Anime

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is what is called "slice of life" despite being in a sci-fi setting, it makes perfect sense when the series gets underway. Slice of life essentially means the story is following the day-to-day life of a characters or characters and sometimes a place like a village, town, school, etc..
That is exactly the type of sci-fi I love! In your post looking for sci-fi recommendations, I mentioned Stephen Baxter's Vacuum Diagrams. The reason why I am really enjoying this book is because it reminds me of the magic of another book I read long ago: Larry Niven's Tales of Known Space. Both these books have the same motif: universe-spanning stories of different people living, loving and working in a very big and very dangerous environment.

One of the things that so annoys me about popular sci-fi franchises, such as SW & ST, is that because they so tired to a central cast of characters, the universe shrinks down to a tiny little place. Where is the "epicness" of that? I guess this is why I consider The Twilight Zone to be my favorite sci-fi TV series of all time - because it wasn't tied to a single cast, the writers were free to roam the entire "zone" and tell innumerable tales that really made it seem alive and vibrant.

Oh what I would give for a modern sci-fi equivalent, sort of like The Naked City, but in space.

I'll have to check out this bit of anime. Thanks! I just rented Plantes, btw. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, though.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm going through everyone's posts right now, though probably won't post for a while yet. But the Vacuum Diagrams sound great.

And so true about Star Wars!!! (I have little knowledge of Star Trek and intend to keep it that way.) That's the biggest thing I despised about some of the follow on books I tried reading. Every single one had to have some major character from the movies or someone related to them. It's like, the Star Wars universe is HUGE, why does it always have to be about people using the force or some major character from the movies or related too???

And I sadly, never watched The Twilight Zone. I think I was born a bit after it had stopped being aired and the sci-fi channel stopped playing it before I understood what it was about.

What's, "The Naked City"?

And it's a great series in my honest opinion, however, and I cannot stress this enough, it's not everyone's demographics. It's target audience was elementary-middle school girls so the female characters make one too many awkward noises (trust me... it can be weird o_O). But the setting is so far from is usually out there that it's a nice change of pace for once.

And awesome! The manga was fantastic but I haven't been able to finish the anime, lemme know what you think of it.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Star Trek is the superior Magisterium. There's a lot more of it and because of that they were able to get into deeper stuff. However, as you will find will any set of TV that is made up of something upwards of five hundred episodes, there is some dross. Spock's Brain would not be the episode you want to start with. That being said they never reached the low point thta is Jar Jar Binks.

When they make Star Trek Lego I will buy all of it.

As for the Star Wars books, well I understand there's an offshoot set a long tome before the events of the movies called The Old Republic. Try those.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm going through everyone's posts right now, though probably won't post for a while yet. But the Vacuum Diagrams sound great.
I'm enjoying it. Just keep in mind that it is not mil sci-fi, but sweeping future history. There are some wars, such as against the god-like Xeelee, but you mostly hear about them in passing for the most part.

And so true about Star Wars!!! (I have little knowledge of Star Trek and intend to keep it that way.) That's the biggest thing I despised about some of the follow on books I tried reading. Every single one had to have some major character from the movies or someone related to them. It's like, the Star Wars universe is HUGE, why does it always have to be about people using the force or some major character from the movies or related too???
Yup...yup. Unfortunately, that seems to be SOP for most fiction these days, be it literature, movies, TV or gaming. While I can understand sticking with specific characters in certain genres - it seems to work well in fantasy, for example - it just serves to narrow the vast scope of a good, sci-fi setting. That is why I rarely stick with a particular series for long. I might find the characters initially interesting, but I don't want to find myself in a long term relationship with them. :D This is why I chaffe at the Star Trek reboot (do we really need to revist those characters again?!?), and why the new SW were so bad (Darth Vader...again?!?).

And I sadly, never watched The Twilight Zone. I think I was born a bit after it had stopped being aired and the sci-fi channel stopped playing it before I understood what it was about.
You HAVE TO watch The Twilight Zone! Like I said above, it remains the finest bit of sci-fi television EVER! Every episode was different - different characters, different settings (past, present, future), and different actors/actresses (some of the finest of that generation). Plus, Rod Serling hired some of the finest sci-fi writers of the time to help him (he was a fantastic writer himself). The Sci-Fi channel always runs a two day marathon on New Years Eve, so make a point to DVR it. :D

What's, "The Naked City"?
The Naked City was a TV series based on an Academy Award winning motion picture of the same name. It was like the Twilight Zone in that every episode dealt with different characters (played by top flight actors/actresses) in different situations. It was like TW, but about crime, desperation, and other noir-inspired themes. I loved the few episodes I saw of that classic series when it used to be on late night TV.

