A Pinned Enemy Unit and a Routing Unit.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A enemy pinned is Adjacent to a broken unit. Does this unit interdict the routing unit for purposes of killing that unit for failure to rout? Ti

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A enemy pinned is Adjacent to a broken unit. Does this unit interdict the routing unit for purposes of killing that unit for failure to rout?
Interdiction is forcing a routing unit to take a morale check while routing. A pinned unit cannot interdict, i.e. it cannot force a unit to take a morale check while routing. A pinned unit cannot be routed towards, nor can a broken unit remain ADJACENT to a pinned unit.

JR

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Just to amplify what JR is saying, Interdiction (A10.53) does not force a unit to die. It does present the possibility of an already broken unit failing a MC and suffering CR for that failure.

A pinned unit can NOT perform Interdiction as per A10.53.

A routing unit cannot rout toward a pinned enemy unit as that quialifies as an armed KEU and could possibly die for failure to rout due to the presence of a pinned enemy unit blocking a rout path.

Edit: Correcting typo

Last edited:

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
A pinned unit can perform Interdiction as per A10.53.
I was with you until I saw JR answer. I went to the rules and read them slowly.... A10.532 ..”...Any unit whose FP is halved [EXC: mortars] (Pin, Motion, Mounted Firer, etc.) may not Interdict...”.

I’m starting to think that maybe JR is an AI/Bot from MMP...

Last edited:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The pinned unit will not 8nterdict. However if another unit can interdict the the pinned unit can take the surrender.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I was with you until I saw JR answer. I went to the rules and read them slowly.... A10.532 ..”...Any unit whose FP is halved [EXC: mortars] (Pin, Motion, Mounted Firer, etc.) may not Interdict...”.

I’m starting to think that maybe JR is an AI/Bot from MMP...
A typo on my part.....a pinned unit CANNOT perform Interdiction.

This will happen to you as well when you get older......

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JR, I reread your answer. And now conclude that the unit must die. The situation is that the only rout path of the broken 447 would force it to move directly past the already Adjacent pinned Rumanian 227. There is unbroken German 247 two hexes away, blocking it's only other path. Tim

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
JR, I reread your answer. And now conclude that the unit must die. The situation is that the only rout path of the broken 447 would force it to move directly past the already Adjacent pinned Rumanian 227. There is unbroken German 247 two hexes away, blocking it's only other path. Tim
If No Quarter isn't enforced, the brokie will surrender.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Yup, he's dead Jim. In a strict rules lawyering way (and if we're not rules lawyers what are we?) that is not "Interdiction" as defined in the rules but death for failure to rout.

Possibility of surrender depends on No Quarter in effect or not and who is possibly next to the brokies at the start of the rout.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
No, he surrenders as he is unable to rout away. If no quarter exists thenthen it is death through failure to rout.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
No, he surrenders as he is unable to rout away. If no quarter exists thenthen it is death through failure to rout.
Only if there is a unit ADJACENT to surrender to....which I cannot tell if that wuz the case from the original post.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Only if there is a unit ADJACENT to surrender to....which I cannot tell if that wuz the case from the original post.
enemy pinned is Adjacent to a broken unit. Does this unit interdict the routing

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A broken unit ADJACENT to a pinned unit can rout away without being subject to interdiction by the pinned unit.

A broken unit ADJACENT to a pinned unit that cannot legally rout away or cannot rout away without being subject to interdiction by other units will surrender to that pinned unit unless no quarter is in effect.

A broken unit ADJACENT to a pinned unit, while subject to no quarter, will rout away and either low crawl or take the interdiction MC. If unable to rout away, "they are eliminated rather than surrender." A20.21.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let me try and make it more clear. The pinned Rumanian 227 engineer half squad is located in the end of a row house. Adjacent is an abandoned German Panzer 3 J is sitting. My dubious plan was for the 447 to enter the tank. There is a German 247 half squad two hexes away in a Stone Building. The broken 447 cannot rout in that direction. The only hex back to a concealment hex is the next hex back, which is Adjacent to both the tank hex and the pinned 227 Rumanian unit. So he cannot surrender, but is eliminated. I think. Thanks for your help. Tim

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let me try and make it more clear. The pinned Rumanian 227 engineer half squad is located in the end of a row house. Adjacent is an abandoned German Panzer 3 J is sitting. My dubious plan was for the 447 to enter the tank. There is a German 247 half squad two hexes away in a Stone Building. The broken 447 cannot rout in that direction. The only hex back to a concealment hex is the next hex back, which is Adjacent to both the tank hex and the pinned 227 Rumanian unit. So he cannot surrender, but is eliminated. I think. Thanks for your help. Tim

Hard to picture the situation without knowing the actual directions involved. Do you mean "concealment hex" or route terrain?

Unless upper levels have been SSRed out the unit can route upstairs.

Seth

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Soon I will have the Vassal board! My new laptop is functional. Not sure why this is unclear. The broken 447 is in the same hex with a disabled and abandoned German Pan 3 J. It therefore cannot be in a building. There is no concealment terrain along the only rout path. And that one hex path is ADJACENT to the pinned Rumanian engineer half squad. The presence of the good order German 247 in a Stone Building two hexes away narrows the rout path to one hex. Tim

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Soon I will have the Vassal board! My new laptop is functional. Not sure why this is unclear. The broken 447 is in the same hex with a disabled and abandoned German Pan 3 J. It therefore cannot be in a building. There is no concealment terrain along the only rout path. And that one hex path is ADJACENT to the pinned Rumanian engineer half squad. The presence of the good order German 247 in a Stone Building two hexes away narrows the rout path to one hex. Tim
I suppose I am somewhat concerned....."Concealment terrain" seems to figure prominently in your rout path/target considerations?

When it comes to routing, Interdiction is not about concealment terrain but about open ground as defined by A10.531, and rout targets are only about those terrain types called out in A10.51.

Granted, often it might seem like its about concealment terrain, but it really isn't.