Anime

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kill la Kill

An anime where logic does not have a place

This is one of the rare animes that comes along and just about nails everything, characters, art, music, action, story, message, and.... fanservice. The show follows Ryuko as she tries to find and avenge her father's murderer. She shows up at a place called Honnouji Academy which is ruled by the iron fist of the student council president Satsuki Kiryuin and the elite four of the student council. Ryuko carries a large red blade which is incidentally half of a pair of scissors. To review the rest of the show would completely ruin it as its full of over the top twists and turns with action that makes DBZ seem like a playground slap fight (no joke, it puts DBZ action to shame). The show puts the petal down, adds boosters, rockets, jets, and whatever else and never stops until the very very very end of the show. The music just perfectly sets the mood with a mixture of rock n roll, heavy industrial metal, electronica, and even classical music. It not only sets the mood but is perfectly paced with what is going on in that scene (which usually involves lots of explosions and over the tippity top action). And the action is just incredible. In episode 3 we have the boss fight we all thought would happen in the last episode but nope, it's in episode 3 and you wonder, what can even top that one!?! Well, it gets topped, and I mean spectacularly topped.

Now lets get into the characters. This is one of the rare shows that has very strong female characters as both protagonists, villains, and supporting characters. Ryuko and Satsuki are incredible characters who are two of the best I have ever seen since Fey from Cowboy Bebop, Makoto from Ghost in the Shell, and many of the female characters from One Piece. Now, I know you are all waiting for me to talk about the fanservice and many of you know how much I loathe fanservice in anime and it is true, more often than not it completely ruins a character and or show. But in this show, it's an integral part of the show's story, message, and every single character. Yes, everyone gets naked. The men, the women, and even the youth. It is truly a glorious sight to behold when you realize you are not even phased by it because you understand what its significance is to the plot. It really is a great message which is never lost in all of the crazy stuff going on throughout the entire show, from beginning to end. And while the first 3 episodes appear to be going the route of regular fanservice, I urge everyone to continue watching the show and you will understand the reason behind the fanservice. For a show with so much of it, it is universally liked by just about everyone, both men and women which really says something about this show.

While Spinal Tap cranks up their sound to 11 I crank Kill la Kill up to 100/10. It's an instant classic that just cannot be ignored.

Here is a trailer or two:
[video=youtube_share;-ClQ7zkHtXY]http://youtu.be/-ClQ7zkHtXY[/video]

[video=youtube_share;B8qH5pIzeHU]http://youtu.be/B8qH5pIzeHU[/video]

You can catch the entire show on either Crunchyroll or Hulu for free (with commercials). It's subtitled but still very much worth watching if you're one of those who has preferences in that regard.

Last edited:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I might have to give this a look-see. I usually agree with your opinion on anime, so I really need to give this a watching ASAP.

Edit: Just watched the trailer. I like how they took Big Brother's dictum from 1984. :D Boy, those Japanese schools must really be traumatic places! :D

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I might have to give this a look-see. I usually agree with your opinion on anime, so I really need to give this a watching ASAP.
Cool! Luckily the show is finished so you'll have no problems watching it (its last episode aired the day before my post). Oh yeah and its subbed (forgot to mention that). There may be moments where you'll have to go back and reread a few things because it can get pretty overwhelming sometimes.

Edit: Just watched the trailer. I like how they took Big Brother's dictum from 1984. :D
I know right!!?

Boy, those Japanese schools must really be traumatic places! :D
I've actually heard that they can be really bad and that sometimes bullying can be quite rampant, starting in school and continuing into adulthood. In fact, its a very common theme in anime. I've watched and read a lot of high school and adult-workplace anime shows and mangas that I've picked up on that. Like there's a social hierarchy dependent on your family's social and financial standing. Here's a great article on the problem.