Here's the opening for one of the episodes. As you can see, it even begins like The Twilight Zone:

[video=youtube;-DIA_PtIZfc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DIA_PtIZfc[/video]

If I was a TV producer, the first project on my list would be to bring back these series that weren't tied to a single cast of characters, but told different stories with different actors from week to week. And like TW, I would make it a sci-fi series and call it The Naked Galaxy. :cool:

And awesome! The manga was fantastic but I haven't been able to finish the anime, lemme know what you think of it.
I watched the first two episodes and I am really enjoying it! It has a great space setting - mostly a hard sci-fi approach, but not slavishly so - and reminds me of the old TV series Wings, but in space. :) Again, really good so far. I think it would make for a great live action series.

If only I was a TV producer....:yummy:

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well well well I'm back for another resurrection. I can't help it. I huge fan of anime and there are some great stories, characters, and moments many miss out on because it looks like a "cartoon" despite some of it having very mature and graphic content like this next series I'm going to discuss.

"This is a work of fiction and is not an accurate historical portrayal... LIKE WE CARE! Now shut up and enjoy the show."

When Cowboy Bebop ended, not a lot of folks knew what the show's director was going to do next. I think we were all relatively surprised when Adult Swim added Samurai Champloo to their list next to the reruns of Ghost in the Shell, Inuyasha, and Cowboy Bebop. Taking place in 18th Century Japan just around the time when Japan was enacting its isolationist laws restricting foreign presence in the country we follow three mismatched characters as they travel throughout the main island.

Fuu, Jin, and Mugen are these very characters. Their journey carries them through parts of Japan and they find themselves in one situation or another. Fuu is attempting to find her dad and hired to both Jin and Mugen to aid her. Jin, a ronin who's past forced him to take the life of a ronin and Mugen, a ruffian from the Ryukyu's who fights using a form of capoeira are dragged into Fuu's journey. There is no lack of action and this action is faced paced, brutal, and accompanied by great animation and music which lends intensity to every fight scene even though you know they'll make it through somehow.

Earlier I mentioned briefly in another post that Samurai Champloo is hit or miss and this is true. It has a tendency to be episodic composed of a mix of serious, comedic, and action packed episodes. These episodes are sometimes strung together creating some of the best story arcs and episodes I've seen in any anime such as the 3-part ending (Evenescent Encounter) and the episodes "Gamblers and Gallentry" and "Bogus Booty." It knows how to pull its punches when it needs to and does so with style. And let me be clear, Samurai Champloo is not a very heavy show, its mostly an action/adventure/comedy show but every now and then it'll have a serious episode or two that don't manage to feel out of place.

The style is really something and I think it's a reason why so many people have had trouble liking the series. Like when Cowboy Bebop had a mixture of genres so does Samurai Champloo. The most noticeable is the use of hip-hop. Everything from the music, designs, lingo, and other things all carry a mix of the two. But the music is what helps set Samurai Champloo apart from a lot of other shows. The music is an excellent mix of instrumental hip-hop that incorporates other music like jazz and funk. It is injected juust right to help set the mood for a scene (like Arurian Dance or Sneak Chamber)or the whole episode when certain songs are played at the end (such as "Who's Theme" and "You"). While the music may not be for everyone, Shinichiro Watanabe was able to incorporate it into the series in a pleasing manner.

Lastly there are a few more things to take note of. First off be expected to encounter a lot of violence and swearing. I own the show and watched the entirety of it earlier today. My grandpa couldn't help but comment on how many times he heard it (don't worry no F-bombs or the big bad C word are used). What I don't think he gets is that the swearing, in my honest opinion felt natural and flowed well with the characters and story/stories. When it comes to the violence well... they use swords so you can expect lots of blood when characters are cut, decapitated, dismembered or in general something bad happening. And we now come to the voice work. Debates over the use of English voices (dub/dubbing) compared to the original Japanese voices which use English subtitles (subs) rage furiously but do not worry. Samurai Champloo's dub work, like its cousin Cowboy Bebop, is one of the very few animes that can claim to have dub work that is superior to the original Japanese voices. I've never watched it using the original Japanese voices, it's just that good.

