dynaman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL does have a lot more rules, then the SKs. And the rules interact in strange ways that are not always spelled out very well.

Joel4nier

Tanks are hard
Reaction score
I don't think to many people are leaving ASL for the SK's. If you already know the full rules, why bother? Me, I love the starter kits and think that the hard corps elites should cut us some slack because ASL is hard, just look at the difference between the first SK at six pages and the third SK at 84 pages. Well it seems like 84 pages anyway ( it's actually a slim 28 pages).

I also find the prospect of making scenarios intriguing but have not yet. I would like to make some cool infantry type stuff.