richmondster

***** reader
Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines
Kill la Kill

An anime where logic does not have a place

This is one of the rare animes that comes along and just about nails everything, characters, art, music, action, story, message, and.... fanservice. The show follows Ryuko as she tries to find and avenge her father's murderer. She shows up at a place called Honnouji Academy which is ruled by the iron fist of the student council president Satsuki Kiryuin and the elite four of the student council. Ryuko carries a large red blade which is incidentally half of a pair of scissors. To review the rest of the show would completely ruin it as its full of over the top twists and turns with action that makes DBZ seem like a playground slap fight (no joke, it puts DBZ action to shame). The show puts the petal down, adds boosters, rockets, jets, and whatever else and never stops until the very very very end of the show. The music just perfectly sets the mood with a mixture of rock n roll, heavy industrial metal, electronica, and even classical music. It not only sets the mood but is perfectly paced with what is going on in that scene (which usually involves lots of explosions and over the tippity top action). And the action is just incredible. In episode 3 we have the boss fight we all thought would happen in the last episode but nope, it's in episode 3 and you wonder, what can even top that one!?! Well, it gets topped, and I mean spectacularly topped.

Now lets get into the characters. This is one of the rare shows that has very strong female characters as both protagonists, villains, and supporting characters. Ryuko and Satsuki are incredible characters who are two of the best I have ever seen since Fey from Cowboy Bebop, Makoto from Ghost in the Shell, and many of the female characters from One Piece. Now, I know you are all waiting for me to talk about the fanservice and many of you know how much I loathe fanservice in anime and it is true, more often than not it completely ruins a character and or show. But in this show, it's an integral part of the show's story, message, and every single character. Yes, everyone gets naked. The men, the women, and even the youth. It is truly a glorious sight to behold when you realize you are not even phased by it because you understand what its significance is to the plot. It really is a great message which is never lost in all of the crazy stuff going on throughout the entire show, from beginning to end. And while the first 3 episodes appear to be going the route of regular fanservice, I urge everyone to continue watching the show and you will understand the reason behind the fanservice. For a show with so much of it, it is universally liked by just about everyone, both men and women which really says something about this show.

While Spinal Tap cranks up their sound to 11 I crank Kill la Kill up to 100/10. It's an instant classic that just cannot be ignored.

Here is a trailer or two:
[video=youtube_share;-ClQ7zkHtXY]http://youtu.be/-ClQ7zkHtXY[/video]

[video=youtube_share;B8qH5pIzeHU]http://youtu.be/B8qH5pIzeHU[/video]

too bad it's not available in our country :/ it looks awesome

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Earlier this year anime fans the world over were delighted to hear that Funimation not only purchased the license for Cowboy Bebop, but! They were dead set on rereleasing it as well. Suffice to say not only is Funimation rereleasing it, but so is Amazon! Both offer some great content in their exclusive editions.

Funimation:
View attachment 48025

* Complete TV series on Blu-ray and DVD (combo pack)
* Exclusive Limited Edition tri-fold packaging in the style of a vintage record cover
* Display easel for packaging
* Four exclusive art cards
* One additional exclusive art card with foil-stamp autograph from series director Shinichiro Watanabe
* As of 9/12/14 Market Price is $89.98 and pre-order price is $64.98 directly from FUNimation

Amazon:
View attachment 48024

* Complete TV series on Blu-ray and DVD (combo pack)
* Exclusive Limited Edition clamshell art box
* 140 page black and white art book featuring concept sketches and designs that highlight Cowboy Bebop's origins
* 48 page vibrant, full-color art book
* As of 9/12/14 the Market Price is $99.98 (pre-order is $89.98)

I'm tempted by the artbooks for the Amazon edition! Either way, I'm excited to see Cowboy Bebop being re-injected onto the shelves! It's just a shame that Toonami airs the show so damned late at night, or extremely early in the morning depending on how you look at it, and thus no one can actually watch this great series at all. Idiots.

[video=youtube;RI08P5SaJNU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI08P5SaJNU[/video]

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It's just a shame that Toonami airs the show so damned late at night, or extremely early in the morning depending on how you look at it, and thus no one can actually watch this great series at all. Idiots.
Do you not have a PVR?

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Was surfing funny anime clips online when I came across this gem. NSFW, a... so bad it's good! :laugh: :p

[video=youtube;tR9vnrlsQ3c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR9vnrlsQ3c&list=PLjYWveOt0Why9mpTRjHHYHTyd48yizkC6&index=4[/video]