Below is the trailer followed by a link to the first episode on Funimation's youtube channel. Hopefully you'll watch it and enjoy it as much as I do.
[video=youtube;6ANvMgx76SI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ANvMgx76SI[/video]

Episode One - Tempestuous Temperaments

Last edited:

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recently came across an anime series called Girls und Panzer.

Anime News Network describes its premise:
In this world, Sensha-do (戦車道), the art of tank-combat, is a traditional Japanese martial art for girls. Miho, a girl who just transfered into the Ōrai Girls' Academy in Ibaraki Prefecture, has been ordered by the academy's student council chairperson to join the school team and compete in the national Sensha-do championships.
I've only just started watching the show myself so I cannot really say much about it except that the tank animations are amazing. Also, I'm hearing that the producers of the show were inspired by the game World of Tank, go figure. Crunchyroll is kind enough to be releasing the episodes on their website (legally mind you) for people to watch. Below is episode one for those interested and a trailer if you don't want to spend almost 25 minutes watching high school girls go about their daily lives while part-taking in matches using World War Two era tanks. Sadly, I wish this were true in real life because it's a pretty f******g cool premise if you ask me.

Not exactly a trailer (the trailers suck by the way), but a good idea of what the tank action kinda looks like:
[video=youtube;R6jYkLytf18]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6jYkLytf18[/video]

Episode One - Tankery, Here it Comes

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I recently came across an anime series called Girls und Panzer.

Anime News Network describes its premise:

I've only just started watching the show myself so I cannot really say much about it except that the tank animations are amazing. Also, I'm hearing that the producers of the show were inspired by the game World of Tank, go figure. Crunchyroll is kind enough to be releasing the episodes on their website (legally mind you) for people to watch. Below is episode one for those interested and a trailer if you don't want to spend almost 25 minutes watching high school girls go about their daily lives while part-taking in matches using World War Two era tanks. Sadly, I wish this were true in real life because it's a pretty f******g cool premise if you ask me.

Not exactly a trailer (the trailers suck by the way), but a good idea of what the tank action kinda looks like:
[video=youtube;R6jYkLytf18]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6jYkLytf18[/video]

Episode One - Tankery, Here it Comes

World of tanks is like this all the time...

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh my, that looked exactly like WoT! :D Yeah, the producers are definitely fans.

Unfortunately, the whole WWII tank theme is a loser for me (just like WoT :p). I mean, the premise is weird enough, but limiting the girls to WWII equipment is just too much for me. :D At least give us futuristic, VR-enhanced tanks! I was hoping for something more along the lines of Leo Frankowski's quirky but interesting books, A Boy and His Tank, and its sequel, The War with Earth. Both deal with a future setting where men and women (outcasts, mostly) are matched with self-aware, AI-directed tanks. The primary purpose is to fight high intensity battles against various enemies that require the ultra-fast reaction times of an AI, but the tactical cunning of a human. But where the story gets really interesting is seeing how these human/tank hybrids use all the technology when not fighting in a battle. Since the tanks contain super-powerful AIs and VR technology, the human inside the tank can use both to create fantasy worlds to entertain himself while awaiting the next battle (I recall one tank driver created a replica of Middle Earth for his VR "vacation spot". :)). Another tank driver used the powerful analytical personality of his tank - the tank AIs all have unique personalities that reflect their inherent tactical strengths - to make millions in the stock market, which he then used to personally enhance his tank's capabilities.

Great stories.

Now that is the type of tank anime I would like to see one day. :cool:

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Oh my, that looked exactly like WoT! :D Yeah, the producers are definitely fans.

Unfortunately, the whole WWII tank theme is a loser for me (just like WoT :p). I mean, the premise is weird enough, but limiting the girls to WWII equipment is just too much for me. :D At least give us futuristic, VR-enhanced tanks! I was hoping for something more along the lines of Leo Frankowski's quirky but interesting books, A Boy and His Tank, and its sequel, The War with Earth. Both deal with a future setting where men and women (outcasts, mostly) are matched with self-aware, AI-directed tanks. The primary purpose is to fight high intensity battles against various enemies that require the ultra-fast reaction times of an AI, but the tactical cunning of a human. But where the story gets really interesting is seeing how these human/tank hybrids use all the technology when not fighting in a battle. Since the tanks contain super-powerful AIs and VR technology, the human inside the tank can use both to create fantasy worlds to entertain himself while awaiting the next battle (I recall one tank driver created a replica of Middle Earth for his VR "vacation spot". :)). Another tank driver used the powerful analytical personality of his tank - the tank AIs all have unique personalities that reflect their inherent tactical strengths - to make millions in the stock market, which he then used to personally enhance his tank's capabilities.

Great stories.

I usually read reddit during the battle launch 30 second countdown.

BTW my Type 59 commander is now a Major. Halfway through his fourth perk.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Great stories.

It's anime, what did you expect :p I like it myself for the tank animations. Also seeing a bunch of Russian armor in two of the episodes was pretty sweet as well as all of the German heavies and my personal favorite, the Stug III. However, the main girl's instructor uses a Leopard I believe, making me wish we'll see modern tanks one day. But a better show is Valkyria Chronicles. That show minus the witchery bs near the end was crap.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So it has been some time since I last posted in this thread. Since grad school has started things have gotten side-tracked all over the place. I also haven't had the time to really watch a lot of anime much to my chagrin :angry:. But recently I was able to find some time and watch a number of shows to completion as well as start a few others.

One of the shows I watched to completion was a 12 episode show called Kids on the Slope directed by Shinichiro Watanabe. This is the guy who did Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. And! With him doing the music for the show was the same artist who did Cowboy Bebop's music, Yoko Kanno. These two teamed up again and brought a manga, which I didn't know about till this show, to life. The story is as described:
The beginning of summer, 1966.

Because of his father’s job situation, freshman high school student Kaoru Nishimi moves by himself from Yokosuka to Kyushu to live with relatives. Until then, Kaoru was an honor roll student who tended to keep to himself, but meeting notorious bad boy Sentaro Kawabuchi starts to change him. Through his devil-may-care classmate, Kaoru learns the attractions of jazz and finds the first person he can call a “friend”. He also discovers how much fun it is to play music with a pal.

Other characters include Sentaro’s kind childhood chum, Ritsuko, who is the daughter of a record shop owner; the mysterious upperclassman, Yurika; and Brother Jun, the much-admired leader among their peers. Set against the backdrop of a seaside town with a scent of American culture, this series is a drama about young people coming into their own, crossing each other’s paths, and finding friendship, love, and music!
The show leads you through Kaoru, Sentaro, and Ritsuko's ups and downs during their high school years starting when Kaoru and Sentaro first meet. Both are social outcasts whose troubled pasts and current social hangups not only cause rifts between them and their classmates, but also with each other. Yet, despite each conflict that arises between the two, they resolve it, and usually this is done by playing jazz which is the main theme for the show. And these scenes when the characters played jazz were something special. Yoko Kanno and Shinichiro Watanabe did not hold back with these moments and alot of the time I wish that they were extended so we could watch the characters play more jazz and her Yoko's work at the same time. These combined would draw me into the scenes. The animation was not half-assed and you felt like you were really watching a live performance put on by the characters. And probably one of the best scenes I have ever watched in any anime is in this show. About mid-way through Kaoru and Sentaro have a big fight and both are being somewhat stubborn. Ritsuko is distraught because she sees both as her close friends fighting (though she has feelings for Sentaro though this eventually changes over time). This comes to a head when Sentaro decides to play drums for a pop band for their school's festival. Kaoru is jealous because Sentaro is the only friend he's ever really had and they stop hanging out. Though, as with these stories, power goes out and the pop band cannot use their electric guitars and bass. But Kaoru and Sentaro put on an impromptu jazz session in front the whole school and Ritsuko realizes that both boys are making up in their own way through playing jazz. It's a difficult scene to describe without giving too much away because it's a big moment in the anime when it happens. It's also one of those rare magical anime moments where afterward I was simply blown away.

What I loved most about this show is how nothing was overly exaggerated or over done. If you want a high school anime full of romance and comedy then I'd suggest School Rumble as you won't find anything of that sort here. Kids on the Slope handles its romance very well and there are moments where you can relate to all of the characters, both male and female. One thing that really worried me about the characters initially was that the female characters would be either week or the type that puts on a tough skin but is in fact very feminine on the inside. Nope, you won't find that here. Both the male and female characters show both weakness and strength and each is willing to show this in front of others at various times throughout the show. This makes watching their development very rewarding.

I already enjoyed listening to jazz and when I saw this show it made me love the genre even more. I don't watch a lot of anime based on the contemporary world as we already have plenty of live action movies and TV shows that cover that but almost none have a story like Kids on the Slope. Yoko Kanno's musical interpretations of some of the most legendary jazz artists are fantastic, catchy, and worth listening to time and time again. The characters have a touching, frustrating, and heart warming story to tell that is worth watching several times over even if the show does not follow the manga to its completion. Something I am very touchy about as the manga has a great ending that is wholly satisfying that also ties up many loose strings that the anime leaves unanswered due to where it leaves off. It could have easily been a 24 episode show because it leaves out some important moments that the manga delves into that are not covered in the last 2 episodes of the show. But I digress, the anime itself is superb and still worth watching. So! If you like jazz, want an anime that is set in the contemporary world; is as realistic as one can get with anime; and enjoy a good story of friendship, music, and love! Kids on the Slope is definitely worth your while.

You can watch the show in its entirety on HULU. Here is the show's website: Kids on the Slope

Here's the scene I was talking about earlier. You really just have to watch it the show up to this point.
[video=youtube;nZNPdUjaXys]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZNPdUjaXys[/video]

Some of Yoko Kanno's music pieces:
Some Day My Prince Will Come - Original by Bill Evans
[video=youtube;viwUgMVr2G0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viwUgMVr2G0&list=PL392549EA6617ADBD[/video]

Bag's Groove - Original by Miles Davis
[video=youtube;9AWGFdozCi0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AWGFdozCi0&list=PL392549EA6617ADBD[/video]

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh look! Yet another show by Shinichiro watanabe!! But you know what! The guy never fails at delivering so far. This new show will air on Toonami in January called Space Dandy!

Space Dandy is a dandy in space! This dreamy adventurer with a to-die-for pompadour travels across the galaxy in search of aliens no one has ever laid eyes on. Each new species he discovers earns him a hefty reward, but this dandy has to be quick on his feet because it's first come -- first served! Accompanied by his sidekicks, a rundown robot named QT and Meow the cat-looking space alien, Dandy bravely explores unknown worlds inhabited by a variety aliens. Join the best dressed alien hunter in all of space and time as he embarks on an adventure that ends at the edge of the universe!
[video=youtube;4ER28s114Eg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ER28s114Eg[/video]

Extended Trailer:
[video=youtube;XoZ2udQkr3c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoZ2udQkr3c[/video]

Despite the look of the trailers, I have faith that Shinichiro will deliver a solid anime.

In the meantime, I recently watched the new Trigun movie Badlands Rumble. Much like the Cowboy Bebop movie, this feels like an extended episode with, of course, much better animation. Outside of that it delivers on all calibers of what one would expect from Trigun. Comedy, great action, awesome artwork, solid music, enjoyable new characters, the Insurance Girls, Vash, and Wolfwood all show up and give us a great old time bringing back the magic of Trigun. The movie obviously takes place in the middle of the show, for which very obvious reasons if you saw it, will not be spoiled for those who haven't seen it. And I must say, I loved the fact that they didn't place the movie after the show. If you have netflix I highly recommend watching this, and even give higher recommendations to watch Trigun the series as well. It's a classic.

[video=youtube;jWBEG0VHCZ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWBEG0VHCZ8[/video]

Also picked up some GREAT news for anime fans looking to catch some movies:
The official Tumblr account for Adult Swim's Toonami block announced on Friday that the block will run four anime films in December.

December 7: Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira

December 14: Mamoru Hosoda's Summer Wars

December 21: Seiji Mizushima's Fullmetal Alchemist: The Movie - Conqueror of Shamballa

December 28: Satoshi Nishimura's Trigun: Badlands Rumble

Episodes of the first Naruto television anime will stop running on Toonami on November 30. However, the block will start running the Naruto Shippūden sequel on the same day in January that it will premiere another television anime, Space Dandy.
Of those, if you can catch them, I would go with Akira, Summer Wars, and Trigun

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh look! Yet another show by Shinichiro watanabe!! But you know what! The guy never fails at delivering so far. This new show will air on Toonami in January called Space Dandy!

[video=youtube;4ER28s114Eg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ER28s114Eg[/video]

Extended Trailer:
[video=youtube;XoZ2udQkr3c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoZ2udQkr3c[/video]

Despite the look of the trailers, I have faith that Shinichiro will deliver a solid anime.
I am definitely looking forward to Space Dandy (despite the name :)). It's funny: as I was watching the Twilight Zone marathon the last two days, I really admired and enjoyed how the TZ universe was alive and unpredictable - it could be dark, wacky, weird...anything. That's what made it fun. What I really dislike about modern sci-fi is how boring most sci-fi settings are. Modern sci-fi is like sitting through a tedious lecture by a professor of physics who is eager to erase all the magic and wonder of the universe with textbook "truths". I am reminded of Ian Watson's cutting satire in his "Science Fiction Convention of 2080" short story. In that story, the world lies in ruin after a natural disaster, and the last of the sci-fi writers gather for a convention. Some are very gloomy because they realize that the era of space exploration is over for a very, very long time. But a surprising majority actually are exultant because "the stars belong to them" once again. That is, like me, apparently a lot of other sci-fi writers are just sick of being told what is possible and what isn't in the universe. They want to bring magic and imagination back to the universe!

I hope Space Dandy follows in the footsteps of Futurama and, recently, Rick and Morty:

[video=youtube_share;F2KnFDfHm4o]http://youtu.be/F2KnFDfHm4o[/video]

LOL!

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So far Space Dandy has been an incredible hit and miss show. Either one episode really stinks, is totally meh, or at least half of it was really good. However, it seems the show finally showed off its full potential in episode 5. It reminded me of the best qualities of Shinichiro Watanabe's previous works (Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop) combined into one great episode. It had amazing visuals, character and story development, and of course great music. It was a big departure from the first few episodes. If the show continued on this route, it could easily be one of the best shows to come out in a loong time (at least in my opinion) and possibly becoming a science fiction classic within the medium. But we shall wait and see what happens. If anything, I'm loving the music of the show.

Here is a previews for anyone remotely interested:
[video=youtube;xhabrLfEUZ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhabrLfEUZ8[/video]

And here is one of the scenes I was talking about. It's best to see it in context so it's not ruined for you buut, it's just so well done!
[video=youtube;JScVZD-Lh5o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JScVZD-Lh5o[/video]

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't watched that episode yet! Think I'll call it up on VoD tonight. Like you said, so far the show has been very hit or miss.

Anybody watching Rick & Morty? I think this has the potential to be the next Futurama. It is very funny, but unlike Futurama's sci-fi reminiscing, Rick and Morty is blazing its own sci-fi path with some really interesting stories. I think the last episode was particularly good, especially the philosophical ending:

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

[video=youtube_share;DV-69cJoJfM]http://youtu.be/DV-69cJoJfM[/video]

Mazzy Star for the win. :)

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't watched that episode yet! Think I'll call it up on VoD tonight. Like you said, so far the show has been very hit or miss.
Okay so I'm going to have to say I think things turned around after episode 3 and the zombie episode. The show really hit its stride despite the absurdity of some of its episodes and Shinichiro was really killing it with music, action, scenes, art, and etc. He really is a master of his craft. I know for a fact I'm going to get my grubby hands on the OST when it comes out and am contemplating getting a Funimation or a Hulu accounts so I can watch the show in its entirety.

One of the best scenes in the show (there are many) with one of the best songs (again, there are many). All I can say is, enjoy:
[video=youtube;RVLwCLGz5hM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVLwCLGz5hM&list=PL53B5F369BB36EF3F[/video]

Anybody watching Rick & Morty? I think this has the potential to be the next Futurama. It is very funny, but unlike Futurama's sci-fi reminiscing, Rick and Morty is blazing its own sci-fi path with some really interesting stories. I think the last episode was particularly good, especially the philosophical ending:
Saw an episode this morning during breakfast. Hilarious. I'm going to have to catch more of this show. Thanks for the heads up about it.

Also, remember the good ole days of Toonami and Adult Swim bumps and promos?? So. Do. I. Here is an hour-long nostalgia crush of epic proportions.
[video=youtube_share;W0_ymAenMho]http://youtu.be/W0_ymAenMho[/video]

And a few select promos/intros/bumps:
[video=youtube_share;32IGGjkZrIk]http://youtu.be/32IGGjkZrIk[/video]

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Continued:
[video=youtube_share;Y0NJlTT1nRA]http://youtu.be/Y0NJlTT1nRA[/video]

[video=youtube_share;2a7clqqbHZI]http://youtu.be/2a7clqqbHZI[/video]

[video=youtube_share;Hha9rEGO1XI]http://youtu.be/Hha9rEGO1XI[/video]

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More.... Good god is this glorious. What the f*ck happened to TV!!??

[video=youtube_share;RYUM7h4SVsA]http://youtu.be/RYUM7h4SVsA[/video]

[video=youtube_share;M_w9b3Tl9EA]http://youtu.be/M_w9b3Tl9EA[/video]

[video=youtube_share;PjQsYlW1kvY]http://youtu.be/PjQsYlW1kvY[/video]